ADVERTISEMENT

Sales is tough, love it and hate it. Any advice?

LordGator66

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2021
Random and don’t know if this is the appropriate forum but stuck without power from the tropical storm so why not.

Been in sales for awhile now, love the money , hate the lifestyle (travel, burnout, etc). Anybody been in sales and transitioned out, if so what did you go to? Love that you did it, hate it?

Random and don’t know if this is the appropriate forum but stuck without power from the tropical storm so why not.

Been in sales for awhile now, love the money , hate the lifestyle (travel, burnout, etc). Anybody been in sales and transitioned out, if so what did you go to? Love that you did it, hate it?
Opposite, I'm in Product Management and have had 2-3 opportunities to jump over to Sales and chose not to...for most of the reasons you list, excessive travel being #1. Didn't want to miss my kids growing up, and I get to do salesy stuff sometimes (enough to scratch the itch).

But Sales translates to other disciplines well - Product/Project management, Communications roles, Procurement. You might be bored if you like the expense accounts and pace...if you know what I mean.

Reactions: LordGator66
Opposite, I'm in Product Management and have had 2-3 opportunities to jump over to Sales and chose not to...for most of the reasons you list, excessive travel being #1. Didn't want to miss my kids growing up, and I get to do salesy stuff sometimes (enough to scratch the itch).

But Sales translates to other disciplines well - Product/Project management, Communications roles, Procurement. You might be bored if you like the expense accounts and pace...if you know what I mean.
There’s pros and cons to it like everything! I appreciate the insight man. That’s the main thing for me, my wife and I are relatively young but I want to be home when the kids come

40 years in Auto sales/management. What about the environment do you not like. The reason I ask...you can change your environment in most cases.

BTW I have worked at the same dealership for 38 years...34 as sales manager. I LOVE the people I work for, and with. I feel blessed by God I am so lucky to work where I do...do what I do, and who I do it with.

Reactions: LordGator66
My sales history- sold home security for 2.5 years (93-96)- all I did was every Monday I would go to the OCSO and find out where all the break ins were occurring and then go to that neighborhood and put flyers on the doors (in those days they would tell you where all the break ins were happening)- I sold atleast 20 systems a month and made good money for that time
in mid 96 got invited by a friend to go the the Florida Restaurant Show - as we walked around we came upon a booth that was pushing frozen cocktails and smoothies- my friend knew the owner and introduced us- we seemed to hit it off and so as we were leaving he asked me if I had a few minutes to talk further. We went across the street to the Peabody and sat in the bar- abuit an hour later he had offered me the job as the ONLY sales -person for Central Florida and I accepted. spent the next 8 years selling frozen cocktail mix- in 1999, they sold their distributor ship back to the parent corp. I was the top sales person for the entire company in 2000, so they split my territory. They split my territory 3 more times in the next 2.5 years, so I bought a FireHouse Subs Franchise and left. By mid 2013, I had had enough and sold my last 2 stores and retired. I was board so I got my real estate license and sold Time Shares from 2014 to early 2017. The money was crazy good but I hated the process, so I went to work for a builder and sold new homes until Sept of 22. An d then retired again. Sales is a great job but you really need to believe in what you are selling and you really need to be able to handle being told NO.

I hate everything about sales except the money which is why I'm hoping to hire someone to do front end assuming the economy doesn't kill my business.

I hate everything about sales except the money which is why I'm hoping to hire someone to do front end assuming the economy doesn't kill my business.
I couldn't sell pardons to Raiford Penitentiary inmates , so I got nothing. 😂 I detest being cold called, there is no way I could do that BS to others.

• Haha
Reactions: LordofallSocks

You might be something where you just deal with guys mostly but If it's sales where females are in on the decision hire a Chad. They will push the husband to buy it. I knew a guy years ago made a lot right off the bat just selling insurance because of that.

I am a partner in a global consulting firm. Yes, I have a number.

I have also a targeted set of clients whom I have worked with for years and helped them be very successful.

Tip? Don’t tether your emotions or self-esteem to the outcomes of the sales process. As a DB coach would say, “next play.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Ron 1
You might be something where you just deal with guys mostly but If it's sales where females are in on the decision hire a Chad. They will push the husband to buy it. I knew a guy years ago made a lot right off the bat just selling insurance because of that.
I build custom guitars, aint seen a woman yet.

Reactions: Gator Fever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT