ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee at Florida: Must Win Game for the Gators?

Good article Jason. I don't think it's a detrimental loss unless it's a blowout and gets ugly. If you lose by 10 or 14. No Shane in that. Uf needs some offense, need to get the run game going and Mertz needs to be a gane manager.

I agree keeping the crowd engaged could be huge, the Swamp is loud as hell

Reactions: HollywoodGator97
It’s a must win game for Billy Napier.

Idk, Norvell went 0 and 4 to start his 2nd yr with a loss at home to Jacksonville state.... worse things have happened. What you want to see is improvement on offense and effort

Idk, Norvell went 0 and 4 to start his 2nd yr with a loss at home to Jacksonville state.... worse things have happened. What you want to see is improvement on offense and effort

A lot of pressure in year 3 if you lose to your rivals and teams like KY again in year 2.

Reactions: fsu939913
This game is obviously a must-win for Napier and his regime. His thought process will be, "If I run the ball enough and control the clock, I can keep Joe Milton and the Vols offense off the field." If he allows Mertz to come out and sling some deep balls that connect to that stud WR we have, things will get really interesting. And as we all know, anything can happen in The Swamp.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
This game is obviously a must-win for Napier and his regime. His thought process will be, "If I run the ball enough and control the clock, I can keep Joe Milton and the Vols offense off the field." If he allows Mertz to come out and sling some deep balls that connect to that stud WR we have, things will get really interesting. And as we all know, anything can happen in The Swamp.

Maybe I will be surprised but with the attacking style TN runs on defense I highly doubt we can line up and pound them with the RBs most of the game. Even in the games they give up some rushing yards it's the other team being limited to 3 yards and under on most carries and breaking a couple of big runs. I don't think Georgia or Bama was even able to force a consistent running game on them last year and they shut our RBs down. Our rushing yards were mostly from Richardson who was a willing runner that game unlike much of the year. If TN is scoring I think our only chance is Napier calling some passing plays a little more down the field than he likes and sending more than just 2 WRs down the field. I doubt Mertz is capable of buying too much time scrambling and burning them that way like a lot of mobile QBs did last season.

Maybe I will be surprised but with the attacking style TN runs on defense I highly doubt we can line up and pound them with the RBs most of the game. Even in the games they give up some rushing yards it's the other team being limited to 3 yards and under on most carries and breaking a couple of big runs. I don't think Georgia or Bama was even able to force a consistent running game on them last year and they shut our RBs down. Our rushing yards were mostly from Richardson who was a willing runner that game unlike much of the year. If TN is scoring I think our only chance is Napier calling some passing plays a little more down the field than he likes and sending more than just 2 WRs down the field. I doubt Mertz is capable of buying too much time scrambling and burning them that way like a lot of mobile QBs did last season.
Saw Maryland beat UVA 49-14 tonight. So not sure what Tenn really has since they've basically played nobody.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Good article Jason. I don't think it's a detrimental loss unless it's a blowout and gets ugly. If you lose by 10 or 14. No Shane in that. Uf needs some offense, need to get the run game going and Mertz needs to be a gane manager.

I agree keeping the crowd engaged could be huge, the Swamp is loud as hell
Wow a moral victory for UF, I highly doubt the faithful would find that acceptable.

Go Canes!

Reactions: gatordad3

It's a must win, because otherwise all Gator fans will turn into little rubber gators on a string for tourist kids to play with. 😁

"And it always takes 2-3-4 seasons for any HC to build a program back up to winners." -- DS 😳

"I need to see this team play a few more games to understand what they are trying to accomplish on offense and defense." -- Or you could just review from 2022 to today (7-8).... 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT