ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Gators defense?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Adding on to an earlier thought on the defense.

I see a lot of excuses for our defense posted trying to mostly blame the offense not doing much for many of their shortcomings but I don't see it that way at all even though they are clearly not the weak link of the team like the atrocious offense is.

No excuses for our defense imo because in the Tenn game we ran the same amount of plays in that 2nd half Tenn did and after their first score in the 2nd half they were literally scoring every time with just 3 and 4 play drives which shouldn't tire any defense out. The same with this Arkansas game they were getting gashed in the run game even before the game was out of reach. I think our defense isn't as tough as many think it is just because they feasted on crappy offenses in all of our wins for the most part. If you watch some of those Arkansas plays their O line (the best one we have played and maybe the only O line that was average for an SEC line) manhandled our D linemen.

If we were playing in the SEC west I dont even think FL would be in the discussion of being one of the eilite defenses in the country. This is not the defense from last year on the D line.

Watch our game against LSU and see how they hold up. Bama wasn't hardly scoring on LSU and their defense held up the whole game just fine but I bet our defense folds against that hard nose rushing attack unlike Bama once they get punched in the mouth a few times. They are a little soft imo and only our pass defense is close to elite.

GF, doesn't Mc extol LDR's 'leadership' abilities in getting all of those around him on the team to play better. That supposedly balances out any perceived shortcomings that he might have as a player at QB....

LDR is there as the starter 'because he makes everyone around him on the entire team better.' --- That's in Mc's on words....

Poor Luke, he would have been smarter to have stayed at OreSt.....
He seems like a really fine kid, and good everywhere but on the field on game days. Too bad,,, all the way around... :cool:

Last edited:
GF, doesn't Mc extol LDR's 'leadership' abilities in getting all of those around him on the team to play better. That supposedly balances out any perceived shortcomings that he might have as a player at QB....

LDR is there as the starter 'because he makes everyone around him on the entire better.' --- That's in Mc's on words....

Poor Luke, he would have been smarter to have stayed at OreSt.....
He seems like a really fine kid, and good everywhere but on the field on game days. Too bad,,, all the way around... :cool:

Did Mac really say that? lol

Adding on to an earlier thought on the defense.

I see a lot of excuses for our defense posted trying to mostly blame the offense not doing much for many of their shortcomings but I don't see it that way at all even though they are clearly not the weak link of the team like the atrocious offense is.

No excuses for our defense imo because in the Tenn game we ran the same amount of plays in that 2nd half Tenn did and after their first score in the 2nd half they were literally scoring every time with just 3 and 4 play drives which shouldn't tire any defense out. The same with this Arkansas game they were getting gashed in the run game even before the game was out of reach. I think our defense isn't as tough as many think it is just because they feasted on crappy offenses in all of our wins for the most part. If you watch some of those Arkansas plays their O line (the best one we have played and maybe the only O line that was average for an SEC line) manhandled our D linemen.

If we were playing in the SEC west I dont even think FL would be in the discussion of being one of the eilite defenses in the country. This is not the defense from last year on the D line.

Watch our game against LSU and see how they hold up. Bama wasn't hardly scoring on LSU and their defense held up the whole game just fine but I bet our defense folds against that hard nose rushing attack unlike Bama once they get punched in the mouth a few times. They are a little soft imo and only our pass defense is close to elite.

To be fair to UF's defense, Arkansas had two weeks to clean up their act after their blowout loss to Auburn (3-55). The razorbacks were just more physical than UF's defense. Arkansas' offensive line seemed to get some kind of leverage on many of our defensive players who could not get off their blocks too well. Arkansas had this 6'10" OT who gave trouble to our DE's like CeCe Jefferson. Our linebackers were being blocked out of many running plays and they could not cover (their tall TE) or adequately provide underneath support in pass coverage. During this season, I saw many teams gash the Florida defense right up the middle for many big runs: i.e, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Missouri, etc. I don't know how many running backs were able to get 100+ yards on our defense.

When Florida's defense tried to play more physically, some of the players seemed to get hurt when they gave up their bodies to make plays. It was tough to see. After the game, I think that there were many defensive players lost to injuries.

Injuries: C Cam Dillard “probably going to be out,” LB Alex Anzalone “will probably be out,” KOR Chris Thompson “will probably be out,” LB Jarrad Davis “will probably be out.” LB Kylan Johnson “will probably be back” and WR Tyrie Cleveland “probably will be out.”

Last edited:
We setttled down for a bit, but then fatigued ultimately did us in. In our first 8 possessions we had I believe 6 punts, 1 int and then end of the half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT