ADVERTISEMENT

The administration of the “Sissy” rule needs to be investigated...

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
...first of all, mad props to Clemson for coming back and winning that game...it was a very entertaining second half...

that being said...when did incidental helmet to helmet contact during a quarterback sack become “targeting?” That cal on Wade was as shameful a call as sadgator has ever seen in modern American sports.

It has gone WAY too far and sadgator fears for the youth of this country....

Reactions: g2gator
It’s kind of a ridiculous rule, but that guy did break it. If you lead with the helmet like that you’re going to get called every time. The no-fumble overturn, I thought was absurd.

...first of all, mad props to Clemson for coming back and winning that game...it was a very entertaining second half...

that being said...when did incidental helmet to helmet contact during a quarterback sack become “targeting?” That cal on Wade was as shameful a call as sadgator has ever seen in modern American sports.

It has gone WAY too far and sadgator fears for the youth of this country....

I have seen a lot of calls for that which were less than that but it's hard to avoid in a bang bang play.

He led with his helmet. That was the right call. Now the no fumble call was bad. Should have been a scoop six.

Didn't see this particular play but the targeting rule is and has been complete BS since it's inception. You wanna throw a flag for a personal foul (much like an inadvertent face mask?), okay, it's a mistake, nobody intentionally does it. The ejection and suspension is stupid and 90% of the time completely subjective. Football is not played at slow motion speed.

I have seen a lot of calls for that which were less than that but it's hard to avoid in a bang bang play.

this is why you cannot dip the helmet. Can’t do it. If you do and contact the other guys helmet, it’s 15 yards and you’re ejected. You cannot tackle crown of the helmet first. We can debate the rule but everybody knows what it is.

Reactions: fsu939913
this is why you cannot dip the helmet. Can’t do it. If you do and contact the other guys helmet, it’s 15 yards and you’re ejected. You cannot tackle crown of the helmet first. We can debate the rule but everybody knows what it is.
You're correct...I hate the rule though.

I am a very vocal fan AGAINST the entire targeting rule thing, but Wade lowered his head and went into full on ram mode with the top of his helmet. That was about as cut and dry a targeting call as I've seen.

The ones I get pissed off at are where the defender does go low, doesn't lead with his head, but at the last moment the ball carrier lowers himself and it ends up being helmet to helmet. There was a game on the previous night, I forget who, but the defender was down low and was basically immobile, he had his damn KNEE on the ground already, he wasn't going to change his trajectory in any way. The QB running right into him though lowers his head at the last moment in anticipation of hitting the defender and their helmets hit each other. That was blatantly 100% on the ball carrier, but the defender still got tossed out of the game. What exactly do they want from defensive players when they are on their knees already and unable to move or change their position at that point?

I do agree the whole targeting thing needs to be rewritten yet again, because I have always felt from the start that the ball carriers play just as much responsibility in these helmet to helmet hits as defenders do, at least when they are not in the "defenseless player" mode as the majority of them are not.

I am a very vocal fan AGAINST the entire targeting rule thing, but Wade lowered his head and went into full on ram mode with the top of his helmet. That was about as cut and dry a targeting call as I've seen.

The ones I get pissed off at are where the defender does go low, doesn't lead with his head, but at the last moment the ball carrier lowers himself and it ends up being helmet to helmet. There was a game on the previous night, I forget who, but the defender was down low and was basically immobile, he had his damn KNEE on the ground already, he wasn't going to change his trajectory in any way. The QB running right into him though lowers his head at the last moment in anticipation of hitting the defender and their helmets hit each other. That was blatantly 100% on the ball carrier, but the defender still got tossed out of the game. What exactly do they want from defensive players when they are on their knees already and unable to move or change their position at that point?

I do agree the whole targeting thing needs to be rewritten yet again, because I have always felt from the start that the ball carriers play just as much responsibility in these helmet to helmet hits as defenders do, at least when they are not in the "defenseless player" mode as the majority of them are not.
This

The ones I get pissed off at are where the defender does go low, doesn't lead with his head, but at the last moment the ball carrier lowers himself and it ends up being helmet to helmet.

This

The ones I get pissed off at are where the defender does go low, doesn't lead with his head, but at the last moment the ball carrier lowers himself and it ends up being helmet to helmet.
Well this is my major problem with the rule as it stands now. It is 100% ALWAYS the defender's fault, regardless of what happens on the actual play. Only the defender is to be punished. They outright must start looking into the actions taken by the ball carrier as well because the defense can only do so much. Sooner or later the only valid way to tackle anyone will be to go for their shoes to try and untie their shoelaces.

I disagree. I think it was pretty blatant and very easy to not do for wade. The goal of football should not be to hurt everyone, injuries happen but leadi g with the crown of the helmet and hitting the crown of the helmet is easy to avoid.

Didn't see this particular play but the targeting rule is and has been complete BS since it's inception. You wanna throw a flag for a personal foul (much like an inadvertent face mask?), okay, it's a mistake, nobody intentionally does it. The ejection and suspension is stupid and 90% of the time completely subjective. Football is not played at slow motion speed.

People intentionally do it all the time. When the violent helmet to helmet hits in an nfl season go from over 1000 to below 50 per yr after the rule has been in place.... It is 100% avoidable on most plays.

It’s kind of a ridiculous rule, but that guy did break it. If you lead with the helmet like that you’re going to get called every time. The no-fumble overturn, I thought was absurd.

On the fumble... I would have been ok with 2 outcomes, play stands (i thought was most likely), or overturning the call. In full speed, it did not look like a catch, in slow mo it did. That one was close. Only "wrong" call on that would have been to confirm it.

People intentionally do it all the time. When the violent helmet to helmet hits in an nfl season go from over 1000 to below 50 per yr after the rule has been in place.... It is 100% avoidable on most plays.
LOL! NFL Ejections for 2019
There's been only 7 players ejected the entire season for helmet to helmet contact. My point is that in the NCAA, players are assumed guilty until proven innocent by instant replay. That's bullshit. The NFL shows a hell of a lot more discretion in calling targeting. The NCAA throws targeting fouls like Santa throws candy out during Christmas parades.

1. PRE 1 DAL-SF Adrian Colbert S SF Use of the helmet 3:42/3Q Cheffers†
2. CIN-KC D’Montre Wade DB KC Helmet-to-helmet contact (video) 11:37/3Q Wrolstad
3. PRE 2 SEA-MIN Holton Hill CB MIN Helmet-to-helmet contact on sliding QB 3:53/4Q Boger†
4. DAL-LAR Troy Reeder LB LAR Hit to helmet of sliding QB (video) 3:25/3Q Hussey
5. 1 KC-JAX Myles Jack LB JAX Punching 8:57/2Q Cheffers
6. TEN-CLE Greg Robinson LT CLE Kicking 5:03/2Q Allen†
7. SF-TB Kwon Alexander LB SF Helmet-to-helmet contact on sliding QB 1:02/1Q Kemp
8. 3 MIA-DAL Xavien Howard CB MIA Unnecessary roughness 4:00/4Q Hill
9. CIN-BUF Bobby Hart T CIN Contact with an official 0:20/4Q Blakeman
10. 4 OAK-IND Vontaze Burfict*12 LB OAK Use of the helmet 11:42/2Q Novak†
11. 5 NO-TB Carlton Davis CB TB Hit on a defenseless receiver 5:05/2Q Allen
12. 7 MIA-BUF Christian Wilkins DL MIA Throwing a punch 14:29/1Q Cheffers
13 LAR-ATL Davonte Freeman RB ATL Throwing a punch 9:43/3Q Torbert†
14. 11 PIT-CLE Damarious Randall FS CLE Hit on a defenseless receiver 8:11/3Q Blakeman
15. Myles Garrett*6 DE CLE Using the helmet as a weapon 0:14/4Q Blakeman
16. Maurkice Pouncey*2 OT PIT Fighting 0:14/4Q Blakeman
17. Larry Ogunjobi* DT CLE Fighting 0:14/4Q Blakeman
18. 13 WAS-CAR Ryan Anderson LB WAS Use of the helmet 4:25/3Q Novak†
19. 14 CAR-IND Vernon Butler DT CAR Punching 13:26/3Q Anderson
20. 17 OAK-DEN Nevin Lawson CB OAK Fighting 0:01/4Q Smith

LOL! NFL Ejections for 2019
There's been only 7 players ejected the entire season for helmet to helmet contact. My point is that in the NCAA, players are assumed guilty until proven innocent by instant replay. That's bullshit. The NFL shows a hell of a lot more discretion in calling targeting. The NCAA throws targeting fouls like Santa throws candy out during Christmas parades.

1. PRE 1 DAL-SF Adrian Colbert S SF Use of the helmet 3:42/3Q Cheffers†
2. CIN-KC D’Montre Wade DB KC Helmet-to-helmet contact (video) 11:37/3Q Wrolstad
3. PRE 2 SEA-MIN Holton Hill CB MIN Helmet-to-helmet contact on sliding QB 3:53/4Q Boger†
4. DAL-LAR Troy Reeder LB LAR Hit to helmet of sliding QB (video) 3:25/3Q Hussey
5. 1 KC-JAX Myles Jack LB JAX Punching 8:57/2Q Cheffers
6. TEN-CLE Greg Robinson LT CLE Kicking 5:03/2Q Allen†
7. SF-TB Kwon Alexander LB SF Helmet-to-helmet contact on sliding QB 1:02/1Q Kemp
8. 3 MIA-DAL Xavien Howard CB MIA Unnecessary roughness 4:00/4Q Hill
9. CIN-BUF Bobby Hart T CIN Contact with an official 0:20/4Q Blakeman
10. 4 OAK-IND Vontaze Burfict*12 LB OAK Use of the helmet 11:42/2Q Novak†
11. 5 NO-TB Carlton Davis CB TB Hit on a defenseless receiver 5:05/2Q Allen
12. 7 MIA-BUF Christian Wilkins DL MIA Throwing a punch 14:29/1Q Cheffers
13 LAR-ATL Davonte Freeman RB ATL Throwing a punch 9:43/3Q Torbert†
14. 11 PIT-CLE Damarious Randall FS CLE Hit on a defenseless receiver 8:11/3Q Blakeman
15. Myles Garrett*6 DE CLE Using the helmet as a weapon 0:14/4Q Blakeman
16. Maurkice Pouncey*2 OT PIT Fighting 0:14/4Q Blakeman
17. Larry Ogunjobi* DT CLE Fighting 0:14/4Q Blakeman
18. 13 WAS-CAR Ryan Anderson LB WAS Use of the helmet 4:25/3Q Novak†
19. 14 CAR-IND Vernon Butler DT CAR Punching 13:26/3Q Anderson
20. 17 OAK-DEN Nevin Lawson CB OAK Fighting 0:01/4Q Smith
How many BILLIONS did the CTE and head injury lawsuit cost the league? College young men are being OVERLY punished for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT