ADVERTISEMENT

Retired Tampa Cop Shoots Man in movie over a cell phone

Apr 7, 2010
A man was shot dead and his wife wounded after an argument over texting in a movie theater Monday afternoon in Wesley Chapel, Florida, Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said.
The suspect, Curtis Reeves, is a retired Tampa police officer, Nocco said. He will be charged with second-degree homicide, according to Nocco.
Nocco identified the victims as Chad and Nicole Oulson, who he said were sitting in a row in front of another couple. An earlier release from the sheriff's department said the shooting occurred before a showing of the movie "Lone Survivor."
"There was an altercation because the victim was using his cell phone. He was texting," Nocco said. "This led to a verbal altercation, the verbal altercation escalated."
Reeves pulled out a .380-caliber handgun and as Nicole Oulson raised her hand, the shooter fired once, Nocco said.
A witness said the shooting happened during previews to the movie. Charles Cummings told reporters that Chad Oulson sat two seats from him and his son. Reeves was upset by Oulson's cell phone use and the two argued, Reeves then got up and left the theater for a brief time, Cummings said.
"He came back very irritated," Cummings said. Nocco told reporters that the shooter had gone to report the encounter to an employee.
The two men started arguing again and the cell phone user told the other man he was just texting his daughter, Cummings said. A few silent seconds elapsed and the argument started again.
Nocco said Oulson confronted the shooter about going to the theater employee.
Cummings said the argument got louder.
"Their voices started going up. There seemed to almost be a confrontation," Cummings said. "Somebody throws popcorn; I'm not sure who threw it. And then bang, he was shot."
The victim staggered over and fell on Cummings and his son. A nurse who was in the theater performed CPR on the victim until the paramedics arrived, said Cummings, who like his son, had spatters of blood on his clothes.
The shooter sat down and put the gun on his lap, and an off-duty deputy from Sumter County who was there to watch the film made sure the shooter didn't leave.
Nocco said Reeves was at the theater with his wife, and there was no indication that the two couples involved knew each other.
The shooting happened at about 1:30 p.m. inside one of the theaters at the Grove 16 complex, sheriff's spokeswoman Melanie Snow said.
"This was an isolated altercation between two guests that escalated unexpectedly. The safety, security and comfort of our guests and team members are always our top priorities, and we are truly heartbroken by this incident," Cobb Theatres, which operates the Grove complex, said in a written statement.

No words to describe how tragic and rediculous this is. There are 25 people in the theater. Of all the options available to you...like move to another seat, no you choose to shoot the guy who is bothering you texting?

You never know who you are going to run into out there...I worry about it mainly on the roads. You piss someone off...they have a gun and a attitude and the next thing you know...

Originally posted by Dr. Nole:

No words to describe how tragic and rediculous this is. There are 25 people in the theater. Of all the options available to you...like move to another seat, no you choose to shoot the guy who is bothering you texting?

The shooter/ex cop spent a career telling people what to do instantly...or else. Moving to another seat allowing someone to get away with texting wasn't an option. Stupid rule breaker. If the ex cop didn't do something, to the texter, how's he supposed to learn?

Originally posted by 93nole99:
Originally posted by Dr. Nole:

The shooter/ex cop spent a career telling people what to do instantly...or else. Moving to another seat allowing someone to get away with texting wasn't an option. Stupid rule breaker. If the ex cop didn't do something, to the texter, how's he supposed to learn?
Bingo. That's exactly how cops think. Exactly.

But but but it was self defense ! Wouldn't you shoot someone who tossed some popcorn on you?
WHY does this cop get to bring a gun to the movies?

He'll have to be separated from the gen pop - unfortunately.

Originally posted by goldmom:
But but but it was self defense ! Wouldn't you shoot someone who tossed some popcorn on you?

He'll have to be separated from the gen pop - unfortunately.
News reports now of another family who endured his officiousness at the same theater on a different day.

Originally posted by MJWilliamson:

Different theaters have different rules on concealed carry.
I for one would like to know if folks are bringing guns into a movie theater. Concealed carry permit or not. That does not make me want to go to the movies anymore.

I for one would like to know if folks are bringing guns into a movie theater. Concealed carry permit or not. That does not make me want to go to the movies anymore.
You're worried about movie theaters, but not shopping malls and grocery stores?

I'm actually concerned about all of the above, but we're discussing movie theaters at the moment.

With that stadium seating, it's pretty difficult to pull off "making a run for it".

You're worried that you're going to get shot by someone carrying a concealed firearm?

Check the stats. It rarely happens.

The dude in Colorado that shot all the people at the Batman movie did it in a theater that advertises no privately owned firearms are permitted on the premises.

Ya think that's a coincidence?

Ya think wack job shooters that blow kids away do it because they know the children can't offer any resistance and there are no guns there?

Lord almighty.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Wow goldie, you really went off the rails on this one! As a FL resident you are around people carrying guns every day every place you go. I thought you were conservative. ...you should be able to reason that a firearm is a tool...its the person you need to fear. Shame the victim wasn't able to fight back. I tell you this, this story reinforces for me the need to carry even for that quick trip to the store or to the matinee. You never know when evil will strike. Heck carry at home or doing yard work is actually a pretty darn good idea.

Hey DJE
did you see my video on my FB page of me shooting the Wilson combat
that is a sweet sweet .45

Originally posted by SwamiG8R:

Hey DJE
did you see my video on my FB page of me shooting the Wilson combat
that is a sweet sweet .45
Wilson Combat makes great chit! I'll check out the video....if it was recent, I have been very busy, esp with SHOT show...

DJE I am conservative, but I don't want to get shot! Why should I HAVE to worry about getting shot?

I just wanna watch a movie where the only folks who get blown away are on the screen.

YOU try to pull a gun out of YOUR purse in a dark theater, dude.
laugh.r191677.gif

No one wants to get shot, and no one wants to worry about it everywhere they go....but the reality is, evil exists in the world, and a "No guns allowed" sign won't protect you....you ultimately are responsible for yourself.

At this particular theater there is a sign on the door explicitly prohibiting guns and other weapons. I live in the area and go to this theater occasionally.

Originally posted by passoverGator:

Judge denied bail for the shooter after a hearing last week.
Good. Now may he spend the rest of his life in jail.
Ex-cops are probably popular in the yard.

Originally posted by Ghost of Spaceheater:
You're worried that you're going to get shot by someone carrying a concealed firearm?

Check the stats. It rarely happens.

The dude in Colorado that shot all the people at the Batman movie did it in a theater that advertises no privately owned firearms are permitted on the premises.

Ya think that's a coincidence?

Ya think wack job shooters that blow kids away do it because they know the children can't offer any resistance and there are no guns there?

Lord almighty.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
You mean criminals don't respect gun free zones? I mean, shooting someone while committing a crime is one thing but carrying a gun past a sign that says no guns is just insane!

I never carry mine into a gun free zone.

It was an illegal ruling by the judge. He's only charged with second degree murder. As a matter of law, you're entitled to bond on any crime except for first degree murder. If his lawyers file a petition for writ of habeas corpus at the Second District Court of Appeal then they will win. The judge knows this. It was a political move on the judge's part and a massive waste of the taxpayers' time & money.

You might want to tone down the paranoia a bit. Concealed carry allows people to carry weapons in most venues. While different states have different gun restrictions, ANY place of business has the right to either allow or disallow handguns, including movie theaters. If there is not a sign in front of the retail establishment restricting guns and it is not illegal to carry them there, one can usually safely assumes one can carry. That said, if I intend to carry in a retail establishment, I usually check the web site of the place to see if they have any restrictions. If they do have restrictions and you do carry, all they can really do is ask you to leave. And call the police to have you arrested for trespassing if you do not.

Chances are, if you are in any kind of retail establishment that does not restrict concealed carry and there are more than 30 people inside, someone has a gun. And more and more often it is likely to be a woman.

This post was edited on 2/11 12:31 PM by MJWilliamson

It was an illegal ruling by the judge. He's only charged with second degree murder. As a matter of law, you're entitled to bond on any crime except for first degree murder. If his lawyers file a petition for writ of habeas corpus at the Second District Court of Appeal then they will win. The judge knows this. It was a political move on the judge's part and a massive waste of the taxpayers' time & money.
I figured there were limits on what the judge could do. I don't do criminal, so I didn't know. I assumed there must have been some sort of heightened sandard the judge could "find" in order to deny bond, or he couldn't keep him. Now it makes sense...he just abused his authority to not be the one to release the guy.

Can the judge set the bond basically out of reach to keep him in? What authority does the 2nd DCA have to remand and set a bond figure on their own?

I figured there were limits on what the judge could do. I don't do criminal, so I didn't know. I assumed there must have been some sort of heightened sandard the judge could "find" in order to deny bond, or he couldn't keep him. Now it makes sense...he just abused his authority to not be the one to release the guy.

Can the judge set the bond basically out of reach to keep him in? What authority does the 2nd DCA have to remand and set a bond figure on their own?
The judge can try, but even with a very high bond you can still get a write issued. If the judge were smart then what she'd do is give him a lot of conditions while out that he would invariably not follow then you have grounds to deny him bond altogether. The purpose of bond is primarily to ensure your appearance at court. The secondary purpose is to protect society. The amount of the bond must be 'reasonable' which changes based on a person's circumstances.

If it were me then I'd probably set bond at somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-250K; require that he turn in his passport; turn over all his firearms to the sheriff for safekeeping; and either be on a GPS ankle monitor or restrict his movements and require verification by reporting daily to a court officer. I'd also give him a curfew.

I don't disagree with what you'd set the bond at or restrictions. I'm thinking the Judge will put more on the bond amount given what we've seen so far.

I didn't pay attention to the name, but thought I saw a dark haired dude on the bench when the TV news reported the bail denial. Could be wrong. Is the judge on the case a "her", or were you being pc gender sensitive?

The purpose of bond is primarily to ensure your appearance at court. The secondary purpose is to protect society.
That is simply an untrue statement of the law.

903.046 (1) The purpose of a bail determination in criminal proceedings is to ensure the appearance of the criminal defendant at subsequent proceedings AND (not "secondarily") to protect the community against unreasonable danger from the criminal defendant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT