ADVERTISEMENT

OT- What It Is (90’s G’ville Band) Reunion Show this Saturday- May 13th with Sister Hazel

jamminjethro

Gator Great
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2002
Nashville & Gainesville
Hi all.

@JasonHigdon I hope this is okay, and please delete if not, just wanted to share with any of you nineties Gainesville/UF friends here who might remember our band, What It Is, that we’ll be playing with Sister Hazel this coming Saturday, May 13th for the Wombash (Gainesville 90.1 The Wombat Show Radio’s second anniversary) at Heartwood Soundstage. (Downtown near Cade Museum.)

Most here who know I play drums know me from my almost decade with Tracy Lawrence and some other country artists, but before I “sold out to the (country)Man!” I was in original bands galore based in North Florida- (meaning I was broke, ate lots of ramen and drove around the southeast in a bunch of different Van and trailer rigs playing college clubs in Athens, Columbia, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Greenville, ATL, Cary, NC, Winston Salem etc.):

What It Is of course- moved to SF/Berkeley with them in 1996

Sister Hazel (pre-Mark/gave him the gig when Ken offered it to me, but I was committed to What It Is and being a sideman for The Backstreet Boys)

House of Dreams (Jack Sizemore’s in Jason Aldean’s band these days and Britton and I live a couple miles apart in Kingston Springs and our sons go to middle school together!)

And I played on albums for Chuck Carrier, My Friend Steve, Pat Koch, Amanda Garrigues, Randall Goodgame, Kort McCumber and others so this whole Gainesville Heritage Music deal means a lot to this Ol’ “ACR”/two-time UF Grad. 😅

Anyhow, this will be the original lineup of What It Is in its most active period (94-96, Josh Greenbaum of Big White Undies, was the original drummer before he asked me to take over and I ultimately ended up recording the album “When Groove Was King”) with Jerry Kennedy Lead Vocals/Bass (lives in Berkeley now), Avi Bortnick Guitar (lives in NYC these days) and Russell Tillett (also in the Bay Area of CA) plus a local, hired horn section.

If you are in the Gainesville area or remember the band and aren’t too far away, would love to have any of my Gator brothers out for the Saturday festival/show.

Okay, so ends the shameless self-promotion. Thanks again Jason. Hope this is okay here.

If you want to check out the band’s info www.whatitis.Com and our first album:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News