ADVERTISEMENT

Football We know this will get worse quickly if..... and some +/-

TheShining

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2021
We know this will get worse if:

-Graham plays against Samford. You have to give this game to DJ for so many reasons, and you have the perfect excuse.
-DJ or Graham plays and we decide to focus on working on the running game. We need to figure out how to chuck the ball all over the field and we need to work on pass protection. This is the perfect opportunity to work on both. If we don't then this is the same old stubbornness that will likely lead to the end of this regime by/after UCF. Samford will focus on stopping the run and daring us to beat them downfield. If we can't do it against them then we just can't do it. Please don't run in to loaded boxes.
-We keep the same bizarre substitution patterns. Okay maybe you want to get a bunch of guys reps against Samford, but for at least the first few drives (until we are up a few TDs) if you don't know who your best players are then you probably don't have good players.
-Samford makes a game out of this.

Not a lot of positives from Miami but what the hell.... I watched some of the game again.

Some Positives:

D
-Interior defensive line held up well against the run. No huge holes, everything fairly contested. Not spectacular but solid against a very good OL. It's a real shame about Lyons this could have been, and still may be, the strength of the team.
-LBs were solid. Pup was best player on field for us. Shemar will be solid. (I don't understand the substitution here as with many positions. Someone make it make sense)
-CBs were solid. Rarely out of position. Jackson will be solid along with Marshall. Jackson got beat on a perfect throw/catch downfield and there was some miscommunication on one TD, but I think he's a good player.

O
-RBs will be fine if not spectacular
-Slaughter will be very good this year
-Badger needs some work but he can be a player that is effective every week. Routes need serious work.
-Trey Wilson caught a slant, caught a quick pass out of the backfield - needs more touches which is hard when it's all three and outs.

Some Negatives:

D
-Our edge players were non-existent. Outside of Kam James Not one of them made a difference, not one of them made a play. This may be the most concerning thing on D from this game. I still don't understand why Kelby Collins was moved inside, but if he can only get 11 snaps inside, you are keeping one of your most talented players on the sideline. Searcy and Gumbs did nothing. If have no pas rush we are cooked. I'd rather have Kelby at rush end - at least he would push the pocket back and affect the QB. Maybe we need to change to a 4-3 or 4-2-5.
-Safety play. Castell lets everything in front of him get caught uncontested. DJ Douglas looks like just a guy. Asa wasn't good.
-D Moore is what he is at this point and there is no reason to expect him to ever be available consistently.

O
-Perhaps Graham being concussed, while awful for him, creates a situation where DJ gets every snap against Samford. How much more difficult is it to defend us if the QB can keep it on the zone read? Do Ds have to play us differently when the QB is a threat to break contain/scramble, does that slow down the pass rush. Will a more aggressive QB put more pressure on the D downfield? (my concern here is if Graham is cleared, Billy will be stubborn and think he needs the reps to fix things for the meat of our schedule - and DJ will only get a few series)
-If Manuel is good enough to take Barber off for three series, isn't he better than our right tackles? Again someone make the substitution pattern make sense
-We are so easy to defend. Teams know exactly what we are going to do, where our receivers are going. You don't have to contain in the pass rush, you don't have to keep someone in to spy the QB, Miami played man against us and dared us to try and beat them. Our routes did nothing to take advantage of man coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.