ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting 101:

JasonHigdon

Bull Gator
Staff
Nov 5, 2021
Recruiting 101:
I have talked to dozens of college coaches from one side of the country to the other. The message is unified and crystal clear.
Recruiting used to be about building relationships and developing talent, but that is not the case as we continue to move down the NIL path. We have not seen the full impact of the NIL situation yet, but we will once the early signing period arrives.

Another significant issue is that these kids do not have NFL Agents reading through dozens and dozens of pages of contract pages. They do not have the proper infrastructure from accountants, lawyers, or agents to handle some of this.
The biggest fear is you can have the best relationships in the world with a player, his family, and his high school coach only to see him swooped away at the last minute by another team willing to pay him more money to keep him away from you. None of this is earth-shattering information, but it is accurate and concerning.

To what extent is the real question, and unfortunately, we do not have enough data to know.

Over 90% of all the coaches I have spoken with about this situation all ended the call by saying wait until the IRS gets a hold of them. They believe it started with the right intentions but now has spiraled out of control with no end in sight.

I have told you that kids end up at schools when they don’t want to attend – not their first choice and sometimes not their second choice, and NIL will only advance that situation even more. How can that be good for the game of college football?

This is the CFB world we live in, and we need to be able to adapt quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News