ADVERTISEMENT

Urban retires...again

Give it time for the venom to subside. He'll be inducted into the ring of honor. (Unless he "un"retires again!

If ND was in a position for a coach in 2 years he might have coached again but it looks like that timing won't work out good like it did with OSU.

Am I the only one here that doesn’t expect him to stay retired?

On the other hand I don’t think he will come back for love of the game. He won’t sully his record at a mid level school.

He should be...but he never will...too many butt hurt folks to let him in...shame...

How in the world can he not be in? Guy will go down as a top 5 college coach of all time and he won 2 chips for UF. I could see doing it on moral grounds if your point is that his teams were filled with delinquents. But I don’t think that’s it I think it is butt hurt. Based on performance, it’s an absolute no brainer.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I know he's an all time great coach and did great things in a short time at Florida. But to be included in the high stratosphere that is the UF Football Ring of Honor takes more than just winning 2 national titles. At least that's my opinion. I'm not "butt hurt" over him leaving UF, which some seem to think is the only reason anyone could logically be against his inclusion. There are simply some moral & ethical clouds hanging over his legacy that should and probably will keep him off that esteemed Ring of Gator Greats. If his overall career achievements, or at least the majority of them, had been at Florida, maybe that would make a difference. But he spent 2 years at Bowling Green, 2 at Utah, 6 at Florida (although the last year was a lost year in which he was not really there) and 7 years at Ohio State. So only 35% of his head coaching tenure was at Florida and that's just not enough for him to be put in such an exclusive club, especially with the character "issues" that surfaced in both Gainesville and Columbus.

Reactions: emekz1
With 66.6 % of our National Titles. In.
Criteria to Merit Consideration
  • Heisman Trophy Winners (Spurrier, Wuerffel)
  • Former UF All-Americans Inducted into NFL Hall of Fame for Accomplishments as Players (Youngblood)
  • Former UF All-Americans Who Are NFL Career Category Leaders (E. Smith – rushing)
  • Collegiate Career Category Leaders
  • Coaches with UF National Championships (Spurrier)
  • Coaches with at least 3 UF SEC Championships (Spurrier)
  • Players with 2 or more consensus All-American honors (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, AFCA, FWAA, UPI) who have also been named National Offensive/Defensive Players of Year (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, ABC, AFCA, FWAA, UPI)

Urban meets the ROH criteria & I get what you're saying, Sad. I just don't think it's gonna happen.

If ND was in a position for a coach in 2 years he might have coached again but it looks like that timing won't work out good like it did with OSU.

Been a lot of talk floating around (coming from the close knit group of NFL agents who have these guys at both levels) that Brian Kelly knows his stock will never be higher at Notre Dame than it is right now, and would be willing to leave for an NFL job.

Which means....Meyer would be back in action.

Reactions: keyzer soze
I actually think he is truly done this time.

And I don't blame him. The man just wants to win some football games. He clearly doesn't like dealing with the politics and player (or coaching staff) personal behavioral issues.

Football has become far more political over the past few years. Meyer isn't mentally cut out for this brave new world. I think the events of this year have made that clear to him. He sincerely can't understand why he can't just coach football and not have to deal with other people's personal business. In a way, I completely sympathize, but I'm not a football coach getting paid millions.

I actually think he is truly done this time.

And I don't blame him. The man just wants to win some football games. He clearly doesn't like dealing with the politics and player (or coaching staff) personal behavioral issues.

Football has become far more political over the past few years. Meyer isn't mentally cut out for this brave new world. I think the events of this year have made that clear to him. He sincerely can't understand why he can't just coach football and not have to deal with other people's personal business. In a way, I completely sympathize, but I'm not a football coach getting paid millions.

I mean... from that perspective, sure.

But the guy has a degree in psychology and he's appliedit very well to football.

You could tell that he didn't understand what the whole Smith thing had to do with him and honestly probably didn't think it should effect him. These guys live in their own world. In amuch lesser way, it was like Paterno.

I still don't blame Paterno. But I understand the mindset. At some point in a career, wveryrhingis about your career and being the best (in these cases it's high profile college football). I think you tend to brush some things under the rug that you wouldn't if your were ina normal job.

Anyway, regardless of that, I think Meyer will coach again, but if he doesn't, kudos to him. Butid be shocked if he doesn't.

I see things all the time that my employees do that I'm not a fan of (now granted, nothing on any scale like what Paterno or Meyer potentially knew) but I go about my business because MY business is growing and expanding the company and brand. I've been very successful at that. But I do have employees that lay out of work after a paycheck from time-to-time and I KNOW that it's because they got some extra cash on a Thursday and got drunk or high and we're sideways Friday morning.

Depending on the employee, I can live with that.

Which I guess makes me even more confused as to why Meyer wouldn't deal with Smith.

The guy was basically a nobody assistant. Let him go.

He says he isn’t coming back this time. We will see. A guy like him and the way he is wired he’s going to get that itch again.

How in the world can he not be in? Guy will go down as a top 5 college coach of all time and he won 2 chips for UF. I could see doing it on moral grounds if your point is that his teams were filled with delinquents. But I don’t think that’s it I think it is butt hurt. Based on performance, it’s an absolute no brainer.
Name me a college coach in the state of Florida that fielded a championship team since the 80's that didn't have delinquents. Bowden had plenty. Any Miami coach had them. Spurs had them. Jimbo had had a star who's name always came up in sexual assult reports. Looking at things, Bowden's tenure was impressive. The rest it possibly played a role in them looking elsewhere have it be NFL or another college job. Spurs, Jimbo, Urban, Jimmy Johnson, and Butch Davis (not even a championship coach).

He has had health issues and he obviously puts his all into coaching,

He looks pretty bad for 54 at the moment.

He needs to chill and enjoy himself for a while.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Zero chance he’s done for good. 54 years old, no way a competitor like him can permanently call it a quits this early.

Like Jon Gruden (who was making plenty of money in a stress free role), the itch will become too much. Only difference is Urban is actually a good coach.

Don’t want him at FSU though. People keep saying ND, but I don’t see that either. They run too clean of a program.

Name me a college coach in the state of Florida that fielded a championship team since the 80's that didn't have delinquents. Bowden had plenty. Any Miami coach had them. Spurs had them. Jimbo had had a star who's name always came up in sexual assult reports. Looking at things, Bowden's tenure was impressive. The rest it possibly played a role in them looking elsewhere have it be NFL or another college job. Spurs, Jimbo, Urban, Jimmy Johnson, and Butch Davis (not even a championship coach).

I agree completely. But I can at least understand that perspective, although I think it’s pretty naive.

Zero chance he’s done for good. 54 years old, no way a competitor like him can permanently call it a quits this early.

Like Jon Gruden (who was making plenty of money in a stress free role), the itch will become too much. Only difference is Urban is actually a good coach.

Don’t want him at FSU though. People keep saying ND, but I don’t see that either. They run too clean of a program.

Urbs would not go to FSU.

He should be...but he never will...too many butt hurt folks to let him in...shame...

I say if Mullen can getter going next season let him in. Urban is retiring due to cyst in his brain or medical issues he’s dealt with for awhile and he still Coached. He won 2 NCs for UF so if anything he has earned it. With Meyer UF would still be looking for that 2nd NC today. Give the guy credit he recruited well and got the job done Saban just picked him apart and well it’s about to happen to Saban very soon. There’s always somebody better.

Not totally shocked...

Let’s see how easy it is for OSU to replace...got a feeling they are in for a wake up call.

Speaking from experience? Lol I say we let him sit out a yr...then offer 20 mill a yr for four yrs... Bring in Freeze as OC, Butch Davis as DC.... Win 4 NC and then be on probation for 50 yrs....worth

Reactions: TennesseeGator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT