ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Bruce

About as much as Rich Rod dido_O
Well I wanted Bill Belichek but I know what is and isn't realistic. Harbaugh wasn't realistic. It was either NFL or Michigan.

But back to the point. The recruiting followers need to embrace the players we do sign and hope the coaches them up. A waste to not worry about who we didn't sign. So far we have done a good job of keeping multiple players from transferring but most importantly we havr kept the criminal activity to a minimum. Sure the two WR went thug on a window with a bb gun but that's child's play compared to what happens across the NCAA.

Well I wanted Bill Belichek but I know what is and isn't realistic. Harbaugh wasn't realistic. It was either NFL or Michigan.

But back to the point. The recruiting followers need to embrace the players we do sign and hope the coaches them up. A waste to not worry about who we didn't sign. So far we have done a good job of keeping multiple players from transferring but most importantly we havr kept the criminal activity to a minimum. Sure the two WR went thug on a window with a bb gun but that's child's play compared to what happens across the NCAA.

That is fine, and I haven't seen a lot of people show any dislike towards the kids we sign. But to think you are going to compete for NCs with average recruiting is just plain silly. And I haven't seen a lot of 'coaching' them up at UF since Dan Quinn left for the Seahwaks. Lets be honest, our score basically lives and dies with Calloway. And our defenses perform on raw talent alone most of the time. So I you want to be in the MJ school of competing for a title every decade or so and bragiing about 'good kids' we are doing OK. But we are a ling ways from the Bamas and Ohio States of the world in both coaching and talent.

That is fine, and I haven't seen a lot of people show any dislike towards the kids we sign. But to think you are going to compete for NCs with average recruiting is just plain silly. And I haven't seen a lot of 'coaching' them up at UF since Dan Quinn left for the Seahwaks. Lets be honest, our score basically lives and dies with Calloway. And our defenses perform on raw talent alone most of the time. So I you want to be in the MJ school of competing for a title every decade or so and bragiing about 'good kids' we are doing OK. But we are a ling ways from the Bamas and Ohio States of the world in both coaching and talent.
You have Saban on top of the food chain with Meyer tugging on his leg. After that you have Harbaugh, Chris Peterson, and maybe Jimbo Fisher 40 yards back...hell throw Bob Stoops name in it...another 100 yards from them are a bunch of coaches who have yet to prove long term worth. Butch Jones, Hugh Freeze, Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, Bobby Petrino, and others.

Right now we aren't getting the home run hire. It just isn't there. Herman is probably the closest thing to a home run but he may be a pretty ground rule double.

So right now you build your program up with integrity, character, amd quality.

Sure some coaches have won a title in a two years or so...but now those guys have been fired (not counting Meyer and Saban) so then you are right back to square one.

Last edited:
You have Saban on top of the food chain with Meyer tugging on his leg. After that you have Harbaugh, Chris Peterson, and maybe Jimbo Fisher 40 yards back...hell throw Bob Stoops name in it...another 100 yards from them are a bunch of coaches who have yet to prove long term worth. Butch Jones, Hugh Freeze, Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, Bobby Petrino, and others.

Right now we aren't getting the home run hire. It just isn't there. Herman is probably the closest thing to a home run but he may be a pretty ground rule double.

So right now you build your program up with integrity, character, amd quality.

Sure some coaches have won a title in a two years or so...but now those guys have been fired (not counting Meyer and Saban) so then you are right back to square one.

Its not just about a home run hire. We have now twice tried to duplicate the Saban model from his LSU and early Bama years. 6 consecutive years of trying to "grind it out" and play safe. Hell, Saban dumped that a couple years ago when he sent Nuss packing. Now he uses a dual threat QB, airs it out and occasionally uses tempo. And here are the Gators playing 1970s football. We have no 'excitement' surrounding our program. We need something to flip the momentum. And I don't think Jimbo is more than an average coach, BUT he has managed to make FSU an appealing place for kids to land. The elite players in the state aren't even real high on UF. Its about philosophy and excitement that coaches great, we keep hiring guys that are more like cavemen than anything else. We need innovation, something that is exciting and showcases the speed advantage the Florida recruits offer. Right now we are stuck in a rut that appeals to the old timers hoping to relive their glory years. Ridicule me for it, but if things don't change soon, I think the minute Foley walks out that door Mac begins coaching for his job week in and week out.

Reactions: seffnergator
lol. Ummmm.....what title did we compete for?? We went to Atlanta if you count that. But I think our final three games proved we were light years from any kind of title
With Harris at QB, to be sure. But with a competent QB, we probably beat FSU. And would have been more competitive against Alabama.

Not sure why you Negative Nellies continue to discount that.

With Harris at QB, to be sure. But with a competent QB, we probably beat FSU. And would have been more competitive against Alabama.

Not sure why you Negative Nellies continue to discount that.

Because we are on about a 7 year run of excuses and no attempt was made to adjust to what we had. Just glad we had Grier when we thumped UGa, oh wait.......!?!?!

Because we are on about a 7 year run of excuses and no attempt was made to adjust to what we had. Just glad we had Grier when we thumped UGa, oh wait.......!?!?!
We had Grier when we thumped Ole Miss. As for the UGA game last year and the year before we could have won with me playing QB the way UGA defended our running game.

Interesting. You imply that the blame for seven years of offensive ineptitude lies with the current coaching staff, not three different coaching staffs.

Two, you seem to be giving the current coaching staff credit for beating an unranked UGA team last year, but blaming them for getting beat by three ranked teams. All with a back up QB that had trouble completing passes against air. And about that unranked UGA team. They started a back-up too.

So, basically, you want it every way

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
First off if you are waiting for an Urban Meyer or a Steve Spurrier to just walk through that door and be the coach at UF then you may be waiting for a long time.

Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier are 2 of the GOAT coaches. Both in the top 10 of best college football coaches of all time.

Those type of coaches just don't grow on trees. For all we know we may never have another coach as good as those 2 in our lifetime. I'm not sure some are aware of that and it appears some took those 2 coaches for granted based on their comments.

Its not just about a home run hire. We have now twice tried to duplicate the Saban model from his LSU and early Bama years. 6 consecutive years of trying to "grind it out" and play safe. Hell, Saban dumped that a couple years ago when he sent Nuss packing. Now he uses a dual threat QB, airs it out and occasionally uses tempo. And here are the Gators playing 1970s football. We have no 'excitement' surrounding our program. We need something to flip the momentum. And I don't think Jimbo is more than an average coach, BUT he has managed to make FSU an appealing place for kids to land. The elite players in the state aren't even real high on UF. Its about philosophy and excitement that coaches great, we keep hiring guys that are more like cavemen than anything else. We need innovation, something that is exciting and showcases the speed advantage the Florida recruits offer. Right now we are stuck in a rut that appeals to the old timers hoping to relive their glory years. Ridicule me for it, but if things don't change soon, I think the minute Foley walks out that door Mac begins coaching for his job week in and week out.

I understand wanting excitement.

But you are also wanting to win multiple titles within a decade. What coach besides Saban and Meyer can produce that feat? Harbaugh seems like the only one that could POSSIBLY do that but after that it's not a possibility. It just isn't.

I understand wanting excitement.

But you are also wanting to win multiple titles within a decade. What coach besides Saban and Meyer can produce that feat? Harbaugh seems like the only one that could POSSIBLY do that but after that it's not a possibility. It just isn't.

I want to be competitive with title contenders and top tier teams. Mac is not that, nor does he bring the excitement needed to get the players needed to compete at that level. No, we can't all have Meyer and Saban, but there is an area between them and the crap we continually field. Hell, I think Muschamp brought more excitement than Mac. Granted he's not near the coach, but Florida football is just 'blah' right now, and it shows in our recruiting. Its not like we are on the verge of busting out with a loaded roster.

I want to be competitive with title contenders and top tier teams. Mac is not that, nor does he bring the excitement needed to get the players needed to compete at that level. No, we can't all have Meyer and Saban, but there is an area between them and the crap we continually field. Hell, I think Muschamp brought more excitement than Mac. Granted he's not near the coach, but Florida football is just 'blah' right now, and it shows in our recruiting. Its not like we are on the verge of busting out with a loaded roster.

I think it's reasonable to expect UF to be competitive for the SEC Title more often than not and to win the league every four or five years. By competing, I mean we go into games against Bama LSU etc... And feel like we have a realistic chance to beat them. I don't expect national titles, necessarily, but we should be a top-4 program in the SEC. since 2009, collectively, we've been a middle of the pack team in league.

Saban Saban blah blah.

It's not Saban. Not really.

It's the best coaching staff in the world, one that's twice the size of ours and at about 5 times the cost. He's got coaches for EVERYTHING, and he pays them enough that they don't leave unless the opportunity is ridiculously good, or because he cans them when they prove they aren't top tier and gets somebody else who is.

You want to win big again? It starts and ends with money. Foley is a tightwad, hopefully the new guy isn't.

Huh? What? Look at all the facility upgrades Mac has gotten for the football program. Your saying their was mkre excitement with Muschamp? Really? You must have forgetten that Vandy, Missouri and Georgia Southern losses already. That 4-8 season was pretty exciting. Mac already won the SEC east as well.

The facility upgrades alone has been pretty exciting to me. If It wasn't for Mac we wouldn't be doing all the things that have been done.

Even if Mac doesn't get it done he's already improved the program with just the facility upgrades. Otherwise we would still be sitting here with some of the worst facilities in the SEC and therefore making it even harder.

The first year in a half of the Mac era has been much more exciting than 4 years of Muschamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
By the way what is exactly wrong with the recruiting class? It is 10th in the country right now in average star rating. It has filled every need so far. Yes we need olineman but outside of that position every need has been met already with high quality prospects.

Huh? What? Look at all the facility upgrades Mac has gotten for the football program. Your saying their was mkre excitement with Muschamp? Really? You must have forgetten that Vandy, Missouri and Georgia Southern losses already. That 4-8 season was pretty exciting. Mac already won the SEC east as well.

The facility upgrades alone has been pretty exciting to me. If It wasn't for Mac we wouldn't be doing all the things that have been done.

Even if Mac doesn't get it done he's already improved the program with just the facility upgrades. Otherwise we would still be sitting here with some of the worst facilities in the SEC and therefore making it even harder.

The first year in a half of the Mac era has been much more exciting than 4 years of Muschamp.

The one thing I would say about Muschamp, and I wanted him fired and am glad we fired him, is that he was an elite recruiter and coach on one side of the ball. The defense was exciting (except for the bowl games). You thought if he could ever figure out how to have an average offense (he can't) we would be very difficult to deal with. I thought we were trading an elite defensive coach for an elite offensive coach. Maybe that will turn out to be the case once he gets a quarterback he can really work with, but I haven't seen it at all to this point. I'm afraid we're just going to end up mediocre to above-average on both sides, and in that respect I agree with Michi.

I guess I look at things differently. I don't see a coach taking UF to an offensive dynasty. I see a coach trying to balance out a roster and having good overall balance. A complete team.

I do think if some stuff doesn't change, there needs to be a few assistant coaches shown the door. Starting with Nord, then Summers, and possibly Nuss.

Visual depiction of relative "excitement" levels...

Muschamp...
collegehumor.ea0bad3fb863d817da217086bb3374e8.jpg

Mac...
sparkler-cup-750x497.jpg

Steve and Urban...
MTIxNDI3Mjk0MDg2MzMzOTY1.gif

Reactions: MJWilliamson

Yeah, just terrible recruiting by Mc-staff alright... :rolleyes:
Currently in the 90.55 percentile out of the 127 D1 teams, with a better than decent chance on moving up on the 11 higher rated classes by NSD.

Florida currently has the - #12 - 2017 class on Rivals with 16 commits.

Rivals Top 100
88. DE Zachary Carter 6-4 237 **** 5.9 - Tampa, FL

Rivals Top 150

115. DT Fred Hansard 6-3 314 **** 5.9 - Princeton, NJ
124. CB Elijah Blades 6-3 170 **** 5.9 - Pasadena, CA
130. CB Marco Wilson 6-0 185 **** 5.9 - Plantation, FL
139. RB Adarius Lemons 6-1 192 **** 5.9 - Clearwater, FL

Rivals Top 250

176. QB Jake Allen 6-3 204 **** 5.8 - Fort Lauderdale, FL
195. WR Daquon Green 6-1 192 **** 5.8 - Tampa, FL
219. OT Kadeem Telfort 6-6 323 **** 5.8 - Miami, FL

For a current total of 8 Rivals Top 250's.

About 1/2 of the Rivals Top 250 have yet to commit, including 14 of their Top 25.

Mc has 8 in Top 250, 6 from FL, with 2 of those from S.FL.
The Top 4 among them are all on the defense, (DE-DT-CB-CB).
Then (RB-QB-WR-OT) for a pretty decent mix of different positions of need.
==========

9 are ESPN Top 300's, with 12 of 16 (75%) as four stars.

#3 TE-H Kemore Gamble ****
#10 QB-PP Jake Allen ****
#12 WR Daquon Green ****
#12 DT Fred Hansard ****
#13 DE Zachary Carter ****
#15 RB Adarius Lemons ****
#22 CB Marco Wilson ****
#23 CB Shawn Davis 6-0 190 **** 81 - Miami, FL
#25 CB Elijah Blades****
---------------------
#10 TE-Y Zech Byrd 6-6 240 **** 80 - Millbrook, AL
#26 Ath/RB/DB Kadarius Toney **** 80 - Prichard, AL
#32 OT Kadeem Telfort **** 80
-------
(80 - 89 are 4 stars, so the next 3 are 2 pts away from being 4 stars)
#37 OLB James Houston IV 6-1 226 *** 78 - Plantation, FL
#42 OLB Ventrell Miller 6-0 227 *** 78 - Lakeland, FL
#47 DT Jordon Scott 6-1 350 *** 78 - Largo, FL
JC DT Javier Edwards 6-3 345 *** - Houston, TX

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT