ADVERTISEMENT

W.T.H is going on here NFL? Dan Mullen, Kliff Kingsbury, Jim Harbaugh

PlutoDroid

Rowdy Reptile
Aug 16, 2015
Last week I read what I thought was a ludicrous story stating Dan Mullen was a candidate for NFL jobs.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...dly-a-target-for-nfl-head-coaching-vacancies/

Luckily that seems to have just been a musing though.

Until today it seemed we may not have a college coach follow the failed paths of Chip Kelly or Greg Schiano. That was until the Arizona Cardinals who moved on from their head coach Steve Wilkes after just one year , decided to hire recently fired Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingbury as their new head coach. Kliff had just been named the new O.C at USC.

With all the turnover and college systems working in the NFL I could easily see guys like Lincoln Riley or Dan Mullen getting more looks in the near future.

I doubt Dan will leave as he seems to be more of a college guy, but who knows. Silly season has commenced.

I actually think Mullen would be a good NFL coach. People are running his offense now, he’s really organized and covers the details and he can gameplan. Hopefully NFL gms keep hiring retreads and no hopers like Kingsbury. That would suck big time.

It makes sense in a way. Mullen’s main weakness seems to be recruiting. After a good season, especially with both FSU down and Miami losing its coach, UF should be pulling a Top 5 class right now instead of a Top 10-15.

The NFL is a good place for coaches who can coach but aren’t big time recruiters.

Honestly why isn't the NFL knocking down the doors of Clempson, Bama, maybe even UGLY for their head coaches? Why go after guys who just utterly failed at middle of the pack schools and got fired? Yeah yeah I know that the NFL game is completely different but why aren't the dangling the carrot in front of these top programs?

Saban was nothing special in the NFL. I don't know about Dabo, but the perception is that both of these guys are primarily recruiting savants, which doesn't translate well in the NFL.

Same thing with Urban before his health scares.

Plus they are already getting paid more than NFL guys.

The NFL is a meat grinder...if I was a good college coach head coach I would never go the NFL...plus Mullen is pulling a base pay of 6 million a year...he could be at UF for a long time where he has a lot of control. 2 bad seasons in the NFL and you're out, plus the front office is going to dictate at lot.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Last week I read what I thought was a ludicrous story stating Dan Mullen was a candidate for NFL jobs.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...dly-a-target-for-nfl-head-coaching-vacancies/

Luckily that seems to have just been a musing though.

Until today it seemed we may not have a college coach follow the failed paths of Chip Kelly or Greg Schiano. That was until the Arizona Cardinals who moved on from their head coach Steve Wilkes after just one year , decided to hire recently fired Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingbury as their new head coach. Kliff had just been named the new O.C at USC.

With all the turnover and college systems working in the NFL I could easily see guys like Lincoln Riley or Dan Mullen getting more looks in the near future.

I doubt Dan will leave as he seems to be more of a college guy, but who knows. Silly season has commenced.

Plz god NFL come get Mullen

Honestly why isn't the NFL knocking down the doors of Clempson, Bama, maybe even UGLY for their head coaches? Why go after guys who just utterly failed at middle of the pack schools and got fired? Yeah yeah I know that the NFL game is completely different but why aren't the dangling the carrot in front of these top programs?

It is all about the offense. The NFL, along with the rest of professional sports, has become all about entertainment. Get the best offensive minds you can. Find a capable DC. Hope for the best. Put lots of points on the board even if the team's record is not all that exciting.

It makes sense in a way. Mullen’s main weakness seems to be recruiting. After a good season, especially with both FSU down and Miami losing its coach, UF should be pulling a Top 5 class right now instead of a Top 10-15.

The NFL is a good place for coaches who can coach but aren’t big time recruiters.

When I see this post I just FU@KING SCREAM ARRRGGHHH!!!!

How do you get the GREAT recruits? You either WIN GAMES THE KIDS SEE ON T.V. or you do stuff you shouldn’t. Well we lost badly to U.K., Georgia and Missouri and it wasn’t until the END of the year that we got hot and beat the SHEE-AT out of Florida State and Michigan. We just pulled a 5 STAR OUT OF CALIFORNIA, signed 7 good O.Linemen to help replace our losses and the recruiting season isn’t over yet.

SIGH, NO ARRRRRRGGGH!! Ah, better now.

When I see this post I just FU@KING SCREAM ARRRGGHHH!!!!

How do you get the GREAT recruits? You either WIN GAMES THE KIDS SEE ON T.V. or you do stuff you shouldn’t. Well we lost badly to U.K., Georgia and Missouri and it wasn’t until the END of the year that we got hot and beat the SHEE-AT out of Florida State and Michigan. We just pulled a 5 STAR OUT OF CALIFORNIA, signed 7 good O.Linemen to help replace our losses and the recruiting season isn’t over yet.

SIGH, NO ARRRRRRGGGH!! Ah, better now.

Fair enough. Winning helps. But, remember: recruits aren't the same as fans. Kids who sign to Florida or FSU aren't necessarily doing it because they grew up as fans of the school. They want to succeed individually. They are getting their bodies beaten up with the goal of making it to the pros. Recruiting is about being able to credibly demonstrate how the recruits will have the opportunity to develop and potentially get into the pros. Winning is obviously a part of that, but you can get to the pros from basically any P5 team, so it's more about the right fit and relationships with the coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT