ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Controversy 2020?

Jones is getting better and better.......but I think we need to go with the great decisionmaking gunslinger in his last season. EJ will still have 2 more seasons after that to ball out all by himself.

As long as EJ doesn't think he is the next Justin Fields. We all see how that transfer worked out.

Glad he's all in!! I love this kid and hopes he gets his shot. Trask should be the starter, deservedly so.

And then there is Richardson....who has apparently been highly impressive. I doubt he wants to sit for 3 years.

Reactions: grommit
I think Trask will probably be on a short leash next year. Trask won't have the WRs to throw to next year, so we'll need to rely more heavily on the run game. I like Trask but Emory will be our best shot at winning it all.

I don't see any with Mullen as coach. He will talk like it's always open but Jones would have to be way better in practice for him to even consider that. Barring an injury Trask will be the starter imo

I'm impressed with Emory and his patience...he can run Mullen's offense the way that Mullen wants....he's super fast. If he can take the job then that's cool...we'll see how much we can throw it this coming year. I do expect the running game to be better. Certainly the O Line will be better and more experienced.

I'm impressed with Emory and his patience...he can run Mullen's offense the way that Mullen wants....he's super fast. If he can take the job then that's cool...we'll see how much we can throw it this coming year. I do expect the running game to be better. Certainly the O Line will be better and more experienced.
I love this kind of problem.

At some point we are going to lose a QB in the transfer-thingy...

it’s funny how Mullen comes here...and “poof” just like magic, we now have TOO MANY good QB’s...hmmmmm....
already did. Franks is gone

2020 Roster --- 2019 Stats

Kyle Trask 6-5 239 rsSr -- 8-2 as the starter, plus the 4th Qtr come-back at UK.
P - 237 of 354, 66.95% for 2,941 yds, 12.4 yds/comp, 25 TD's, 7 Ints, L-66
R - Season stats skewed by the negative sack yds behind a young/weak OL.
~ Last Game 8 for 34 yds, 4.3 ypc, 1 TD, L-16. (season 4 rushing TD's)

Emory Jones 6-2 199 rsSo - Solid backup and continues to improve.
P - 25 of 38, 65.79% for 267 yds, 10.7 yds/comp, 3 TD's, 0 Int, L-48
R - 42 for 256 yds, 6.1 ypc, 4 TD's, L-29
All season stats are somewhat skewed by his limited game action.

Anthony Richardson 6-4 225 Fr
EE in class and joined the bowl practices.
Elite 11 QB - Won the distance throw with a 70+ pass.
Looks like he could combine the best of both Trask & Jones.
In the coming Spring practices and the O&B game, we shall see...

There is no controversy, except maybe in the minds of the fans, or in the daily drivel from the media-morons. o_O

The best QB will start whomever that turns out to be, and the other 2 will continue to improve and play as needed. :cool:

PS

Every season is different. Different roster makeup with different opponents to prepare for. The growing-improving 2020 roster player talent will be supplemented by the FNG, recruits and the xfers, Don't try to judge what's coming by what has been, it won't work. By the end of the O&B game we will all begin to have some idea about what the team will look like for 2020, but even then, the final product won't prove itself until the games begin to unfold.
I begin another off-season with my fan chin up and my outlook hopeful... ;)

(unlike the Mad-Dog-dollie, the Nailed-head choker, and the neutered-lame) :p

It’s astonishing that anybody who actually watched this past season would think that Jones gives us a better chance to win than Trask...
Its a tough crowd for sure. So unappreciative of a QB that took us to a NY6 bowl win.

I'm all for the Emory packages unlike you are. I'm usually all for the duel threat, thats if he is better. However when you have a gun slinger making plays, go with him.

I dont get what people are watching or exactly what they want. I know a duel threat is whats good for Mullen's system but obviously Mullen knows what he is working with. Mullen knows how to adjust.

It’s astonishing that anybody who actually watched this past season would think that Jones gives us a better chance to win than Trask...

Wrong.

Did you watch the bowl game? Trask was very unimpressive. He throws a very poor deep ball and misses low a lot. He throws nice passes 0-10 yards to elite WR. He also is below average in the red zone.

i think Mullen will have a hard time making an all out switch, but I think Emory will be much more heavily involved.

And I wouldn’t rule out him transferring if not

Mullen - "I don't want or need a running QB. I just need a QB that is willing to run it 5-8 times per game, when it's the best option on a given play." o_O

Bowl Game - Trask ran it 8 times for 34 yds, 4.3 ypc, 1 TD, L-16.

With a better OL and a year in Dan's system as the starter, I'm betting that 2020 will be even more productive, without there being a lot more QB runs per game. The RB's are the ones that need to be carrying the rushing yards load, not the QB. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: rdgtr
We haven't seen enough of Jones to know if he would be more effective. Trask played great. I dont care who starts...I just want to win. Im sure the best guy will start.

Reactions: instaGATOR

In this past year, no. The passing game was simply far superior to the run game, so to effectively move the ball we had to throw a lot. Next year we will have a normal (but still quite good) WR corp so we will need more balance. That is where Jones could have the edge. If Trask is in the game, and we can't run it, and he can't find an open guy (because we don't have elite WR's running against LB's any more), then we may have no choice but to go to Jones, because his running ability will open up the passing game.

Wrong.

Did you watch the bowl game? Trask was very unimpressive. He throws a very poor deep ball and misses low a lot. He throws nice passes 0-10 yards to elite WR. He also is below average in the red zone.

i think Mullen will have a hard time making an all out switch, but I think Emory will be much more heavily involved.

Outside of the bowl game Trask has been pretty accurate...teams know that we were going to throw. I think he's been accurate with the ball and he mainly makes good decisions. The lack of our running game has made it more difficult on the QB throwing the ball...our WR's made up for it this past season.

What's crazy to me is when Jones comes in he averages more yards running if than the RB's...it seems. Lol Either way Mullen has time to figure out things.. Jones is going to develop more and so will Trask. I think we will see more of Emory this coming year...if Trask is the starter then I'm all behind the kid. Trask stepped up big time and everyone in the country noticed it. He saved our season at the most important and hardest to play. If Emory stays he's probably the next guy and the new kid from GVille can develop over time. Outside of injuries/transfers we are looking real good at the QB position!

Haven't been able to say that in a decade.

Reactions: instaGATOR
In this past year, no. The passing game was simply far superior to the run game, so to effectively move the ball we had to throw a lot. Next year we will have a normal (but still quite good) WR corp so we will need more balance. That is where Jones could have the edge. If Trask is in the game, and we can't run it, and he can't find an open guy (because we don't have elite WR's running against LB's any more), then we may have no choice but to go to Jones, because his running ability will open up the passing game.
That's how I feel about it...Jones is elusive, fast and creates problems that allow the running game and passing game openings. We'll see what happens.

And then there is Richardson....who has apparently been highly impressive. I doubt he wants to sit for 3 years.
Richardson is highly touted, but his teams at Gainesville Eastside were not very good. I always wonder about kids who come to a D-1 program without being on a quality high school team. Most big time QB's at major schools played on championship-caliber high school teams. I guess time will tell and hope he does well.

Let's see now. They have to play Jones because Trask can't run :confused:, and there won't be any Quality WR's in 2020 :oops:. Also with 5-6 RB's, and the fast improving OL, they won't be able to run the ball at all without Jones.... :rolleyes:

Wells-Pitts-Toney-Grimes-Copeland---Marks-Weston (7 returning)
----------

“Tall, slender and muscular wide receiver prospect out of Miami who made massive leap from 2017 through 2018 as an athlete,” it says in his player evaluation. “Legit deep threat with breakaway speed and verified track times to validate. Explosive relative to size short or long distances. Ultra productive in Florida’s highest high school classification with three scores in state title game. Solid route runner who can be effective on double moves with plus hands. Wide catch radius and can find the football at its apex with good tracking skills and body control. Drives off line of scrimmage with great lean, puts considerable pressure on defensive back soon after snap. Effective after the catch with long stride. Should prove productive on national stage and turn overall package into early round NFL Draft selection down the line.”

Who did 'Dan the Man' beat out for WR Xzavier Henderson 6-4 185 59/247?
Dabo/CU, CFP Finalist - 4th&Dumb/UGly, SECe-C - Saban/UA #2 SECw
----------

And how about this guy? Dan beat out AU-UGly-TN--PSU-FSU-Mia for him.
WR Jaquavion Fraziars 6-4 194 (4.64/40 2-24-19)- Dunhellon, FL - UA-AA 197/247
(not an EE because he's playing baseball for his HS)
----------

Ath/WR Marc Britt 6-2 190 - Miami, FL
FL-UA--Bay-UL-Mia-Neb-PSU-Pitt
----------

WR Leonard Manuel 6-5 200 - Ocala / Ft Lauderdale, FL
A former 5 star, NSD Hard Commit, Academics??
IF he makes it in, he's yet another 4-star that might play in 2020.
Top Offers: UF-UGly--FSU-Mia-tOSU
----------

WR Jordan Pouncey 6-2 205 - Winter Park, FL (Tx grad-xfer)
=====

After all the grief that I got for saying that Trask should be in the game ahead of Del Rio, Appleby, Zaire, or even Franks.... (is Lizzie dating Emory, or just wants to?) :D

I'm all for using Jones. If you have a plan, as Mullen will, switching the qbs can be very effective. Look at the Saints game yesterday and what Sean Payton did with Taysom Hill. Brings him in for two plays at mid-field, the first a short yardage keeper for a first down and then on first down a play action 50 yard pass down the middle to a guy behind the defense by 10 yards. I think you'll see more of this. How many substitutions can get you a free crack at a game breaking play? I just wish Sean Payton had got ahold of Tim Tebow!

Wrong.

Not sure how good Jones would be as a starter but with Mullen being hard headed on going with the experience Jones may be on the bench most of the time whether better or not. See other QB situations like Franks being in front of Trask prior to injury. Same thing happened with others also before an injury replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT