ADVERTISEMENT

We had 5 fouls called on us on 1 possession...around the 15 minute mark of the 2nd half

GordonGecko

Ring of Honor
Mar 29, 2002
I am really not a "blame the refs" person in general, but that was ridiculous. They called the 2nd half completely different from the 1st half.

It seemed as though for much of the tournament, the refs were letting the kids play in almost all the games I saw in all regions.

They were making VERY questionable calls in the 2nd half of out USC game.

As I recall the possession for South Carolina:

Touch foul UF, Carolina inbounds.
Touch Foul UF, Carolina inbounds.
Shooting foul UF,
1st made free throw
2nd free throw missed, USC rebound
Touch foul UF, inbounds
Touch foul UF, South Carolina in the bonus, 1-1 shooting.

I am pretty sure I have that right....5 fouls on UF on 1 Carolina possession...that put Carolina in the bonus with about 15 minutes left in the game.

If the refs called that game the way they called the UVA game, we destroy Carolina.

Even in the Wisconsin game, there were a lot of terrible calls...especially the last inbounds by UF. Hayes was absolutely MUGGED by 2 Wisconsin players and ended up getting knocked to the floor.....NO FOUL.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
It's not ever gonna change, we are viewed as one of the big time elite sports schools, yet are the only one that gets the opposite treatment of the others by officials. we are obviously the school everyone likes to watch lose to lesser teams as the upset kings

I was talking to my brothers at that time and yeah, that stuck out. Not just the number of fouls - 5 inside of a minute, but the point in the game. I mean - the other team is in the bonus with 30% of the game to go.

Just an observation - I'm no conspiracy theorist.

I will say this - Mike White should have gotten T'd up to make a point right then. Do you think a Coach K would have put up with that? I love White and he is great but he does have some growing to do at key points in big games.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
He's obviously very much like billy in putting up with it and keeping his cool, i was waiting for it especially towards the end when it was all over with... he looked a little surprised/wide eyed a few times they locked the camera on him by the moment and rattled himself, but he's young as hell, it's all a good experience for him just as much as the kids...

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I am really not a "blame the refs" person in general, but that was ridiculous. They called the 2nd half completely different from the 1st half.

It seemed as though for much of the tournament, the refs were letting the kids play in almost all the games I saw in all regions.

Shooting foul UF,
1st made free throw
Touch foul UF, inbounds

I am pretty sure I have that right....5 fouls on UF on 1 Carolina possession...that put Carolina in the bonus with about 15 minutes left in the game.

If the refs called that game the way they called the UVA game, we destroy Carolina.

Even in the Wisconsin game, there were a lot of terrible calls...especially the last inbounds by UF. Hayes was absolutely MUGGED by 2 Carolina players and ended up getting knocked to the floor.....NO FOUL.

You're right. 5 fouls, one possession, 40 seconds of game time, putting USC in the bonus at 15:08 in the second half.

There is no doubt the officiating was different between halves. South Carolina adjusted, we didn't. None of that would have mattered if we had made a few more shots and if we had not gotten lazy on offense and just settled for 3 after 3 after 3, not trying to penetrate to take advantage of the quick whistles.

It's utter nonsense to call the 2nd half differently than the 1st half.

I have probably watched all or part of about 30 games this tournament, and for the most part, the officiating was "OK"....not great, but reasonable.

5 fouls in 40 seconds is BULLSHIT.

I mean like UF/FSU football game in 2003 type BULLSHIT.

There is no doubt the officiating was different between halves. South Carolina adjusted, we didn't. None of that would have mattered if we had made a few more shots and if we had not gotten lazy on offense and just settled for 3 after 3 after 3, not trying to penetrate to take advantage of the quick whistles.
I agree with that point. However, it seemed the USCe players were still allowed to be more physical than the Florida players from that point on.

Yet calling offensive sets with no post player and refusing to throw the ball down low on multiple possessions and jacking up a contested three did not hlpe our cause at all.

Like most people say, this was a good learning experience for White. I hope the players get to use this kind of experience to their advantage next year, if they go deep into the tournament.

It is interesting that South Carolina is getting this rep as a physically dominant aggressive team. It is pretty easy to be physically aggressive when the calls are going your way.

Florida had tons of wide open looks from three in the second half that just didn't fall. Not sure whether the South Carolina's defense had much to do with that or not, but for as poorly as we played, we still had a lead with like 3 something minutes left in the game.

It'll be interesting to see what the perception of South Carolina will be after Gonzaga. sadgator just has a feeling that Gonzaga is going to totally blow them off the court.

For what it's worth, Gonzaga probably would have totally blown us off the court too.

Reactions: GordonGecko
It is interesting that South Carolina is getting this rep as a physically dominant aggressive team. It is pretty easy to be physically aggressive when the calls are going your way.

Florida had tons of wide open looks from three in the second half that just didn't fall. Not sure whether the South Carolina's defense had much to do with that or not, but for as poorly as we played, we still had a lead with like 3 something minutes left in the game.

It'll be interesting to see what the perception of South Carolina will be after Gonzaga. sadgator just has a feeling that Gonzaga is going to totally blow them off the court.

For what it's worth, Gonzaga probably would have totally blown us off the court too.

This is my consolation...Zags would have beat us....but it would have been nice to see UF in the Final 4.

Why does it have to be conspiracy talk to point out bad officiating? And it happens a lot for Florida, no matter what the reason is.. pointing it out is just pointing it out

Because your implication is that it happens to Florida for a reason.

sadgator will be the first one to admit that Florida has been the victim a few games (in multiple sports) where calls have been questionable over the past decade or so...

But you can't simply blame poor officiating after almost every loss we suffer...which, respectfully, seems to be something you do frequently.

Reactions: martycat1
Logically, I know that the bad calls, the propensity for spastic plays, the nobodies on other teams catching fire against us and raining 3s from all over the gym, the end-of-half three pointers (this seems to have eased a little bit under coach White), happen to everyone, and we just take more notice when it happens to UF, because we watch the team so closely. But I do find myself agreeing with a lot of Numbers' tinfoil hat posts.

It is an egocentric view of sport based on your focus and connection to one team. sadgator gets it, but if it was real, the media, particularly local media covering the team would be all over it...and they're not.

There are, of course rare times when obvious poor officiating is going to cost a team a game (i.e. The Swindle), but those are outliers and happen to every team from time to time.

The Fabulous Sports Babe used to have a line about poor officiating, "If you don't like the way a game is being called; score more points." sadgator firmly embraces that philosophy.

the foul differential was only four and florida only had three total fouls in the first half? would you call the first half evenly officiated then?

well to answer it frankly he may have traveled but, from the angle of the ref there was no way that he was able to determine when the player secured the basketball.

With the looseness of traveling being called especially with dynamic and free flow movement, that is probably the tackiest complaint you can make.

not to mention if you look at it closely it looks like chiozza may have swiped and knocked the ball loose at the end, and also block the refs view of the play

well to answer it frankly he may have traveled but, from the angle of the ref there was no way that he was able to determine when the player secured the basketball.

With the looseness of traveling being called especially with dynamic and free flow movement, that is probably the tackiest complaint you can make.

lol ok. Keep reaching.

It's utter nonsense to call the 2nd half differently than the 1st half.

I have probably watched all or part of about 30 games this tournament, and for the most part, the officiating was "OK"....not great, but reasonable.

5 fouls in 40 seconds is BULLSHIT.

I mean like UF/FSU football game in 2003 type BULLSHIT.

2003 -- SWINDLE in the SWAMP

2017 -- GOBSMACKED in the GARDEN

============

Why would UF shoot so many 3's late in the game?

UF drives into the paint and gets called for charging.
SCa drives into the paint and UF get's called for blocking or otherwise fouling.
WoW, those lamecocks are just a lot better team, obviously... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Shooting foul UF,
1st made free throw
Touch foul UF, inbounds

Even in the Wisconsin game, there were a lot of terrible calls...especially the last inbounds by UF. Hayes was absolutely MUGGED by 2 Wisconsin players and ended up getting knocked to the floor.....NO FOUL.

This was definitely the point in the game that I knew we were in trouble. That's the first time I've ever seen 5 fouls called in one possession. It was obvious the officials had an agenda at that point.

Reactions: GordonGecko
so in the first half when gators only had three fouls in the entire half they had another agenda? They had a roughly equal foul differential and were making their three's so why weren't they up more than seven at the half?

so in the first half when gators only had three fouls in tib e entire half they had another agenda? They had a roughly equal foul differential and were making their three's so why weren't they up more than seven at the half?
Gators had more than 3 fouls. But youre right, no agenda by the refs, but they called the game differently in the 2nd half. Our early foul trouble made us timid on defense.

so in the first half when gators only had three fouls in the entire half they had another agenda? They had a roughly equal foul differential and were making their three's so why weren't they up more than seven at the half?
Probably because we weren't in the penalty at the 15 minute mark like SC was and getting to shoot free throws every trip.

Foul differential is bs confetti imo. Call the fouls correctly. That should be the goal of the officials in every game.

If team A commits 5 fouls and gets called for 5 fouls, then team B commits 10 fouls but only gets called for 5 fouls, then the differential is even, but the foul call are NOT even handed or fair. o_O

On exact same plays driving in the paint, when team A gets called for charging at one end of the floor, then gets called for blocking at the other end of the floor, then that is BS by the officials. Coaches are restricted (and fined) from saying so in the post game, so it's up to the fans to give the chitty biased officials HELL :mad: on social media in the coaches stead.

And I don't care if the officials call a game tight or loose, as long as it's called the same on both ends of the floor. :cool:

This was definitely the point in the game that I knew we were in trouble. That's the first time I've ever seen 5 fouls called in one possession. It was obvious the officials had an agenda at that point.

It was just awful. Changing the way the game is called so dramatically between halves is simply ridiculous.

I'll go back to the Wisconsin game on the inbounds at the end of regulation. Wisconsin fouled the CRAP out of Hayes. They knocked him to the floor...no foul. I know it was a pivotal moment of the game, but Wisconsin didn't even allow Hayes the opportunity to catch the pass, they just knocked him to the floor.

Reactions: instaGATOR
They tackled robinson at the end

I knew when Allen got tackled at the 48 at the beginning of the game we were done

The rebounds and silly turnovers were the difference.

Add in Robinson went coldfish,Barry and Allen had a bad second half and next thing you know Carolina has a 14 point second half swing.

Could the refs have been more consistent? Probably. But UF lost this game.

Its basketball shit happens.

Still without Egbunu our dance was over. UF- Gonzaga was a bad matchup.

Probably my final words on the B-Ball season.

Billy Donovan (future HoF) led the Gators to 14 NCAA Tournaments over his 19 seasons, and to 12 over his final 15 years at UF.
BillyD's final season at UF was a 16=17 losing season, before the Thunder struck...

Coach Mike White as a Gator:
2015-16 9-9 SEC, 21-15 NIT (lost their NIT home games due to O'Dome renovations)

2016-17 14-4 SEC, 27-9 NCAA Elite 8
Two Season Totals 47-24 with two 21+ win seasons (.662), with 2 Post Season Tourneys.
===========

The PG Kasey Hill finished his UF career with 1,080 Pt's (47th), 527 Ast's (2nd) and 182 Stl's (4th) All Time. (what a bum, right?) :rolleyes:
Great Gator - Good guy, leaving with his degree, never in trouble, solid teammate. :cool:

This would be kinda like remembering Danny Wuerffel only for throwing 4 Ints in a losing game, or for losing big time in 95 to Neb.... o_O

Shooting foul UF,
1st made free throw
Touch foul UF, inbounds

Yeah and clemson got off this yr on us with bad calls. Whats ur point?

The rebounds and silly turnovers were the difference.

Add in Robinson went coldfish,Barry and Allen had a bad second half and next thing you know Carolina has a 14 point second half swing.

Could the refs have been more consistent? Probably. But UF lost this game.

Its basketball shit happens.

Still without Egbunu our dance was over. UF- Gonzaga was a bad matchup.

and how do you think those silly turnovers become so easy for the team playing with everything but helmets out there?

The sport is pure garbage in that tournament and the certain arenas around the nation.. it's just crap

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT