ADVERTISEMENT

Watched all of our games last night and every snap on both sides of the ball at least three times

Bull Gator
Sep 22, 2003
So I spent a solid three hours watching our games this year since I couldn't sleep last night watching film... The difference with play calling, check offs, throws, reads everything you name it is massively different in the games that LDR plays in comparison to Appleby.. Having him back is going to make a major difference for everyone and it takes some of the pressure off the young Bad OL. If he's healthy the offense will look much more effective and respectable... which will in turn help the defense out and overall play. This week will tell us a lot about where we are and can be if LDR is healthy enough to be effective...

Appreciate the insight, but ya'know,
It is so weird, sadgator waited all off-season for this season with the hope of a kid on Christmas Eve, and he is just so flat out exhausted and disappointed with it now 6 weeks in, that he is almost hoping for it just to end. Not sure why. Odd season. Odd feeling.

Reactions: seffnergator
From 247: I feel like we can make a good statement coming back," running back Jordan Scarlettsaid. "We've got Luke Del Rio coming back. Not knocking (Austin) Appleby at all, it's just that Luke is a little bit more comfortable with the offense and understanding points and stuff like that. I think we'll do a lot better come Saturday.

"It's an advantage because the DBs have to take account for him now, they're not all just playing the run," Scarlett said. "Luke takes a little bit of load off my shoulders. He has everybody in command. He's like a general. He calms everybody down in tough situations and brings us all together."

Appreciate the insight, but ya'know,
It is so weird, sadgator waited all off-season for this season with the hope of a kid on Christmas Eve, and he is just so flat out exhausted and disappointed with it now 6 weeks in, that he is almost hoping for it just to end. Not sure why. Odd season. Odd feeling.

After all the things that happen this weekend your tune should change dramatically

I just wish the Summers could get the O line to show a semblance of competence during his tenure! Geez
Why does LDR have to come back and take the slack off the O line. Don't they have any damn pride at all in themselves?

Last edited:
Michi, you are right. Florida will never be consistently good as long as we run this antiquated offense.
We want to run the ball so we put 3 TE in the game, that's great! But now we're running against a 9 man box. It's like goal line on every play. The whole point of the spread is to thin out the defense. To run against 5-6 man boxes with a QB that is a threat to keep it.
Nick Saban recruiting and then starting a freshman to run the spread should tell you all you need to know..... There simply aren't any pro-style QBs coming out of high school. There aren't any High school's running pro style offenses. Saban saw the writing on the wall. He saw himself getting beat by Tebow and Manziel and Kelly. He can sign anybody he wants and he can't find the personnel to run this offense. And yet Houston and Louisville and Clemson are some of the top teams in the country.
We are wasting our time.......

Reactions: instaGATOR
I won't say there aren't any of those players, it's definitely harder to find them though. It's just not really taught as much anymore, most HS QB's don't even know how to take a drop from under center. Taking a drop, turning your back away from the defense, then turning back around and ID'ing coverage is very hard to do. NFL QB's have near unlimited time to practice it and still only a few of them can do it consistently.

So from that standpoint I agree its easier to recruit for a different kind of offense. Having a pure drop back game with a pocket passer is also harder to block for. Why? The defense knows where he's gonna be every play and with no threat of him escaping, even for a 5 yard scramble, they can pin their ears back and crash the line with no fear. Even the most well designed plays will break down from time to time, we don't need to have RGIII or Lamar Jackson back there but you need someone who can make defenses pay 2-3 times a game when they lose contain. Not to mention utilizing a TE or an H-back the way we do just brings more people into the box making it harder to run the ball.

So given the fact that very HS schools run the type of offense we run and the fact that most QB's aren't trained to play in it, yea it probably doesn't make much sense to run that kinda offense. You can, but then its gonna take you 2-3 years to get guys ready to play and by then their eligibility is almost up. The reason true freshman QB's all over the country can come in and immediately throw for 3k in these other systems is because they play in a HS system for 3-4 years then get to college and can play in a similar system. You see it every year. Even at the NFL level now its basically arena league, QB's are in the gun with 3-4 receivers airing it out and going uptempo. We're sorta handicapping ourselves and basically hoping to out-talent other teams.

How is running the ball going to be different with the two QBs that has no effect on the run game?

it makes all the difference, especially due to the fact that del rio can actually check us out of bad situations.. somehow all of our other QB's besides him and Grier over the last 6 years are incapable of such simple things.

it makes all the difference, especially due to the fact that del rio can actually check us out of bad situations.. somehow all of our other QB's besides him and Grier over the last 6 years are incapable of such simple things.
It was so nice to see LDR actually read the defense and go through his progressions and check downs.

I haven't seen that since Brantley's first couple of games.

Lord knows Treon and Driskel didn't do it.

Please tell me, Geck, that you just didn't use Brantley as a benchmark.

Damn, you did. We've been that bad.

Well, to be fair, we don't know about Trask or Franks yet, since neither of them has had a single game snap so far....:oops:

I can agree with most of what you're saying on the QB's that have actually played in a game though. ;) But to my eyes at least, LDR also stares down the primary receiver too often, and/or doesn't check out of a bad play. Review the several times he's thrown into double or triple coverage instead of to the receiver in single coverage. o_O While Happy-by doesn't see the WIDE OPEN receivers that are right in front of him... :confused: He makes Driskel look like a prize imo.

While I generally like the current coaching staff, like any long time fan, I'm not always happy with their decisions on style of play or who gets on the field on game days. Such is college sports... :cool:

brantley was never as bad as people make him out to be, he was in the worst situation of any QB in my lifetime at UF.

I'd say that Brantley and Driskel were tied for that infamy... :cool:
(injuries, multiple OC's, lack of overall supporting cast, etc)

brantley was never as bad as people make him out to be, he was in the worst situation of any QB in my lifetime at UF.

I'll respectively disagree. When he lost his confidence, he was atrocious.

He lost confidence because he was had no chance to succeed, they were running the ball on first and 2nd down with dives then bringing him in on 3rd and longs just to pass lol.. The coaching was miserable, he was doing just fine until bama broke his body in 2011.

I agree, 2011 he was playing pretty good ball until Bama hurt him.

This is what I was referring to...I couldn't recall the specific year.

I recall he was having a good year and we even jumped out on top of Bama in that game where Brantley was injured.....then we absolutely went into the shitter for 5 years.

So I spent a solid three hours watching our games this year since I couldn't sleep last night watching film... The difference with play calling, check offs, throws, reads everything you name it is massively different in the games that LDR plays in comparison to Appleby.. Having him back is going to make a major difference for everyone and it takes some of the pressure off the young Bad OL. If he's healthy the offense will look much more effective and respectable... which will in turn help the defense out and overall play. This week will tell us a lot about where we are and can be if LDR is healthy enough to be effective...
I'm hoping so...flying in from Nevada with my son for his first live Gator game. He doesn't know yet but we're surprising him tonight for his birthday. I'm hoping for a more polished performance from the offense. Go Gators!

Reactions: sadgator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT