ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gator-Tide football Gameday Forum

So they Zapruder film that last Harris TD but don’t look at that Pitts score? Or what looked like a score?

The read and react defensive mentality is too passive. Dline stay blocked and every play is on our side of the LOS. No one gets through and makes a play in their backfield.

Reactions: sadgator
Alabama has been the team in the SEC for a dozen years now and their punk ass kids still taunt with the Gator chop after the game

Nice to be in their heads, Gators’ league next year

Trask had a great year, his one flaw was pocket awareness

He was better than Jones, the difference here was Harris and Gator mistakes

Reactions: PacoGator19
How many times did Bama punt?
[/QUOT
It was an attempt to get the ball back. We’d stopped them twice all game. We should have never punted tbh. It’s ridiculous how bad this defense is.

I said a couple weeks ago that in this game we needed to go for it on 4th down outside of FG range no matter the distance and onside kick every time.

Reactions: grommit
It was an attempt to get the ball back. We’d stopped them twice all game. We should have never punted tbh. It’s ridiculous how bad this defense is.
The chances of recovering an obvivious onside are so slim.

If we havent stopped them hardly all night why give them the ball around the 50? I'm sure their playcalling would have been different if they had the ball from the 30 or back but still. The best we would have gotten was a 75 yard drive.

I said a couple weeks ago that in this game we needed to go for it on 4th down outside of FG range no matter the distance and onside kick every time.
Honestly. What's the point of punting against Alabama when they score on almost 90% of their drives? All you do is wear your defense out faster by making them have to drive the entire field for each score, whereas you might get 2 or 3 extra scores by going for it on 4th every chance you take. Now I wouldn't do that inside my own 35 most likely, but 40 to 40? I would be going for it. You're just wearing your defense out and taking more time off the clock because when they DO get it, our defense sure as shit wasn't stopping them.

Still happy enough that we didn't get blown out like 99% of the country expected. This team fought to the final play and had a chance, no matter what anyone said we were in this game the way we fought back in the 3rd quarter. Especially impressive to me as they had double our score at halftime, and EACH and EVERY team they played this year just rolled over and died when they got down by more than a score. Except us.

Honestly. What's the point of punting against Alabama when they score on almost 90% of their drives? All you do is wear your defense out faster by making them have to drive the entire field for each score, whereas you might get 2 or 3 extra scores by going for it on 4th every chance you take. Now I wouldn't do that inside my own 35 most likely, but 40 to 40? I would be going for it. You're just wearing your defense out and taking more time off the clock because when they DO get it, our defense sure as shit wasn't stopping them.

Still happy enough that we didn't get blown out like 99% of the country expected. This team fought to the final play and had a chance, no matter what anyone said we were in this game the way we fought back in the 3rd quarter. Especially impressive to me as they had double our score at halftime, and EACH and EVERY team they played this year just rolled over and died when they got down by more than a score. Except us.
We only punted twice. It wasnt anything excessive. I cant remember but I believe the punts were on 10 or more yards to go.

We lost by 6. That quick score before the half came back to haunt them.

I mean would you agree to onside kick every time then to not tire out the defense? Majority of the time its a 75 yard drive.

I mean would you agree to onside kick every time then to not tire out the defense? Majority of the time its a 75 yard drive.
No because onside kicks are successful less than 5% of the attempts whereas making a first down on 4th down is FAR better odds. Do you go for it on 4th and 16? Probably punt. But if it's 4th and 5 or less, WHY would you punt to Alabama?

Don't forget that high school coach that has never punted in a single game and he's proven statistically that you win more by going for it on 4th down each and every time instead of punting. I am sorry that I forget his name or the team.

I'd say you have a 1 in 4 chance of picking up an onside kick if it's not expected. Probably less than 1 in 20 when expected. And at least for the first half I would have onsided and not punted. I mean, why not? You knew they were going to score on pretty much every drive, and they actually did get a touchdown on every drive. But of course, eventually, they would send out the hands team, and that's when you squib it and tell your kickoff team to obliterate their hands team on the way down the field. Heck, I might send out the regular kickoff team and run the onside, and when you see the hands team out there tell them to just beat the hell out of the hands team, make them afraid to go after the ball.

The team fought hard and made a game out of it. Yes the defense was problematic this year but it was a good season. Mullen is doing a good job and we beat UGA this year and would have killed FSU. All things considered I’ll take it.

No because onside kicks are successful less than 5% of the attempts whereas making a first down on 4th down is FAR better odds. Do you go for it on 4th and 16? Probably punt. But if it's 4th and 5 or less, WHY would you punt to Alabama?

Don't forget that high school coach that has never punted in a single game and he's proven statistically that you win more by going for it on 4th down each and every time instead of punting. I am sorry that I forget his name or the team.
Kevin Kelley from Pulaski Academy in AR.

He onsides every time as well.

Last edited:
The team fought hard and made a game out of it. Yes the defense was problematic this year but it was a good season. Mullen is doing a good job and we beat UGA this year and would have killed FSU. All things considered I’ll take it.

Yep Mullen really took advantage of what he had on offense and didn't stubbornly try to stick to his preferred type of run/pass ratio this season.

Quick observations...

1. The 2 point call was wildly weird, but it damn near worked. Mullen is a bit unorthodox, but in the best ways. He has gigantic balls and plays to win. Love the fact that he is on our sideline.

2. The clock management thing at the end of the first half was a shame, but at the same time, if you milk it down and don’t get in, everybody’d be screaming about that.

3. sadgator can’t remember a game where we dropped so many loose balls on the ground...and it seemed like Bama was first to get to every one of them...

4. Say what you want about Grantham...we do not have a killer-type enforcer bad ass on D. They were extremely passive...and we gotta find “that” guy who strikes fear in hearts and leads...not sure who it is gonna be...

5. We beat UGA...don’t anyone take that for granted...pretty good year...entertaining, if nothing else.

Quick observations...

1. The 2 point call was wildly weird, but it damn near worked. Mullen is a bit unorthodox, but in the best ways. He has gigantic balls and plays to win. Love the fact that he is on our sideline.

2. The clock management thing at the end of the first half was a shame, but at the same time, if you milk it down and don’t get in, everybody’d be screaming about that.

3. sadgator can’t remember a game where we dropped so many loose balls on the ground...and it seemed like Bama was first to get to every one of them...

4. Say what you want about Grantham...we do not have a killer-type enforcer bad ass on D. They were extremely passive...and we gotta find “that” guy who strikes fear in hearts and leads...not sure who it is gonna be...

5. We beat UGA...don’t anyone take that for granted...pretty good year...entertaining, if nothing else.

On # 2 not having him wait until the play clock was near zero was what was bad with how quick Bama can score. No big deal if you score on the first play as you have to take it when you can. Mullen just slipped up and wasn't thinking about that at the time.

Quick observations...

#2. It wasn't 4th and goal. It was 1st and goal. Run the play clock down as far as possible. If you dont score the TD you score the FG. This gives them less time to put together a drive. We get the ball back 2nd half.

#2. It wasn't 4th and goal. It was 1st and goal. Run the play clock down as far as possible. If you dont score the TD you score the FG. This gives them less time to put together a drive. We get the ball back 2nd half.

The clock was running, we could have shaved another 20 seconds off the clock. But, we don't know that Trask didn't pull the trigger earlier than Mullen wanted. He's not going to come out and blame the QB. And he called the QB dive play. I was surprised it got us in the end zone, might have surprised him as well. He might have wanted to have second and very short with a running clock and 30 seconds to go, and it just didn't work out that way.

Also, you need to take a TD when you can. My youngest watched the game with me, and he is only now becoming a CFB fan, in the second half, when Trask got stopped on the one inch line, he said "no big deal, we will just score on the next play" and I told him, "Oh no, shit happens, you have to get that ball in, you can't trust the next play." And what did we do? Fumble on the next play. Luckily Bama was offsides. So he learned a lesson without it costing anything, best kind of lesson.

Just think about this season in that perspective. Yes the ridiculous losses to lesser teams are painful right now, as is coming up short against Alabama, but the reality is, we beat Georgia, Tennessee, and would have nearly been assured a victory over FSU. Those are the big 3 here at Florida and we got them all for the first time in years, or would have short of COVID19.

I really don’t know why some thought you guys would get blown out (including a lot of UF fans). While I didn’t expect you to win, I thought you’d score enough to keep it fairly close - your offense is outstanding. It is probably the best in the country - including Bama and Clemson.

Grantham is the reason why I have only watched about 3 games this year. I seen this coming last year. He's not a good DC. Charlie Strong was way better than this guy any day of the week. Oh well another year down the drain..Offense was on par but if your defense isn't there you wont go nowhere. Its defenses that wins games. Appears most have forgotten this very important aspect.
Your loss. You missed a fun season.

Reactions: PacoGator19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT