ADVERTISEMENT

US and China reach trade deal, Trump wins again

GhostOfMatchesMalone

Ring of Honor
Oct 1, 2012

Deal will avert certain tariffs on Chinese imports.

#StableGenius Trump announces tariffs on China, dems and skittish repubs say he's a fool, killing the economy, doesn't understand how business works (right @bradleygator?)

Then at last minute, China agrees to a new trade deal to AVOID the tariffs.

#StableGenius. Let's all STFU and let the real businessman run our business.

Reactions: tatergator

Deal will avert certain tariffs on Chinese imports.

#StableGenius Trump announces tariffs on China, dems and skittish repubs say he's a fool, killing the economy, doesn't understand how business works (right @bradleygator?)

Then at last minute, China agrees to a new trade deal to AVOID the tariffs.

#StableGenius. Let's all STFU and let the real businessman run our business.

Lol: the deal would avert tariffs... other details weren’t immediately clear.

And here’s China, making sure everyone knows that the orange blob in a bad suit got nothing in return for canceling sanctions. Why couldn’t they just let him save face by announcing a “limited deal” to rationalize his pussing out on sanctions? Because he’s their bitch, and they want to make sure everyone knows it.

And here’s China, making sure everyone knows that the orange blob in a bad suit got nothing in return for canceling sanctions. Why couldn’t they just let him save face by announcing a “limited deal” to rationalize his pussing out on sanctions? Because he’s their bitch, and they want to make sure everyone knows it.

Your link is from the WSJ:

Sheep hoodwinked again.

BTW are we keeping score at home? Every single thread started here about good economic news immediately attracts liberals who are upset, mad at Trump, trying to say he's not doing what he says he is, etc.

Can't you people just be HAPPY that America is winning? Rush was talking about this yesterday; if Obama had done everything Trump has done, he would have given him credit, and if he didn't, his listeners would have called him out on it.

Because we love America. We love seeing America prosper and people get more jobs and better pay through better trade deals.

We love our country. Wish the left did too.

BTW are we keeping score at home? Every single thread started here about good economic news immediately attracts liberals who are upset, mad at Trump, trying to say he's not doing what he says he is, etc.

Can't you people just be HAPPY that America is winning? Rush was talking about this yesterday; if Obama had done everything Trump has done, he would have given him credit, and if he didn't, his listeners would have called him out on it.

Because we love America. We love seeing America prosper and people get more jobs and better pay through better trade deals.

We love our country. Wish the left did too.

I've got three kids and a job that depends on the construction industry. Nothing would make me happier than real, sustainable economic improvement. What you read from me is skepticism as to whether that's what we're seeing.

For instance the trade deal. From what I've read, what is being proposed on this "phase one" deal is that we roll back the tariffs we set two years ago and roll back additional levies, essentially in exchange for China agreeing to resume buying the farm exports that it was buying before the tariffs knocked them down 60 percent. Critics of the deal, trade groups not Democrats, say that we are giving up all our leverage, essentially to resume the status quo on farm imports without even asking China to address the other stated aims of the trade war: increased IP protections, increased access to the Chinese market for targeted US industries, etc... And by the way the $5 billion a month in tariffs is being paid entirely by US importers, not the Chinese, so at least the deal would give them some relief. Winning?

Reactions: DGlockUF
Today's Waco Tribune-Herald, the Washington Post wannabe, tells me 1049 people per day are moving to Texas. They need housing. 4000 jobs are open in Texas with no one with the skills to fill them.

My Latino brothers at D. R. Horton, Stylecraft and John Houston are still to busy to stop and chat. Visited all three this AM.

Charles Scwab is abandoning Gay Bay for the Metroplex. Kalifornia is anti-business. I just hope all these Illinois, Kalifornia and Puerto Rico people don't turn Texas into the sewers from where they came.

Reactions: DCandtheUTBand
For instance the trade deal. From what I've read, what is being proposed on this "phase one" deal is that we roll back the tariffs we set two years ago and roll back additional levies, essentially in exchange for China agreeing to resume buying the farm exports that it was buying before the tariffs knocked them down 60 percent.

Tariffs stay in place. Sheep hoodwinked once again.

I've got three kids and a job that depends on the construction industry. Nothing would make me happier than real, sustainable economic improvement. What you read from me is skepticism as to whether that's what we're seeing.

For instance the trade deal. From what I've read, what is being proposed on this "phase one" deal is that we roll back the tariffs we set two years ago and roll back additional levies, essentially in exchange for China agreeing to resume buying the farm exports that it was buying before the tariffs knocked them down 60 percent. Critics of the deal, trade groups not Democrats, say that we are giving up all our leverage, essentially to resume the status quo on farm imports without even asking China to address the other stated aims of the trade war: increased IP protections, increased access to the Chinese market for targeted US industries, etc... And by the way the $5 billion a month in tariffs is being paid entirely by US importers, not the Chinese, so at least the deal would give them some relief. Winning?
To your final point, no, not really. In the normal model, and in form the US consumers do pay it. But often times, producers have to also reduce their margins to mitigate the effects of the tariff.

China is not on a normal model, and has more reasons to eat more of the tariff. China depends on State Owned Enterprises, and heavily subsidized private business. Because of the tariff, China has to put more money into the products, it can not all be placed on the consumer. China can't take the risk.

Prices have not really gone up at a higher rate than they were before. Because of that, we know China is eating a lot of it.

China is in bad shape, actually. They peaked in number of people in the workforce recently. It won't be too long until their population peaks, and then it will decline.

Their economic numbers are ho-hum, they have to import all there energy, we could cut them off at any time. China doesn't even have access to the sea except through our permission because of the first island change.

The real danger in China is that the Communist regime falls too soon, and becomes more open and prosperous society, due to increased economic freedom.

But the Chinese have lots of things working against them. They've peaked.

I'd be shocked if Trump caved to them. They're not in a strong position, and though we no longer hold all the cards, we still hold most of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT