ADVERTISEMENT

Some idiot from France is reviving 48,000 year old viruses

EvilWayz

Bull Gator
Nov 18, 2006
Jacksonkill, florida
In 2014, he (Jean-Michel Claverie, an Emeritus professor of medicine and genomics at the Aix-Marseille University School of Medicine in Marseille, France) managed to revive a virus he and his team isolated from the permafrost, making it infectious for the first time in 30,000 years by inserting it into cultured cells. For safety, he’d chosen to study a virus that could only target single-celled amoebas, not animals or humans.

He repeated the feat in 2015, isolating a different virus type that also targeted amoebas. And in his latest research, published February 18 in the journal Viruses, Claverie and his team isolated several strains of ancient virus from multiple samples of permafrost taken from seven different places across Siberia and showed they could each infect cultured amoeba cells.

What the actual fcuk.

In 2014, he (Jean-Michel Claverie, an Emeritus professor of medicine and genomics at the Aix-Marseille University School of Medicine in Marseille, France) managed to revive a virus he and his team isolated from the permafrost, making it infectious for the first time in 30,000 years by inserting it into cultured cells. For safety, he’d chosen to study a virus that could only target single-celled amoebas, not animals or humans.

He repeated the feat in 2015, isolating a different virus type that also targeted amoebas. And in his latest research, published February 18 in the journal Viruses, Claverie and his team isolated several strains of ancient virus from multiple samples of permafrost taken from seven different places across Siberia and showed they could each infect cultured amoeba cells.

What the actual fcuk.

Interesting thread. I didn't see it earlier because of all of the shitposting today, but ignore fixed that! 😂 When I was a kid I was interested in science. My first experiment was burning off insect legs with a magnifying glass and then feeding it to a stirred up anthill. I moved on to freezing bugs in jars and removing them several days later to thaw out. It's amazing how many of them survived! :oops:

Interesting thread. I didn't see it earlier because of all of the shitposting today, but ignore fixed that! 😂 When I was a kid I was interested in science. My first experiment was burning off insect legs with a magnifying glass and then feeding it to a stirred up anthill. I moved on to freezing bugs in jars and removing them several days later to thaw out. It's amazing how many of them survived! :oops:
In retrospect, I was a "Young Dr Fauchi". 😂

Doesn't sound too smart to be doing that.
MV5BMDI2ZGEyYWItNWIzNC00YWJlLWFhOWYtZjMyMGU2MmFhOTBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRyYW5zY29kZS13b3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT