ADVERTISEMENT

Some Mark Thompson Love...

Let the guy play a few plays for UF before labeling him not so good. I honestly hope he and the two you mention are Heisman finalist. Yes I'm a realist but hope never hurt anything.

I will leave labeling him for a while. But peoplelike to act like he is Derrick Henry. I just think the others will end up being the ones.

I will leave labeling him for a while. But peoplelike to act like he is Derrick Henry. I just think the others will end up being the ones.
I haven't seen the DH labeling with maybe a small amount of homers and sunshine pumpers.

I think he will be a D. Wynn type RB. Nothing spectacular but a pretty tough yard back who has SOME homerun potential in the open field.

My money is on Cronkrite eventually being the workhorse either this year or the next.

It wasn't 'some people' that started the Mark Thompson 6-2 242 Jr. comparisons to D.Henry 6-3 242 Jr, it was the Gator's best returning LB (Davis) that made that comparison, and he's played against one and practiced against the other.

“That guy, I feel like he’s going to be special,” Davis said of Thompson after practice Wednesday. “I’m really excited to see what he’s going to do. I’m ready to put the pads on so I can see what it’s going to be like me vs. him.” When asked if he’s seen any RB's with Thompson’s size, Davis could only think of former bama RB Derrick Henry 6-3 242 Jr.

In 2015, Thompson ran for 1,298 yds, 18 TD on 268 carries, 4.84 ypc. That's what got him rated the #1 JuCo RB. But everybody here knows that the SEC is not JuCo,,, but it's also not nothing.

Personally, I see Mc-Nuss using them all this season (committee) and my own 'dark-horse' candidate at RB is the newest guy, Lamical Perine 5-11 222 4.5/40 with great hands and a good blocker. Those 5 RB's are never going to be tired out, no matter how many times the coaches choose to run the ball in a game.

Heck, I might even throw in a few wishbone plays with that many top quality RB's, just to screw with the opposing DC's mind, (can you imagine)? :eek:

Anyway, can't we all just be happy with the fact that they 'FOR SURE' will have at least 1-2 quality RB's for every game? :)

http://gatorbytes.blog.palmbeachpos...ted-to-practice-against-big-rb-mark-thompson/

All that quote does is reaffirm that there's a size comparison.

If that's all that mattered, people would just use linebackers as running backs.

Who won the 2015 Heisman again, (6-3 242) I forgot... :confused:
And everyone knows that size doesn't matter, right? ;)

Heck, I'd put you out there without a helmet on, cause with that head of your's (granite), you'd be killer on the LB's going up the middle... :D

Mc-Nuss and Skipper were totally clueless when they decided to bring him in, so yet another major mistake on their part.... :rolleyes:
==================

37. RB Mark Herndon 5-9 209 rsSr *** - Former WO, now ship team leader.
24. RB Mark Thompson 6-2 237 rsJr ***** - #1 JuCo RB - Power-X, Hands
32. RB/slot Jordan Cronkrite 5-11 204 So **** - Power, Hands
25. RB Jordan Scarlett 5-10 213 So **** - Speed, Moves
22. RB Lamical Perine 5-11 221 Fr **** - Ala 7A APBoY Award
(Power, Speed, Hands, Block)
----
36. RB/WR-slot Case Harrison 6-0 188 rsJr - WO
33. RB Tyriek Hopkins 5-8 177 So - WO

Last edited:
:fistbump: -- :boom: --[banana]
54737020.jpg

Mrs. sadgator frequently tells sadgator this; however, the fact that our refrigerator vegetable tray is frequently stocked with above-average sized cucumbers does create substantial doubt and concern in sadgator's mind.

LOL

Mrs. sadgator frequently tells sadgator this; however, the fact that our refrigerator vegetable tray is frequently stocked with above-average sized cucumbers does create substantial doubt and concern in sadgator's mind.
Reminds me of a classic;

Reactions: sadgator
TOS guys are obsessed with Thompson, but they also would be fine if we had no WR on the field and ran wishbone. They have a 70s mentality.

I still think if Scarlett can ever out it all together he is a monster

The comments from coaches and players all preseason have made it clear that the Florida Gators are headed for a true committee approach at running back this fall. :p

"the running backs need to embrace the benefits of such an arrangement"
(as do some of the 'know-it-all' fans) - (and a couple of wishbone plays is not running the entire wishbone offense, but then you prolly knew that when you spouted off like a typical jerk) o_O

"sometimes they get all these people (jerks) in their ear, ‘You should be toting it 35 times,’ and yet we all know the position’s (about) staying fresh and you only have so many hits in you. So your ability to spread it around is something that’s only going to help you in the long run." -- McElwain

UF has had committee RB groups 3 times in the past, and every one of them went on to get their shot at playing in the NFL. :cool:

All that quote does is reaffirm that there's a size comparison.

If that's all that mattered, people would just use linebackers as running backs.

Bama does do that with great OL's then their RB's are used goods and busts in the league. There's already a documentary on Trent Richardsons bust status

I'm all in on the committee RB approach and always have been. IMO, it's the best way all around, especially with 5 top quality RB's on the roster. Any of them could start most anywhere else imo. I said early on that tFr Perine was my dark horse at RB, and so he still is.
(but that's not a diss on any of the others)
A freshman from Alabama, Perine has impressed coaches in the backfield competition. "This guy's pretty good." -- McElwain

I expect all of them to make plays in 2016. I don't want just one of them to be the 35 carry starter. I'd like to see the 5 of them rush for over 2,000+ yards on the season. If it's one guy this week and a different one next week, then that's great. And I'd like to see 4 of them back for next season, with mighty-mite Herndon graduated and gone, but with Lemons coming in to replace him on the committee. So we'll see.... :cool:

Last edited:
If Thompson can hold onto the ball he may end up getting the most touches. The jury is still out and we had that young O line but I didn't see anything out of the other two that screamed big time SEC game changer in the future.

I hope I am wrong and one does really breakout top be a top SEC back. Some people think we will have our best backfield in years and hopefully they are right.

Last edited:
2015 Rushing Yards with a primary RB -- (2 QB's + 2 other RB's).

Kelvin Taylor 1035 yds, 4.0 ypc

Treon Harris 238 yds, 2.5 ypc

Jordan Scarlett 181 yds, 5.3 ypc

Jordan Cronkrite 157 yds, 3.6 ypc

Will Grier 116 yds, 3.2 ypc

Total Yards using a primary RB was 1,727 yards.
(2 QB's 354 yds -- 2 other RB's 338 yds)
--------------
Brandon Powell 31 yds, 2.2 ypc
Case Harrison 17 yds, 3.5 ypc
Mark Herndon 12 yds, 3.0 ypc
Only 60 bit player yards by the last 3.

Total Yards by that non-committee of 8 was: 1,787 yards.
(take out Kelvin's primary runner 1,000+ yards and the other 7 runners only combined for 752 yds)

=============
=============

2008 Rushing Yards by Committee (1 QB + 5 RB's)

Tim Tebow 673 yds, 3.8 ypc

Percy Harvin 660 yds, 9.4 ypc

Chris Rainey 652 yds, 7.8 ypc

Jeff Demps 605 yds, 7.8 ypc

Kestahn Moore 142 yds, 4.9 ypc

Brandon James 59 yds, 4.2 ypc

Total Yards by that committee of 6 was: 2,791 yards.
(take out TT's yards - and the 5 RB's still broke 2,000 yards)
=============

2009 Rushing Yards by Committee (1 QB + 5 RB's).

Tim Tebow 910 yds, 4.2 ypc

Jeff Demps 745 yds, 7.5 ypc

Chris Rainey 575 yds, 6.5 ypc

Emmanuel Moody 378 yds, 6.5 ypc

Mike Gillislee 267 yds, 8.6 ypc

Brandon James 109 yds, 5.4 ypc

Total Yards by that committee of 6 was: 2,984 yards.
================

Would any Gator fan rather have a single 1,600 yard RB instead?

Well Fred Taylor had almost 1,300 yards with a 6 yard average in 1997 which was nice. That stuff under Meyer only works that great when you have the running QB that can run it properly. The smurf RBs came down to earth once that wasn't the case especially against the good SEC defenses.

2015 Rushing Yards with a primary RB -- (2 QB's + 2 other RB's).

Kelvin Taylor 1035 yds, 4.0 ypc

Treon Harris 238 yds, 2.5 ypc

Jordan Scarlett 181 yds, 5.3 ypc

Jordan Cronkrite 157 yds, 3.6 ypc

Will Grier 116 yds, 3.2 ypc

Total Yards using a primary RB was 1,727 yards.
(2 QB's 354 yds -- 2 other RB's 338 yds)
--------------
Brandon Powell 31 yds, 2.2 ypc
Case Harrison 17 yds, 3.5 ypc
Mark Herndon 12 yds, 3.0 ypc
Only 60 bit player yards by the last 3.

Total Yards by that non-committee of 8 was: 1,787 yards.
(take out Kelvin's primary runner 1,000+ yards and the other 7 runners only combined for 752 yds)

=============
=============

2008 Rushing Yards by Committee (1 QB + 5 RB's)

Tim Tebow 673 yds, 3.8 ypc

Percy Harvin 660 yds, 9.4 ypc

Chris Rainey 652 yds, 7.8 ypc

Jeff Demps 605 yds, 7.8 ypc

Kestahn Moore 142 yds, 4.9 ypc

Brandon James 59 yds, 4.2 ypc

Total Yards by that committee of 6 was: 2,791 yards.
=============

2009 Rushing Yards by Committee (1 QB + 5 RB's).

Tim Tebow 910 yds, 4.2 ypc

Jeff Demps 745 yds, 7.5 ypc

Chris Rainey 575 yds, 6.5 ypc

Emmanuel Moody 378 yds, 6.5 ypc

Mike Gillislee 267 yds, 8.6 ypc

Brandon James 109 yds, 5.4 ypc

Total Yards by that committee of 6 was: 2,984 yards.
================

Would any Gator fan rather have a single 1,600 yard RB instead?

Not saying committee is wrong. I do worry about no one guy getting in the flow enough.

The problem with using Meyer as an example is guys get carries from so many positions in that offense. Not as easy to get the carries that spread out from a more traditional set up

If Thompson can hold onto the ball he may end up getting the most touches. The jury is still out and we had that young O line but I didn't see anything out of the other two that screamed big time SEC game changer in the future.

I hope I am wrong and one does really breakout top be a top SEC back. Some people think we will have our best backfield in years and hopefully they are right.

it will be our best from the backfield in years, we have many weapons and big bodies and they are all different types of runners. It depends on the OL but if they get better we will see some really good balance.

I believe that Earnest Graham and the rest of his committee went for close to 2,000 yds.

Even further back, JL Williams, N Anderson, and L Hampton got close to 2,000 yds I think.

I agree that 'balance' is needed, no matter which way they do it.
Both ways can work just fine, if supported by the OL and the passing game.
We'll see how this system and players all flow together soon enough. ;)

I believe that Earnest Graham and the rest of his committee went for close to 2,000 yds.

Even further back, JL Williams, N Anderson, and L Hampton got close to 2,000 yds I think.

I agree that 'balance' is needed, no matter which way they do it.
Both ways can work just fine, if supported by the OL and the passing game.
We'll see how this system and players all flow together soon enough. ;)

Really surprised at how low his average per carry is for running in JUCO which concerns me

forget a derrick henry, I hope he moves better than him laterally and can do something more than just plod straight ahead. If Thompson gets anywhere near the type of blocking as Henry people would think he was as good if not better from what i've seen. Thompson is a monster in more ways than just size. Im glad hes on our side ill tell you that right now, I wouldn't want our defense having to tackle his ass in a game. Those 3rd and shorts we have been getting blown up on for years should be a thing of the past now with these backs we have and some talented linemen with a ton of experience in the fire as true freshmen, they should be automatic. Thank GOD

I'm cool with either a feature back or committee approach. If we had Fournette or Cook I'd want them getting the ball 25 times a game. Absent that though I think the committee approach is good when you don't have that one dominating back. Don't think it matters either way, tell me how the o-line looks first.

Reactions: GatorNation79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT