ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 Depth Chart

Not really sure on the RBs as of now. My current guess is we dont have an elite future All SEC back on the roster unless its that true freshman. I didnt see anything in the game to change that view.

We didn't run the ball wide too much in the UMASS game. When we did a few times with Scarlett we were very successful.

Reactions: GatorNation79
We didn't run the ball wide too much in the UMASS game. When we did a few times with Scarlett we were very successful.

Edit: Maybe things will change this week against KY but I would even call Scarlett averaging a bit over 5 yards a carry against a bottom feeder very pedestrian. I think our run game was so poor last season that any run of 5 yards or more looks very successful now no matter the opponent.

Last edited:
I have to disagree a little there. Maybe things will change this week against KY but I would even call Scarlett averaging a bit over 5 yards a carry against a bottom feeder very pedestrian. I think our run game was so poor last season that any run of 5 yards or more looks very successful now no matter the opponent.

I'm not one to join in on a message board harp of what others are harping about....but the OL was subpar (at best) Saturday night. That I'm sure played a factor.

I'm not one to join in on a message board harp of what others are harping about....but the OL was subpar (at best) Saturday night. That I'm sure played a factor.

Right. On a lot of backs had to make defenders miss in the backfield...that's unacceptable. Not sure what the backs are supposed to do when that's the case. Scarlett has the burst to get in and out of holes our other backs can't. With any type of blocking he'll be fine.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I have to disagree a little there. Maybe things will change this week against KY but I would even call Scarlett averaging a bit over 5 yards a carry against a bottom feeder very pedestrian. I think our run game was so poor last season that any run of 5 yards or more looks very successful now no matter the opponent.
I don't think you read a word I wrote. I said when we ran the ball wide we were pretty successful. We didn't do that enough. Either intentionally or unintentionally. We ran wide a few times right behind true freshmen RT Jaawan Taylor and were successful.

I don't think you read a word I wrote. I said when we ran the ball wide we were pretty successful. We didn't do that enough. Either intentionally or unintentionally. We ran wide a few times right behind true freshmen RT Jaawan Taylor and were successful.

I see your point there. I just have it stuck in my head how poor our running game was against that level of opponent. Those are the games where the RBs are usually popping a lot of 10 yard plus runs.

I see your point there. I just have it stuck in my head how poor our running game was against that level of opponent. Those are the games where the RBs are usually popping a lot of 10 yard plus runs.
Agreed but I also don't think we have any real explosive RBs either. At least not from what I have seen after the first game. They seem to get tripped up too easily

Agreed but I also don't think we have any real explosive RBs either. At least not from what I have seen after the first game. They seem to get tripped up too easily

I agree. Scarlett has some talent but he doesn't seem to be top notch elite in strength or elusiveness. I watched him follow his blocker a couple of times in that game right into a tackle when he just needed to pop it out to clear space beyond the blocker. He is pretty strong and has some elusiveness but not enough of either thing right now to be like some of the other top backs you see around the country.

Taylor is much better at RT than Johnson. The blocking on that side of the ball improved when Taylor went in to play. Not sure why Johnson regressed so much from last year.

As mentioned in earlier thread, Mac pulled a anti-Muschamp in the game. Passed the ball far more than was necessary, seemingly to give the whole team a lot of reps in the passing game.

I realize saying the offense played OK without considering the score is a bit stupid, but there it is. LDR had a decent game. The RBs did what they were asked, save for picking it up in pass protection. The WRs and RBs had a few dropped passes, but even with that, LDR completed over 65% of his throws. To be sure, most were short.

The defense was nasty, nasty, nasty.

Lost WR Dre Massey for the season on 1st play, ACL. Out for season.

Lost Nic/CB Duke Dawson in 1st Qtr with dinged up shoulder. Back for Gm 2 probable?

OLB Daniel McMillian still played most of the game after sustaining a high ankle sprain, probable?

Florida ended up playing 11 true freshmen against UMass.

RB Jordan Scarlett 13 for 70 yds, 5.4 ypc + one 8 yd rec.
However, running by committee is still the plan for UK.

Taylor is much better at RT than Johnson. The blocking on that side of the ball improved when Taylor went in to play. Not sure why Johnson regressed so much from last year.

As mentioned in earlier thread, Mac pulled a anti-Muschamp in the game. Passed the ball far more than was necessary, seemingly to give the whole team a lot of reps in the passing game.

I realize saying the offense played OK without considering the score is a bit stupid, but there it is. LDR had a decent game. The RBs did what they were asked, save for picking it up in pass protection. The WRs and RBs had a few dropped passes, but even with that, LDR completed over 65% of his throws. To be sure, most were short.

The defense was nasty, nasty, nasty.

Watching that again Fred Johnson does struggle with the speed rushers on passing plays. Taylor never really had to deal with them in the game due to it being those quick little passes or having a TE blocking beside him when he came in that time during the 4th quarter. On the running plays Taylor did push a couple of guys down the field pretty good when he was isolated with them. Unless Taylor has an even worse time dealing with the speed guys on the edge than Johnson when there is no TE beside him he probably should be given the chance to be the starter.

Lol so we really are going to pretend that the weather was a no -factor.?

Yeah yeah yeah...I know...excuses, right?

Along with all the players who were out...

THIS reactionary mentality is why nobody sticks around this board.

It's ABSURD. Nobody takes anything in to account and starts going nuts.

Lol so we really are going to pretend that the weather was a no -factor.?

Yeah yeah yeah...I know...excuses, right?

Along with all the players who were out...

THIS reactionary mentality is why nobody sticks around this board.

It's ABSURD. Nobody takes anything in to account and starts going nuts.

Danny I don't think anybody is overreacting. In fact all things considered I think the reaction to the game has still been mostly optimistic, especially about the QB who played well. But overall the offensive performance was disappointing, even Mac has said so. No way to sugarcoat it. I mean we're a team in Florida, we practice and have played in the rain all the time that just isn't a credible reason for 10 points through 3 quarters against that defense. And the people we had out were freshmen like Cleveland and Wells who have never done anything, why are we to assume they're the difference between 24 points and 40 points against Umass? And even if they were, they certainly weren't gonna help us block any better, which is where the issue is.

LOL. For real.

I'm expecting a nice bump this week, I think we put up a 30 spot. UK shouldn't give us much issues.

With several new starters and more than a dozen Gator players, playing in their first career game including the 11 tFr, the season opener was more about discovery than domination.

Not to mention the monsoon level rains that were the worst since the Idaho game. Lucky that the lightening stayed away.

So now we are blaming the IDF for looking sloppy in the rain? My goodness, bless our little hearts.

I thought I read where Mac had the special teams guys practice in the rain?

Maybe the reason I'm not all worked up and/or disappointed in that 1st game is that I wasn't expecting to see them come out firing both barrels against U-Mass. All I wanted to see was 50+ play in the game and win by a couple of scores (+17) while preparing for the rest of the season.

IMOHO, after game #4 is the time to bring out any justified criticisms. Before that, it's all a waste of breath, ink, ether... :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT