ADVERTISEMENT

Football Some thoughts after taking time off

Jag31

May 29, 2018
I needed a break from this program and took one literally until attending the game yesterday. This is my 40th straight year of having season tickets and if not for wanting my kids to have the same memories I did growing up, last year would have been my last. Watching this team play makes me feel and act in a way I just simply don’t want to any more.

That being said, I have a few rambling thoughts.

I have had this irrational thought the last couple years that teams “know our signs”. Miami and defenses in the past seem to know our play calls. It’s as if they are in the huddle. Run plays on passing downs and passing plays on running downs are all perfectly defended. Even one of Mertz better completions yesterday was to a WR that had 3 defenders on him that just happened to get open.

There’s two options here. Teams really do know our signs. Or Billy is running an offense and scheme that is better fit for 5a HS football. I’ll let you decide

I don’t understand what we are doing from a lineup and talent evaluating side. This is no disrespect but how have we not found a better deep threat to start at WR than Jackson? What are we doing in the offseason? Same goes for the DL. We have 3rd tier portal guys that no other legit programs wanted enough to sign.

Either Billy and everyone are just really bad talent evaluators or just flat out liars. There’s no way you could have watched this team we fielded yesterday all spring and summer and thought we were ready to compete with average SEC teams. I’m not sure which is worse.

Let’s go back in time. Imagine Billy Gonzalez taking a HC job like Georgia Southern and having huge success. Would you have been nervous about him taking the UGA job? That’s about how our rivals have thought this entire time about this hire. No one feared it.

I have been very pessimistic about our football program as a whole and whether these last several years are just who we are going to be. The only thing keeping me from completely losing hope (ironically) is the admins inability to hire a big time coach and continue with the unproven guys. None of their hires have gone on to do anything worth noting as a HC. The ultimate test imo would be Lane Kiffin. He has Ole Miss as a legit playoff contender. If he came to UF and we continued to be a .500 team then it just is what it is. At this point, it’s the only hire that makes sense. No one else who is doing what he is doing is going to come. Everyone has money but only one coach has the ego to take over this dumpster fire and turn it around. Hes also likely the only one who could keep the players we want around.

We have reached a very very bad time with the fanbase and boosters that make change inevitable. It’s turning from anger to no longer caring. I’m very anxious to see the attendance from here out. There’s still slight hope from the Orange and Blue glass that I still own that it’s only game 1 but I didn’t see a single thing yesterday to make me think anything will change.

If we are being honest with ourselves we aren’t much of a powerhouse without a hall of fame coach and a Heisman type QB at the same time. We have the potential to have one of those things now. We better move fast to add the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.