ADVERTISEMENT

The Offensive Line Assessment

thebowlgame

Baby Gator
May 7, 2020
Avid college football fan and not a rival. Wondering how you guys feel about the O-line. I remember it being a big concern last year with Taylor and crew gone, but this could be a good year upfront.

Seems like there is a solid starting five this year with Reese transferring in. I assume Forsythe will remain at LT, but Gouraige or Reese could push Delance inside.

If that happens the line should be pretty good, no?

The roster is good now with experience, quality, and depth. The starters are yet to be determined with many different guesses on who plays where. The OL is projected to be improved for 2020, but we'll have to wait and see how it all unfolds.

~ There are 5 FNG's commits that are currently in the 2021 class.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatorNation79
I appreciate the response. The retooling of the OL has been pretty impressive. I remember how bleak things looked on paper.

Helped that Heggie was able to stay healthy too.

I appreciate the response. The retooling of the OL has been pretty impressive. I remember how bleak things looked on paper.

Helped that Heggie was able to stay healthy too.

Team wide 'healthy' is always a big contributor for any team seeking championships.

Here's one guess on the starters, but it's just an iG WaG...

LT Gouraige 6-4 298 rsSo - 12 Gms in 2019, 5 starts at LG
LG White 6-5 330 So - 6 Gms in 2019, 1 start at RG
OC Heggie 6-4 330 rsSr - 12 Gms in 2019, 12 starts at LT & RT.
RG Reese 6-5 345 Grad-Sr - former starter RT & RG at MsSt
RT Forsythe 6-7 329 rsSr - former starting LT

Any of the other OL'men could make a summer/fall move to become a new starter.

The O-line has consistently been the weakest spot on the team since Urban Meyer left, IMO. Dan Mullen has addressed the problem from Day 1 and the combination of bringing in better players, having improved strength & conditioning and having John Hevesy as the position coach, the Gators have made major improvements on the line and it will become a team strength very soon.

The O-line has consistently been the weakest spot on the team since Urban Meyer left, IMO. Dan Mullen has addressed the problem from Day 1 and the combination of bringing in better players, having improved strength & conditioning and having John Hevesy as the position coach, the Gators have made major improvements on the line and it will become a team strength very soon.

I agree. Should be another very good season and maybe even a great one.

Would like to see the recruiting take the next step with the on field results though. It has been very good but feels like it should be even better with the team playing so well in back to back seasons.

As someone who plays UF every yr, their o lines the last 2 yrs have been avg but looked good. against us since we dont have a dominant pass rusher. If you want to see terrible o line play, watch us play offense

Reactions: instaGATOR
I believe the o-line did a good job last year protecting the QB allowing him time to make reads. The O-line however seemed below average opening up holes for the running backs to go through. Hopefully this year we can have a better running game and keep up on the passing.

Reactions: thebowlgame
I believe the o-line did a good job last year protecting the QB allowing him time to make reads. The O-line however seemed below average opening up holes for the running backs to go through. Hopefully this year we can have a better running game and keep up on the passing.
Totally agree....we couldn't run the ball very well but they did a heck of the job in pass protection. I've said it several times...it's usually the exact opposite with a new line but it worked. I expect us to be much better all around. Seeing how we come out of half time and take games over shows us that (IMO) the great coaches that can coach the players up....also the players are used to a system for 2 years and they aren't learning a new offense or coaching staff...some teams are going to struggle with no Spring Practice - with new coaching staffs or DC or OC.

A new 3rd year rsSo LT that's around 6-4 300, with a mean streak and quick on his feet.
Then the other 4 that average 6-5 335, (2 rsSr, 1 Sr, 1 So).
And they are now about 3 deep across the OL.
There darn sure should be some holes for the RB's this time around.... o_O

Oozie nailed it with the run game problems. He said it wasn't being physically out matched, but rather missed assignments.

The roster is good now with experience, quality, and depth. The starters are yet to be determined with many different guesses on who plays where. The OL is projected to be improved for 2020, but we'll have to wait and see how it all unfolds.

~ There are 5 FNG's commits that are currently in the 2021 class.
Does "FNG" translate to F'ing New Guy? That's what it meant in Viet Nam

Oozie nailed it with the run game problems. He said it wasn't being physically out matched, but rather missed assignments.

I hope to blame that on having four new offensive line starters. That would mean this year there is a real chance for improvement.

That, or Chuckin New Guy.... or something that rymes with chuckin' anyway... ;)
Kinda like leaving VN was an AMF...(adios) :D

This is the thing I keep trying to explain to the fleas. Oline isn't about recruiting stars, it's about working as a unit. Having 4 new oline starters means assignments will be missed. It's inevitable.

I remember back in the day how Nebraska had it all figured out. They would recruit an entire Oline every season and train them together from day 1. While this meant they were replacing the entire line every year, they were bringing in a new unit that had trained together for 4 years. The scholly reduction to 85 ended that, of course, along with the de-emphasis of the walk-on program. But I digress.

The point is that these kids now get thrown together and are expected to act as a unit, but you can't do that until you've formed the unit, which takes time. Hopefully our 4 returners have gelled and can get the new guy up to speed and be better this year. But Georgia's line is taking a step back. No way around it.

The SEC's excuse for game officials can make a HUGE difference in an OL too... o_O

In 2019, UF was the #2 Def in the SEC, and #1 in Sacks.

But @ NC LSU, (28-42) -14
And vs UGly (17-24) -7

The officials called ZERO holds on any pass play the entire freakin' games. o_O

Does anyone here really believe that both of those OL's played 100% perfect games? :rolleyes:
And did so against the SEC #1 sack leading defense??? :confused:

And I know that the officials know what OL holding looks like, because they had no trouble calling in on the Gator OL.... :oops:

JMOHO of course, but that's not the 1st, nor likely the last time, that the SEC officials will BONE da GATORS... :mad:

Kind of...F*ck New Guy from UGA that talks crap on our site...you're welcome but don't be a jerk. You have a great program and I have a lot of respect for your program. My Uncle was a RB for you back in the day.Today you guys are a little to cocky for us. If you get out of line PACO is going to put in on the sidelines.

Team wide 'healthy' is always a big contributor for any team seeking championships.

Here's one guess on the starters, but it's just an iG WaG...

Any of the other OL'men could make a summer/fall move to become a new starter.

This is a good list, except White doesn't fit the LG mold. The LG is often the most athletic OL (sometimes LT) and even slimmed down White is more of road grader.

This is a good list, except White doesn't fit the LG mold. The LG is often the most athletic OL (sometimes LT) and even slimmed down White is more of road grader.
We'll see how it plays out but we have a great team right now, real good players in every position and Mullen/team keep stacking talent...developing things. It's easy to be excited again.

Ethan continues to slim down. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I caught a rumor that he was down from 370 last fall, to in the 330-335 range and continuing to work. As to being 'athletic' you know that he also played B-Ball in HS, right? The Run game was considered the problem in 2019, so a LG road grader is good imo.

LG EWhite 6-5 330 rsSo (a start at RG in 2019)

OC BHeggie 6-4 330 rsSr

RG SReese 6-5 345 Grad-Sr (Athlon preseason 4th Team All SEC)
At MsSt, he started at RT, then switched and started at RG in 2019.

So, would you switch Reese and White? (not me)
Or did you have someone else on the roster in mind for LG?

I don't agree with this. The tackles have to be able to get out of their stance quickly and move fast enough to stay in front of those speedy DE's. Guards have to be big and strong enough to keep those DT's from shoving them back into the QB. Road graders at the guard spots is just what you want.

I think most coaches want the more athletic offensive linemen to be tackles, as they have to move quickly to defend rush ends and blitzing linebackers. Guard are bulky behemoths who can hold up to inside pressure on pass plays and plow ahead to clear a path in the running game.

I don't agree with this. The tackles have to be able to get out of their stance quickly and move fast enough to stay in front of those speedy DE's. Guards have to be big and strong enough to keep those DT's from shoving them back into the QB. Road graders at the guard spots is just what you want.

Guards don’t just block DTs, they have to be able to pull so that they can help lead block against a Linebacker or seal the DE and they are the most likely to have to combo block by chipping a DT or NT and then go to the second level.

Guards don’t just block DTs, they have to be able to pull so that they can help lead block against a Linebacker or seal the DE and they are the most likely to have to combo block by chipping a DT or NT and then go to the second level.

See, when you say athletic, that to me says nimble, quick on their feet, good lateral movement, low center of gravity. That's a tackle. Guards have help on either side, don't have so much space to block. Also, if you want a guy to chip a DT and go to the next level, that's strength, not footwork.

See, when you say athletic, that to me says nimble, quick on their feet, good lateral movement, low center of gravity. That's a tackle. Guards have help on either side, don't have so much space to block. Also, if you want a guy to chip a DT and go to the next level, that's strength, not footwork.
Don't disagree with your point...but I think you need both. We have a great coach on the O Line. We've done a great job with a very thin roster. We're better now than we've been on the O Line for almost 10 years. As the O Line develops we're going to kill teams on offense. The most encouraging thing is how realistic that Mullen is about the 'state of the nation' as well as the corrective actions that he's taking.

Did you miss or just ignore the fact that OG White played B-Ball for his HS team?
Not athletic,,, doesn't seem to fit that in my book.... :rolleyes:

If he could run up and down the court, then I don't think that being a pulling guard is out of his reach or his ability... o_O

Edit Addition:
OG/OT Joshua Braun 6-6 358 Fr (6th or 7th man, competing for starter)
https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-five-freshmen-impact-2020

Last edited:
Where will they line up at to begin the 2020 season,,,
just an iG W-a-G and some wild speculations.... :cool:
Only my best guess on 2020 Ht/Wt, those won't be established until Sept.

LT Gourage 6-4 305 rsSo --- Moore 6-5 305 rsJr or Tarquin 6-5 279 rsFr
LG White - 6-5 355 So ------- Braun 6-6 356 Fr or Mincey 6-4 335 Fr
OC Heggie - 6-4 330 rsSr --- McDowell 6-3 295 rsSo or Eguakun 6-4 294 rsFr
RG Reese 6-5 345 Grad-Sr - Harrod 6-5 334 rsFr or Simonds 6-4 305 rsFr
RT Forsythe 6-7 329 rsSr ---- Delance 6-4 313 rsSr or Walker 6-4 275 Fr
-
- OL Leonard 6-2 330 Fr
- OL Rowell 6-2 283 rsSr
- OL Thomas 6-2 316 rsFr
-
TE Odom 6-5 250 Fr - Excellent TE blocking skills with soft receiver hands
- TE Lang 6-5 253 rsSo
- TE Gamble 6-3 241 rsJr

Moving 1st Team AA TE/WR Kyle Pitts 6-6 239 Jr to full time match-up nightmare WR.
Tempted to put TE Zipperer 6-2 232 So in at slot WR as another match-up nightmare.

Last edited:
Kind of...F*ck New Guy from UGA that talks crap on our site...you're welcome but don't be a jerk. You have a great program and I have a lot of respect for your program. My Uncle was a RB for you back in the day.Today you guys are a little to cocky for us. If you get out of line PACO is going to put in on the sidelines.
I have been very cognizant of being a "guest" on this site. I don't think you can show me any instance of me being obnoxious.

I have been very cognizant of being a "guest" on this site. I don't think you can show me any instance of me being obnoxious.

Maybe not obnoxious like most other fleas, but certainly clueless concerning the Gators.:D

I don't mean this in any confronting way, so let's discuss. I've been seeing a lot of prognosticators pick Florida to win the East this upcoming season. The last 4 years, your recruiting classes have been #s 9, 17, 8 and 8. I know that you had a good OL and a good RB transfer in and the talking heads think Kyle Trask is going to be good but it seems like, the way UGA has recruited, they should have better talent. What am I missing?

Better coaching from top to bottom would be a start. o_O

While '3rd and Grantham' with his defensive staff just put 3 former 3 star D-Linemen into the NFL, plus a 4 star CB in the 1st Rnd Top 10. :cool:

Last edited:
Maybe not obnoxious like most other fleas, but certainly clueless concerning the Gators.:D

Better coaching from top to bottom would be a start. o_O

While '3rd and Grantham' with his defensive staff just put 3 former 3 star D-Linemen into the NFL, plus a 4 star CB in the 1st Rnd Top 10. :cool:
My lack of knowledge about the Gators is why I initiated this post. You've done a good job educating me. Another statistic that I would like to hear you pontificate on is Florida's national ranking in the running game last season. I saw where you were 107th in the country. Now, experience is a huge factor on the OL and your guys have another year under their belts, but Lamichael Perrine (sp?) was your top back and he is gone. How much can you improve those running game numbers?

My lack of knowledge about the Gators is why I initiated this post. You've done a good job educating me. Another statistic that I would like to hear you pontificate on is Florida's national ranking in the running game last season. I saw where you were 107th in the country. Now, experience is a huge factor on the OL and your guys have another year under their belts, but Lamichael Perrine (sp?) was your top back and he is gone. How much can you improve those running game numbers?
I would say there is only 1 way to go but up. Our running game struggled last year but UF still managed to finish in the top 10 in the country. RB won’t be a problem.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

That number was a bit skewed. In our system you need a QB running threat to make it really work. Trask is not much of a runner. In addition, the Oline was a bit better at pass protection than run blocking. Finally, we somehow had a ton of really good, experienced receivers. So we threw the ball more than we ran, 54-46, which is very unusual in a Dan Mullen system.

We seemed to run the ball better in the bowl game, which was encouraging, although losing the spring and summer isn't going to help. Best case would be this transfer comes in and meshes with the group quickly, he's a big strong guy, and MSU had a better running offense than we did last year, hopefully he was a big part of that.

I don't kid myself that we are going to be an elite Oline, but I think, if the pieces fall into place, we should be top 5 SEC. And the young guys coming up seem to be pretty talented, it's possible one or two could beat out an incumbent by midseason. That happened midseason last year, could happen again.

Fortunately, we are trying to improve on 107. Shouldn't be too difficult. Like someone else said, nowhere to go but up.

Last edited:

2019 Run blocking was the main problem causing 'inconsistent' performance.
That looks to be greatly improved for 2020.
(road graders)

Any of the other OL'men could make a summer/fall move to become a new starter and the quality depth problem continues to be addressed.

Perine had a 5.4 ypc with 6 TD's - NFL Jets
Pierce had a 5.6 ypc with 4 TD's as the Soph backup.

RB Damion Pierce 5-10 207 Jr **** (broke H.Walkers GA HS record)
RB Malik Davis 5-11 195 rsJr **** (broke Ray-Ray McClouds HS record)
RB-FS Iverson Clement 5-11 193 rsSo **** (backup at RB & FS)
RB Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 195 rsFr **** (recruited by Saban & Smart)
#2 RB Lorenzo Lingard's 6-0 200 ***** rsSo xfer from Miami
(cleared to play in 2020 - Natl. 25/100, on campus and working out)

Mullen & staff's game planning and game day play calling.
Keep in mind that Trask did as well as he did while overcoming a lack of a consistent running game to help keep the pressure off him. o_O

Pontification complete.... :cool:

What happens now that UF has lost 4 Sr WR's to the NFL, plus a 40 rec. Sr RB?

Per Dan Mullen - They should be a major part of the offense in 2020:

WR Rick Wells 6-0 202 rsSr - 9 Gms
WR/RB Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 Sr - 7 Gms, injured out, 10 rec
WR Trevon Grimes 6-5 214 Sr - 11 starts, 33 rec
TE/WR Kyle Pitts 6-6 239 Jr - 12 starts - lead team with 54 rec
WR Jacob Copeland 6-0 192 rsSo - 13 Gms, 21 rec

TE/WR Keon Zipperer 6-2 232 So - 8 Gms (3 for 33 yds)
-----
Will certainly be in the 2020 rotation.
WR Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 217 rsFr - 3 Gms
WR/FS Trent Whittemore 6-3 192 rsFr - 2 Gms
WR Dionte Marks 6-2 178 rsFr - 2 Gms
-----
INCOMING FNG's.....
WR Xzavier Henderson 6-3.5 180 ****
WR Jaquavion Fraziars 6-3.5 194 ****
TE Jonathan Odom 6-5 250 ***
-----
WR Leonard Manuel 6-4 212 ****
(has graduated HS, but pending UF acceptance to enroll)
-----
Transfer In's: Need NCAA Waivers to play in 2020.
#1 WR Justin Shorter 6-4 226 Jr ***** - PSU 2018
WR Jordan Pouncey 6-2 205 Sr *** - TX 2017

Trask, Jones, and Richardson are going to have some fun this season... ;)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT