ADVERTISEMENT

Old coach having lunch with former player

Mackgator

Baby Gator
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2010
Tallahassee
I have posted before that some of my former players have become coaches and administrators in college and the NFL. Each and every one of them made me a better coach and man.

Today I had lunch with one, who has coached at the highest level in college and is currently the chief scout for an NFL team. I will not use his name.

A few titbits from our conversation -

1. He is quite sure AR will declare, and he and I agree he needs more time. Hope he is wrong.
  2. UGA's Jalen Carter is one of many ruined by NIL. Skips practice and meetings, does as he pleases, almost unanimously he said coaches hate the process, but as he said, the toothpaste is out of the tube.
  3. He played linebacker for me and wore #51. I told him there was another #51 dear to my heart. He had been at UF yesterday and agreed that Vernell was quite a player, a little undersized but great attitude and instincts.
  4. Talked how the Portal is going to limit high school player opportunities as team will sign maybe 15 and look to the Portal for others.
  5. Did not realize that the Portal allowed coaches to remove kids a lot easier than prior years. I had a player once that had worn out his welcome and was moved to a bad dorm and basically ignored by staff.
  6. I told him how much I liked Damien Pierce, and he said he had interviewed him at the combine and truly loved the kid.
Go Gators!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.