Green Machine
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Game Haiku:

Sat night D was lit
Billy coach scared, loses it
DJ floor is yours

Praises:

* Really proud of the team's effort - they played inspired, fought till the end and left it all on the field.
* Pyburn got the energy flowing and catalyst for D play... forcing TO's and negative plays
* Denson continues to show continued improvement - love watching him play
* Dike continues to shine in the punt returner role - huge area of improvement this season
* Lagway's Q4 drive to tie the game late ... this is a huge experience moment that DJ can always refer back to - 100k screaming in hostile road environment in future games ... hopefully we'll pull it out the next times
* MJ & Mertz - they balled right to the end. Their biggest plays both ended up with game ending (possible season ending plays). They've been great Gator ambassadors and thank them for representing the Gator nation well
* TEs in the passing game... had lots of positive impact, moving the chains, scoring TD's
* Players handling Saturday night environment in Knoxville... they didn't look scared or intimated...

Postulates:

- The game was lost early and continued reinforcement led to the fait accompli... Gator fans were conned by this "Scared $" mantra. Billy coached like he crapped on himself...
Exhibit 1: 4th and 4 inside the 45 in Q1 - go for it - you're the underdogs... remember what Spurrier did in 96 in the same stadium in same location ... those who go bold get the spoils.
Exhibit 2: Later on Heupel had 4 and 1 from inside the 15 - he goes for it and gets it.... while he didn't score points on that drive - it served as a reinforcement we are playing to win and we believe in you...
Exhibit 3: The final coffin is kicking the extra point instead of going for 2. One play to win the game. Even if you don't get it... Gator fans will appreciate and respect the decision (yes we'll lament about the first half). Everyone knew going to OT was fatal for Gators... especially with '98 flashbacks.

I don't understand why Billy doesn't coach freely instead of tight... everyone knows he's being replaced at year's end (there is no benefit to fire him until after FSU and just work back channels). Being free means - have a trick play or 2, always going for it when given 50/50 choice,

- Equally baffling is clock management situations - year 3 and zero improvement. Calling TO's when the clock is stopped, watching end of half/game situation with FG unit repeat itself - what happened to the mat? How does this not get corrected? Self-inflicted - and that's 100% on coaching

- Playcalling decisions:
Exhibit 1 (see above about punting instead of going for it on 4 & 4)
Exhibit 2 - 4th and inches - run the Bush push - that's where you run Mertz and not the end around... or at least give it to MJ to fall forward 1 yard.
Exhibit 3 - 1st and goal - NOW you run Mertz!?!?!? - MJ just destroyed Tenn D - reward him with biscuit... absolutely befuddling
Exhibit 4 - Tre's lack of touches - where's the first down calls of bubble screen or end arounds. Remember last year, Tre was shredding before getting hurt.
Exhibit 5 - 1st down pass incompletion = 2nd down run... add this to I/pistol formation always being a run - and the continued predictability isn't fooling anyone.

- 4 chances in the red zone - only getting 3 points - game was decided right there.

- D and game reminded me of classic Muschamp years - finding ways to keep Gators team in it while offensive tries to find itself. Eventually D gets worn down and succumbs due to missed opportunities in 1st half.

- This is Lagway's team now - hate the circumstances - but now he can truly ball out without looking over his shoulder. Let's pray Billy playcalls a more vertical offense that plays into DJ's strengths- which disappeared between 1st drive and last drive of Q4.

- RG is still a weakspot on the team... on one play there were 3 Vols that could've been blocked, instead he looked like a turnstyle - spun around, watched the play and blocked no one.

- Turnovers - officially 2 each - however we all know Florida had 2 more unofficial TO's
- 3rd down conversions - Florida improved - D shined - 4/15, while O was 5/15
- 4th down conversions - Florida - 0/2 while Tenn was 2/2 - another example of game outcome effected

- Middle 8 - scoreless due to coaching blunder.

- Pet peeves 🤬- D faking injuries on fast break offenses and "look at me" first downs...
> Personally they should change the rule where if a player is injured - they can't return until the current series is over or the next quarter - whichever comes first
> Getting a first down is expected - not some look at me moment... You're emotionally fired up - great - find a teammate to celebrate with. Especially not a good look when you're trailing.... then again ... can't spell "Team" without "ME"

- Watching other games - for those wanting Kiffin - WHY?? ... he's Billy only with personality. Can't win the big game, constantly seeing disorganziation including burning TO's when clock is stopped (Kentucky game) and the players play like mercenaries instead of a unified group playing for their coach... (Would regress to the Mullen rogueness which I'm not interested in) Watching LSU game mixed in with ours was like watching the same thing - Groundhog Day... (throw in FSU as well)

> Love Beamer - especially his special teams - was excited to see how they would onside k against Bama... I believe he's a coach that given Florida's talent would beat our rivals... however get thrashed by Arky on a noon kickoff.

> A coach who should be garnering serious consideration is Chris Klieman from K-State. He has successfully developed Howard (who's at OSU) and Johnson into game changing QB's. He's won everywhere he's been - with NIL - it's more important than ever to have a compentent coach who can develop and game plan than a recruiting coach.

> Another coach who's going to be an extremely hot commodity 2 years from now - Kenny Dillingham - who's now at ASU. West coach, offensive minded... wouldn't be surprised if USC is introducing him then to replace Lincoln "I'm scared of competition" Riley.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.