ADVERTISEMENT

UK gameplan/scheme analysis (GNFP Film added)

James_R

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2019
I wanted to look at the film to see what we were actually doing on offense and if we had any opportunity - basically asking myself we AR struggles because the scheme was not effective against what UK was running, were there no open WRs and so forth.

The below is only an analysis of the 1st half and I also don't want to get into coaching decisions like going for it on 4th down because those are not scheme decisions - however, the personnel choice of throwing it to fraziers over the guy we gave the #1 jersey is quite baffling to me.

UK was running A LOT of zone defense. A lot. Probably >90% of the time they were in zone at the back end. They opened the game with a 2 high shell safeties to guard against big plays over the top but as they realized what we all realized - AR can't complete passes - they slowly started to 1) bring their safeties 10 yards or less to the LOS and often going 1 high or zero high on obvious running downs (1st and 2nd), also depending on our personnel grouping. If we brought in 3-4 WRs they didn't often play as tight but they still mostly left their LB's on the field even in those situations because they didn't fear us throwing it all. On obvious pass downs UK would come tight to the LOS and then drop 7-8 into coverage flooding the pass lanes but again - in zone - so that everyone had their eyes on AR. They were not going to make the same mistake Utah did and get caught in man let us clear out an entire side of the field and then have AR take off for 40+ yards while their DB's have their backs to the ball.

anywhere, here is some of the passing plays in the first qtr.

One this play if AR hits Ricky in stride it at worst a huge explosive play but most likely a TD.
ricky-1.jpg

RIcky has to dive for this ball:

ricky-3.jpg

On this play UK brings TWO guys on a blitz from AR's right - the old adage of "throwing into the blitz" would have been yet another explosive play because as you can see there is only 1 defender on that side of the ball and a 2 UF wr's.

one-defender.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News