ADVERTISEMENT

Our Defense had no fatigue excuse for the 2nd half

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Tennessee only ran 4 plays or less on 8 of their 9 drives in the 2nd half. Both teams ran about an equal amount of plays in the 2nd half. All of Tenn's scores were just crappy defense basically. I am really worried about this season after seeing that was the case besides Nusschamp's mess.

See what you're saying but that analysis is kinda flawed. The number of plays doesn't matter much. UT scored 28 points in something like 10 mins. So even though the defense didn't defend lots of plays it would be the equivalent of them being on the field for 10 straight minutes. All that happened when we were going through our epic coaching induced drought.

Reactions: zengator
Nuss needs to see a psychiatrist because I'm afraid he suffers Bipolar Syndrome!!!!!

The Florida offense had five 3 and outs in the 2nd half and one turn over on downs. The only 1st downs that they gained came on that TD drive against a UT defense using several, 3rd and 4th teamers.
Your 1st 1st down of the 2nd half came with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. That puts a huge strain on ANY defense

You got serious rushing problems. 31 carries for only 106 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: HardeeWildcatFan
See what you're saying but that analysis is kinda flawed. The number of plays doesn't matter much. UT scored 28 points in something like 10 mins. So even though the defense didn't defend lots of plays it would be the equivalent of them being on the field for 10 straight minutes. All that happened when we were going through our epic coaching induced drought.

6 three and outs will make any defense do the same shit we've been watching for 6 god damn years. They just lost to a bunch of scrubs

I guess it can be argued it got to the defense mentally with what Nusschamp pulled but the fact is they were giving up 3 and 4 play drives for TDs mostly and that is not a fatigue excuse - especially considering all the TV timeout time. That is just very poor defense. Collins seemed to stay in a passive defensive posture also almost the whole 2nd half until they were near the goal line. After a couple of those TD s we probably should have started blitzing more or something.

First half we stopped them what? Three times inside the red zone?
One time they had first and goal at the one and we stopped them. The offense changed in the second half. No deep balls at all The defense feeds of the offense.

Reactions: Volasaurus
I guess it can be argued it got to the defense mentally with what Nusschamp pulled but the fact is they were giving up 3 and 4 play drives for TDs mostly and that is not a fatigue excuse - especially considering all the TV timeout time. That is just very poor defense. Collins seemed to stay in a passive defensive posture also almost the whole 2nd half until they were near the goal line. After a couple of those TD s we probably should have started blitzing more or something.

You also have to look at how fast our offense was coming off the field. Like I mentioned they scored 28 points in a 10 minute timeframe. So let's say for arguments sake those 4 drives only had 4 plays a piece. That's the equivalent of a 16 play, 10 min drive. That's gonna take a toll on a defense. We had six straight 3 and outs and didn't spend too much time on the field any one of those drives.

Now I do think the defense needs to take blame but the plan didn't really change in the second half. In the first half we crowded the line and dared them to throw and we did. E exact same thing in the second half. Only difference between the two halves is our DB's had their heads up their ass in the 2nd half and Tennessee also stopped dropping a bunch of passes. Bottom line though is to start the second half our defense got the offense the ball back over and over and they decided to run, run, run and punt time and time again. If we'd have scored at any time during that drought we put pressure on them and it's likely a different game.

Reactions: Volasaurus
6 three and outs will make any defense do the same shit we've been watching for 6 god damn years. They just lost to a bunch of scrubs

I'm sick dude. These coaches clammed up and threw away the game with a chance to go up in the division early. Nobody to blame but them.

You also have to look at how fast our offense was coming off the field. Like I mentioned they scored 28 points in a 10 minute timeframe. So let's say for arguments sake those 4 drives only had 4 plays a piece. That's the equivalent of a 16 play, 10 min drive. That's gonna take a toll on a defense. We had six straight 3 and outs and didn't spend too much time on the field any one of those drives.

Now I do think the defense needs to take blame but the plan didn't really change in the second half. In the first half we crowded the line and dared them to throw and we did. E exact same thing in the second half. Only difference between the two halves is our DB's had their heads up their ass in the 2nd half and Tennessee also stopped dropping a bunch of passes. Bottom line though is to start the second half our defense got the offense the ball back over and over and they decided to run, run, run and punt time and time again. If we'd have scored at any time during that drought we put pressure on them and it's likely a different game.

I see your points and agree the DBs were the big issue on defense.

The time of possession for both teams was almost identical in both the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. Both quarter TOP for both teams were within seconds of each other. Tiredness is not an excuse.

The time of possession for both teams was almost identical in both the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. Both quarter TOP for both teams were within seconds of each other. Tiredness is not an excuse.

But conditioning is.

You saw the entire UT team sprint from one end of the stadium to the other at the end of the 3rd quarter. Florida players were dragging their arses.

There were at least 6 Florida players who left the game due to leg cramps. Probably more. No UT player left due to cramps.

Your S&C coach should be questioned. Coming from Florida, one wouldn't expect to see so many of your players dropping like they did yesterday.

Yea, our defense was getting a lot of cramps in the second half. Not sure why. Maybe we can blame it on the air conditioned IPF? Is it air conditioned?

lol now there is reaching going on with that topic.. UT is not some tougher or better conditioned team magically after all these years of dominance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT