ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for this offense in 2017?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
What are your general predictions for this offense in 2017?

We have some talent there and there is no excuse for the O line when it comes to youth this season. QB play is the biggest question mark obviously.

I think we make progress especially in our SEC games compared to the past few years but don't think we will be a top 5 SEC team in total offense/game. I think we maybe move up from # 13 in the SEC to maybe # 7 or # 8. The running game should make a big move forward from dead last this past season.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/jim-mcelwain-and-the-deception-offense

I wonder if we will see many articles like this one from 2016.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"McElwain gets more creative than deceptive in the red zone.

To combat this, McElwain got creative, introducing Wildcat formations, unbalanced lines, jet sweeps, additional lineman, increased tempo and defensive linemen as fullbacks.

It’s another example of matchup football and creating confusion"

"In many ways, this formation is a microcosm of McElwain’s offense — old-school football mixed with a dash of deception and creativity. Although it doesn’t score the same style points as the offenses run by Gus Malzahn or Kevin Sumlin, it is every bit as impressive.

Indeed, if you asked me to name the best offensive coach in the SEC today, it would be hard to look past McElwain and his deception-based unit."

Of course, the problem is that McElwain is not calling the offense.

Yep Nuss calls the plays but I am sure they work together drawing the plays up with Mac's background. Maybe Mac needs to take over if Nuss shows its an issue again early this season.

Of course, the problem is that McElwain is not calling the offense.

QFT.

When Mac called our offense predictable last year it was the closest I've seen a coach come to throwing one of his assistants under the bus without actually doing it.

LOL

clubber-lang-pain.png

Reactions: nail1988
It could be good. It could be bad. sadgstor cannot remember ever being this uncertain about a Florida team.

I was watching a couple of the replays on SECN, and I do think that McElwain knows how to design a run game. When it's working right, he can get the defense moving and create space. And we've got good backs. We just need to be able to make enough passing plays to get the defense off of us. That's the part we haven't seen with any consistency since Tebow left.

I see more talent and depth than in the recent past, but a lot of questions too. IF they can settle on a QB who is consistent, the improvement could be substantial. Otherwise, we're going to struggle again.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I think if we actually show am offense that plays to Zaire's strengths we could improve. But I am not holding my breath, Mac's O at Bama and here have been pretty basic. His CSU offense was different but that appears to have been Baldwin's doing. And we do have loads of WR talent, but to that point Mac was OC during the time Julio was at Bama and he has been very vocal about he felt like he was underutilized and would never choose that agin if given the choice.

I think the pieces are there to improve, but I am not convinced we are not going to see the same crap again.

Michi, you are an ok dude. Better than a few others that constantly post off the wall non sports stuff.

But enough of the Julio stuff. It's hard to satisfy a WR when you have Ingram, Richardson, and Lacy all in the same backfield. They won a flipping national title, Julio not getting enough touches or not. Plus a Heisman to boot.

What was Mark Ingram's thoughts on the offense? Richardson's? Lacy's?

Reactions: instaGATOR
Scarlett will have right at 1,000 yards. Perine around 600, Thompson about 300, and some youngsters around 150 plus. Toney for about 200. Zaire 400ish or so.

Callaway will have about 850-900 yards. Massey will have about 400 ap yards. Powell around 300. Cleveland around 400-500 or so. Swain, Hammonds, and company around 450 combined. TE's combined for 500.

So the QB/QB's will throw for close to 3,000 yards.

Michi, you are an ok dude. Better than a few others that constantly post off the wall non sports stuff.

But enough of the Julio stuff. It's hard to satisfy a WR when you have Ingram, Richardson, and Lacy all in the same backfield. They won a flipping national title, Julio not getting enough touches or not. Plus a Heisman to boot.

What was Mark Ingram's thoughts on the offense? Richardson's? Lacy's?

That is kind of the point. That worked with 5 All American OL and 3 All American RBs. We don't have that. Thats why Kiffin was brought in, because they needed a creative, more aggressive offfense. Saban also has strictly DT QBs now. The game is evolving and those who keep up are staying ahead of the game. The college game is no longer between the tackle running and pocket passing as the primary game plans. Washington was the only playoff team without a DT QB and they used a ton of tempo and spread their offense way out. We need to keep up, and to my original post, we shall see if we realize that

That is kind of the point. That worked with 5 All American OL and 3 All American RBs. We don't have that. Thats why Kiffin was brought in, because they needed a creative, more aggressive offfense. Saban also has strictly DT QBs now. The game is evolving and those who keep up are staying ahead of the game. The college game is no longer between the tackle running and pocket passing as the primary game plans. Washington was the only playoff team without a DT QB and they used a ton of tempo and spread their offense way out. We need to keep up, and to my original post, we shall see if we realize that
I'm in total agreement with you on a philosophy change on offense but I don't care that Julio wasn't happy winning the Natty and having a teammate win a Heisman all in the same year. Sounds selfish.

If we win the Natty and Jordan Scarlett wins the Heisman are you going to give two shitz that Antonio Callaway wasn't happy with his touches although he caught enough to be an All American?

I'm in total agreement with you on a philosophy change on offense but I don't care that Julio wasn't happy winning the Natty and having a teammate win a Heisman all in the same year. Sounds selfish.

If we win the Natty and Jordan Scarlett wins the Heisman are you going to give two shitz that Antonio Callaway wasn't happy with his touches although he caught enough to be an All American?

Its not about poor Julio. Its the fact we all love out WR depth, but that isn't necessarily a predictor of offensive success in this system. I am not sure the current system works at an elite level without a once in a generation combo of an all-NFL OL and several NFL backs. We've been trying to run at people since Addazio was OC. How has it worked? Hint: it doesn't

QFT.

When Mac called our offense predictable last year it was the closest I've seen a coach come to throwing one of his assistants under the bus without actually doing it.

Yet we retained the OC. Its the Butch Jones approach, just make sure you always have a scapegoat to deflect criticism

Its not about poor Julio. Its the fact we all love out WR depth, but that isn't necessarily a predictor of offensive success in this system. I am not sure the current system works at an elite level without a once in a generation combo of an all-NFL OL and several NFL backs. We've been trying to run at people since Addazio was OC. How has it worked? Hint: it doesn't

We've been trying to run at people for a looooooooooooooo *deep breath* ooooooooooooooong time.

What are your general predictions for this offense in 2017?

We have some talent there and there is no excuse for the O line when it comes to youth this season. QB play is the biggest question mark obviously.

I think we make progress especially in our SEC games compared to the past few years but don't think we will be a top 5 SEC team in total offense/game. I think we maybe move up from # 13 in the SEC to maybe # 7 or # 8. The running game should make a big move forward from dead last this past season.

Two WR's remain in question for the start of the season:

WR Antonio Callaway 5-11 197 Jr - Stupidity / Weed
WR James Robinson 6-4 205 Fr - Lazy Academics / NCAA
Their main problem so far is their inability to get their turds rounded up.
Freedom of choice, but not freedom from responsibility or consequences.
Both 'could' eventually be considered excellent Gator's, but that's yet to be seen because of 'off the field' problems. You can't become a Great Gator player, unless you can first get on the field, and then stay on the field all season... o_O
=================

So, does that leave the Gator WR Cupboard empty of quality receivers? - Hardly.

Slot WR Brandon Powell 5-9 184 Sr - Very Fast and rock solid.
Slot WR Dre Massey 5-09 180 rsJr - Even Faster, 1st game ACL in 2016.
QB/WR/RB Kadarius Toney 5-11 180 Fr-EE - WILD, from anywhere on the field.
=====

WR Kalif Jackson 6-4 217 rsSo - 2 Gms at end of season, 2X SEC Academic H-R.
WR Tyrie Cleveland 6-2 196 So - Hamstring early, then 14 for 298 yds, 21.3 yds/rec, 2 TD's.
WR Josh Hammond 6-1 186 So - solid Fr season and progressing daily
WR Freddie Swain 6-0 186 So - solid Fr season and progressing daily
-----
WR Rick Wells 6-0 206 rsFr - Big-solid, looking to break out in 2017
-----
WR Daquon Green 6-1 187 Fr - UA-AA
HS Career, 4 Years:
Rec - 115 for 2,255 yds, 19.6 yds/rec, 26 TD's
Rush - 21 for 131 yds, 6.2 ypc.
(imo, this kid could challenge Callaway) :cool:

W-O's -- Sometimes W-O's (Doering) can be pretty good...

WR/QB Tucker 'Hunter' Nordman 6-1 192 rsSo
> He had the Toney TD rec in Spring, also perfect for a double pass play.
WR Charles 'Fisher' Nordman 6-1 180 rsSo (his QB brother's #1 WR in HS)
-----

Slot WR Jacob Mesenger 5-9 171 rsJr
Slot WR Glenn Jarriel 5-8 173 rsSo

Plus a full load of TE's and RB's that are pretty good receivers.

This is part of why I'd rather have a high completion % QB than just a runner. They have top quality and excellent depth at RB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT