ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Tim Scott Wants To Sell Unity To The Party Of White Grievance. Good Luck With That.

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
Didn't the GOP already try this with Herschel Walker? 🤣

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-tim-scott-wants-sell-094504432.html
Sen. Tim Scott Wants To Sell Unity To The Party Of White Grievance. Good Luck With That.
Michael Arceneaux
Tue, April 18, 2023 at 5:45 AM EDT·5 min read

7jaey4.jpg

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) has not made up his mind on whether or not he will run for president, but he has recently launched a presidential exploratory committee, and based on his first week as a prospective candidate, already developed a losing strategy for a would-be bid.

Scott, the lone Black Republican member of the Senate, will reportedly tout the GOP as “the great opportunity party.”

“I will never back down in defense of the conservative values that make America exceptional,” Scott said in a tweet accompanying his announcement video, adding, “This fight is personal.”
He also stressed to voters: “The story of America is not defined by our original sin. The story of America is defined by our redemption.. The video was filmed at Fort Sumter near Charleston, South Carolina, where the state militia in 1861 attacked federal troops and started the Civil War.

“America’s soul was put to the test,” Scott said. “And we prevailed.”
Who is the “we” here?

It’s certainly not the white conservatives who gleefully wave that red flag of oppression. Nor is it the party itself, which actively stokes racial animus to win over voters, only to later use the power procured to enact policies that serve as bludgeons to the Black community.

I’m sure such viewpoints make me sound like a “radical leftist” to the likes of Scott, who once stressed in a 2021 speech, “America is not a racist country.”

On the other hand, he boasted of his ability “to disrupt the narrative of race” in his announcement video, but what does that mean exactly?

In February, while speaking at the Charleston County GOP Black History Month Banquet, Scott noted: “I’m not here to suggest that things could not get better, and I’m going to work every single day to make sure that all Americans play on a level playing field. That hasn’t always been the case. But today is not 1865. Today is not 1923. We have made tremendous progress, and it’s time that we as a people celebrate the progress we are making.”

So, Scott’s talent is that he can acknowledge the obvious ― racism is real ― but deny the active role his political party of choice plays in perpetuating systemic voters and win statewide office in a state like South Carolina.

Uh, good for him, I guess, but how is such a strategy going to win over GOP primary voters for a presidential campaign?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT