ADVERTISEMENT

Spurs to be OC?

Definitely no insider but I think Spurrier knows better than to take over this train wreck of an offense. I put the odds at about 1%.

Reactions: g8rbass94
I want him to take ober as interim HBC. Mac is a walking excuse machine whose primary goal is to buy himself time. We will never be elite as long as he is here

The whole point of him taking over would be because the offense sucks.

If the offense was great, there would be no need for a different OC.

I want him to take ober as interim HBC. Mac is a walking excuse machine whose primary goal is to buy himself time. We will never be elite as long as he is here

Too bad we aren't lucky enough to have a Barry Alvarez Wisconsin situation just to give us all vintage nostalgia culture shock for one game as our HC...

serveimage

We don;'t need the OBC to become OC, just INTERIM OC. This year, maybe next year. Get some production out of the offense, just to show it can be done, win a few games, get Mac off the hot seat, then maybe we can convince a decent OC to come in here.

So basically what I want is pie in the sky nonsense that would never happen in the real world. LOL, One can dream...

We don;'t need the OBC to become OC, just INTERIM OC. This year, maybe next year. Get some production out of the offense, just to show it can be done, win a few games, get Mac off the hot seat, then maybe we can convince a decent OC to come in here.

So basically what I want is pie in the sky nonsense that would never happen in the real world. LOL, One can dream...
I'd love to see that Spatival kid from WVU run the O.

Ok ok ok, somebody has to be "that guy" so I'll sacrifice myself. When was his last above average offense that didn't include Marcus Lattimore?

Basically asking, is he up to par these days?
It's a fair point indeed...but tell sadgator you wouldn't get erect just seeing the Emory and Henry formation on Florida Field just one more time...

Reactions: TennesseeGator
It would likely not work just coming in mid-season to call plays especially when they cannot be successfully executed by an inept offensive line.

Spurrier would need the time to implement his own unique offense. I would think that most of a team's preparation is done in the off-season.

Now if SOS was involved with the offensive game planning as a consultant, that may or may not work. Who knows.

We need a new HBC as much as, if not more, than we need an OC. Nuss sucks but not his fault we were flat and completely unprepared for the Michigan game after 8 months. Mac's ho-hum attitude shows in his team on the field. We need to end this circus ASAP

Don't like ho hum?

will-muschamp-pissed-off-during-florida-state-game.gif

Someone once said that defensive-minded head coaches are often more emotional on the sidelines and react to what is going on the field.

On the other hand, offensive minded head coaches tend to be more calm and collected while devising ways to counter the situation.

I think the best ones have the demeanor of both traits.The worst ones can either fly off the handle or seem too passive as not being able to react to a situation. You need a balance of the two.

It would likely not work just coming in mid-season to call plays especially when they cannot be successfully executed by an inept offensive line.

Spurrier would need the time to implement his own unique offense. I would think that most of a team's preparation is done in the off-season.

Now if SOS was involved with the offensive game planning as a consultant, that may or may not work. Who knows.

We are currently last in offense. I'm not worried much about us getting worse.

Reactions: sadgator
There's nothing wrong with being amped like Muschamp, it just becomes a big deal to people when you aren't winning.. like any personality, people can't stand it if they aren't getting what they want out of you...

The way im thinking during a game is intense as you see when i react in fan mode on purpose during games to take it all in, but as a coach, you hold all that in and make sure the players don't see you screaming inside if something goes wrong...

No way Steve plays second fiddle to Hee Haw.
More likely that he takes over at some point next year as Interim HBC.

Ok ok ok, somebody has to be "that guy" so I'll sacrifice myself. [....] Basically asking, is [Spurrier] up to par these days?

Even making the optimistic assumption that Spurrier is still up to speed on the collegiate game, there's not a snowball's chance under a Florida-August sun that the current Gator players are trained in Spurrier's system of offense. So even if Spurrier were to translate his terminology to Nussmeier's [*], I suspect that there's no better chance that the Gator players could absorb it in mid-season. Which former Gator star was it who was quoted saying that his NFL team's play-book was simpler & shorter than his Gator play-book from Spurrier?

-------
Note *: An indignity maybe comparable to plastering over all the mosaics of Constantinople's Christian landmark Hagia Sophia, to convert it to a mosque, as it's remained since the city's conquest and renaming (as Istanbul) by Muslim Turks (1453).

Last edited:
Well documented that Steve hated the recruiting requirements of being the head coach.
He would probably rather be charged with cleaning up the bath rooms at the Swamp after the home games.
But he was pretty darn good at it.

Not even going to mention all of the UF talent.

Dude got players named Alshon Jefferies, J. Clowney, and Marcus Lattimore to South Carolina. That school has never experienced that much talent at once.

Spurs to be OC?
Thats the rumor. Where are the insiders to validate?

As a rumor, it might be traceable to the biggest headline on the Sports-front page of the Sep. 7 Orlando Sentinel: "McElwain needs Spurrier", by Mike Bianchi. That was the Thursday before Irma, so maybe someone who was too busy running around in search of plywood never actually read it (altho' you'd think whoever it was would've had plenty of time for reading in check-out lines).

Marked as "COMMENTARY", it opened [*]:

Mike Bianchi (Sep. 7 said:
A word of advice for [...] Jim McElwain: Take away offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier's headset and graciously give it to Steve Spurrier. The Head Ball Coach, after all, was hired by UF last year to serve as a consultant to the athletic department. Well, then, McElwain should start consulting with him and listening to what one of the greatest offensive minds in college football history has to say about calling plays, getting receivers open, and developing quarterbacks. These basic essentials have been sorely lacking from UF's offense for years, and McElwain and Nussmeier have done nothing to fix them. [....] If ever there was a time for the HBC--the Head Ball Consultant--to do what he was hired to do last year, then that time is now.
So it didn't report that Spurrier would be calling plays so that a de facto benched Nussmeier might learn play-calling skills from the Evil Genius in actual games, but that such a change should be arranged.

-------
Note *: Bianchi (Sep. 6, 2017): "McElwain can fix Gators offense by letting Spurrier coach-up Nussmeier". http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...p-gators-offense-mike-bianchi-0907-story.html>

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
Even making the optimistic assumption that Spurrier is still up to speed on the collegiate game, there's not a snowball's chance under a Florida-August sun that the current Gator players are trained in Spurrier's system of offense. So even if Spurrier were to translate his terminology to Nussmeier's [*], I suspect that there's no better chance that the Gator players could absorb it in mid-season. Which former Gator star was it who was quoted saying that his NFL team's play-book was simpler & shorter than his Gator play-book from Spurrier?

-------
Note *: An indignity maybe comparable to plastering over all the mosaics of Constantinople's Christian landmark Hagia Sophia, to convert it to a mosque, as it's remained since the city's conquest and renaming (as Istanbul) by Muslim Turks (1453).
You are a genius sir...plain and simple...nobody does it as well.

Don't like ho hum?

will-muschamp-pissed-off-during-florida-state-game.gif

I still remember that BS play. We were about to put a dagger into Famous Jameis heart and Westbrook effs that up resulting in a 95 yard pick 6. We might have upset them and knocked them out of the playoffs without that bonehead play. Seems like he dropped an easy TD that year (LSU?) that cost us another game.

I still remember that BS play. We were about to put a dagger into Famous Jameis heart and Westbrook effs that up resulting in a 95 yard pick 6. We might have upset them and knocked them out of the playoffs without that bonehead play. Seems like he dropped an easy TD that year (LSU?) that cost us another game.

Yep we would have beaten LSU with that catch.

I almost forgot about what happened in that game because of drunk depression of seasons tied together..

When we completed the only deep ball in driskels career and Robinson ran out of bounds with all that space I already knew what was coming without even remembering it to know I was feeling that coming... and so were all of you and the rest of our fans, that's two games Westbrook dropped that season on his own.. Which would have given muschamp at least a 9 win season, and maybe ten without the Final straw that broke him against SC with the two or three blocked kicks and a .01 chance to lose with the ball after the turnover we stopped SC befoe that, then the blocked punt and loss in OT...

but we also could and probably should have lost to Kentucky and the streak that year in OT where the defense gave up the most easy chunk Big 12 plays ever all night for TD's then the first one in OT... And the mizzou game, some of those are what finished him. What were we 8-5 that year with the Birmingham Bowl and Mac walking around getting to say neat and cool for the first time tailgating meeting with our fans?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT