ADVERTISEMENT

Venables to OU

ESPN saying final details being finalized, so pretty much
Yeah. That's been the rumor.

Haven't heard anything officially even though that headline has been around about 3 days now.

Is Mario the Miami coach yet?

Come on man. Why do you keep jumping the gun because of "sources?"

I know Lincoln Riley going to LSU was obviously an accurate source but....wait....Lincoln Riley didn't go to LSU?

But the sources said!

Yeah. That's been the rumor.

Haven't heard anything officially even though that headline has been around about 3 days now.

Is Mario the Miami coach yet?

Come on man. Why do you keep jumping the gun because of "sources?"

I know Lincoln Riley going to LSU was obviously an accurate source but....wait....Lincoln Riley didn't go to LSU?

But the sources said!

Come on dude, its not difficult

Come on dude, its not difficult

I asked like 10 minutes ago if it was official official and your response was "ESPN

First time headcoach. Defensive guy going to Oklahoma and about to be in the SEC.

I think your response to us hiring Venables
would be very different than how great you think it is that Oklahoma hired him.

I asked like 10 minutes ago if it was official official and your response was "ESPN

First time headcoach. Defensive guy going to Oklahoma and about to be in the SEC.

I think your response to us hiring Venables
would be very different than how great you think it is that Oklahoma hired him.

When did I say it would be great??? Please tell me when???

Damn man, you know I would NEVER advocate for a DC as coach

I like Venables but I think he’s going to have his work cut out for him in the SEC

I think he just took a tough job as they head to the SEC.

The inly thing. And its a huge stretch, is the last time a SC turned down jobs for a decade until taking one was Kirby and that has worked OK.

That said, as always, I would steer clear of DC head coaches (and yes I know Saban is one but he is the exception)

Reactions: PacoGator19
I don’t like DC head coaches either at least not for UF. The issue I think is going to be recruiting for OU once they get into the SEC.

Reactions: sadgator
I think he just took a tough job as they head to the SEC.

The inly thing. And its a huge stretch, is the last time a SC turned down jobs for a decade until taking one was Kirby and that has worked OK.

That said, as always, I would steer clear of DC head coaches (and yes I know Saban is one but he is the exception)
Saban is the exception because oh how good he is and what the era was.

Ended up being the realization I had about Muschamp (and future Defensive head coaches).

Saban had made his bones and was moving into full CEO mode by the time a young Will Muschamp took the Florida job.

Saban is an oddity, but, so is Belicheck. They don't personally coach anything, but they run the ship, know their weaknesses and strengths, and hire very well.

They dabble everywhere.

I hope that Napier allows his ciaches to do a lot of the coaching and such and he can review and advise that plan game-to-game and then call the plays.

Ended up being the realization I had about Muschamp (and future Defensive head coaches).

Saban had made his bones and was moving into full CEO mode by the time a young Will Muschamp took the Florida job.

Saban is an oddity, but, so is Belicheck. They don't personally coach anything, but they run the ship, know their weaknesses and strengths, and hire very well.

They dabble everywhere.

I hope that Napier allows his ciaches to do a lot of the coaching and such and he can review and advise that plan game-to-game and then call the plays.

I think he gets there. I really do. But it may take a year of SEC HC reality to get him to see it.

Meyer was a great CEO as well. Napier knows what a CEO is but may have to struggle a bit first. Just like the GOAT Saban had to lose to Cam to realize he had to adjust offensively.

I think we are OK, I guess its just patience.

I absolutely love he has the Saban straight faced, all business attitude. I was laughing watching Harbaugh rah-rah in AA this morning while Kirby and Saban were hard at work preparing. Give me a grinder any day

I think he gets there. I really do. But it may take a year of SEC HC reality to get him to see it.

Meyer was a great CEO as well. Napier knows what a CEO is but may have to struggle a bit first. Just like the GOAT Saban had to lose to Cam to realize he had to adjust offensively.

I think we are OK, I guess its just patience.

I absolutely love he has the Saban straight faced, all business attitude. I was laughing watching Harbaugh rah-rah in AA this morning while Kirby and Saban were hard at work preparing. Give me a grinder any day

It's funny you say that because my reaction live was "okay he's not a rah-rah guy...good. Straight to business."

he has a lot of Saban maneurisms too (go back and watch.)

When I think back to our last three hires pressers, Billy was different. He didn't come in with a lot of parables (Clarabel) and he didn't seem overly intense (Muschamp and Mullen grasping the podium and whatever) nor too relaxed (Mac). He seemed composed and direct.

Yes, I know he also came across nervous, but who wouldn't be?

Optimistic. I really think he's bringing a very different attitude that we need.

If he starts handing out gum though...

More than anything it hurts Clemson. Their reign as kings of the ACC may be over.

It's funny you say that because my reaction live was "okay he's not a rah-rah guy...good. Straight to business."

he has a lot of Saban maneurisms too (go back and watch.)

When I think back to our last three hires pressers, Billy was different. He didn't come in with a lot of parables (Clarabel) and he didn't seem overly intense (Muschamp and Mullen grasping the podium and whatever) nor too relaxed (Mac). He seemed composed and direct.

Yes, I know he also came across nervous, but who wouldn't be?

Optimistic. I really think he's bringing a very different attitude that we need.

If he starts handing out gum though...

Look at Belichek, Saban, Meyer, etc, they are all no nonsense, no rah-rah. And look at the results

I remeber when MI hired Harbaugh and he tried to bait Saban, said he was taking his team to Rome and was going to beat the cheating SEC. Saban never responded, just stuck to doing business. Thats what we have.

This morning they asked Saban about a “watch party”. His response, thats not really our thing.

Look at Belichek, Saban, Meyer, etc, they are all no nonsense, no rah-rah. And look at the results

I remeber when MI hired Harbaugh and he tried to bait Saban, said he was taking his team to Rome and was going to beat the cheating SEC. Saban never responded, just stuck to doing business. Thats what we have.

This morning they asked Saban about a “watch party”. His response, thats not really our thing.

Yep.

And there's something to be said for that attitude (the smug over confident thing)Sometimes it works.

But I think Billy might be exactly what we need right now.

I want to say this as well.

His composure didn't come across as aloof or impersonal, but confident in how he knows his process can succeed.

Big difference between that and just trying to say the right things.

Time will tell, but I'm curious if nothing else.

Yep.

And there's something to be said for that attitude (the smug over confident thing)Sometimes it works.

But I think Billy might be exactly what we need right now.

I want to say this as well.

His composure didn't come across as aloof or impersonal, but confident in how he knows his process can succeed.

Big difference between that and just trying to say the right things.

Time will tell, but I'm curious if nothing else.

Billy may or may not be the long term solution but I 110% believe he IS what we need right now.

Billy may or may not be the long term solution but I 110% believe he IS what we need right now.

I'm also very impressed with his Lafayette results.

That place is so bad and he won a ton of games there even after taking over for Hudspeth and dealing his his probation.

I'm also very impressed with his Lafayette results.

That place is so bad and he won a ton of games there even after taking over for Hudspeth and dealing his his probation.

I like the wins, hate that so many are so close. I don’t like his offense. But fixing our broken system may require letting him learn as he goes. In the end we will be better off for this hire.

Like I said earlier, we already won with this hire as he has gotten the admin and boosters to support the structure needed to win.

He’ll get there, as much as I will bitch about the growing pains. And I will bitch

Their reign as kings of the ACC may be over.

96839092-602e-4455-aebe-88fc53db27a4_text.gif

They dabble everywhere.

Stoops the Younger is doing alright at Kentucky.

Maybe. But people predicted their collapse when Chad Morris left.
Yep and despite them struggling this year they still finished 9-3 (although didn’t beat anybody) think predicting a collapse is a bit premature after just 1 down season. If next year they struggle again then maybe the collapse has started. But right now they still recruit very well and have a very talented roster.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Yep and despite them struggling this year they still finished 9-3 (although didn’t beat anybody) think predicting a collapse is a bit premature after just 1 down season. If next year they struggle again then maybe the collapse has started. But right now they still recruit very well and have a very talented roster.
Kentucky had a lot of returning talent this year.

It was intended as a slight to just how bad the ACC is. It’s seems that Ih8f$u is so blatantly obsessed with the noles he can’t view a post about them objectively.

I’d be surprised if Clemson collapses. They’ve got a well-oiled machine up there.

It was intended as a slight to just how bad the ACC is. It’s seems that Ih8f$u is so blatantly obsessed with the noles he can’t view a post about them objectively.
I wasn’t really serious. I did forget the damned sarcasm font again! However, you aren’t wrong about the level of my hatred! I’m a pretty even tempered, mellow guy… until you bring up f$u! But hey, just rest easy knowing that someone is out there hating f$u as much as they deserve!

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Speaking of OU

"Coleman's reasoning for the highway renaming also included a lament of Riley's supposed lack of "professionalism," an interesting complaint to make when you are a state legislator calling for 3 inches of a highway to be renamed after a football coach you don't like."

I agree with that remark. Besides, they have no legit reason to be bitter just because LR didn't want to stay with them forever and ever....and because he made a common HC move.

If any politician pulled that crap in Florida, he would not get my vote in the future. Acting like a big baby wasting taxpayer money/time on stupid stuff.
Leaving banners around the stadium saying "traitor" and saying "we got this, what does usc got?" like that crazy ex-girlfriend.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's his deal. If you are ever in the mood to crap all over FSU, he's great for posting with.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
sadgator knows that the photo wasn’t taken in Oklahoma, but whenever sadgator thinks about that state all he can see in his mind’s eye is this…

migrant_mother_nypl.jpg

it must have been in one of sadgator’s high school text books in the chapter about the Dust Bowl…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT