ADVERTISEMENT

Offense feeling circa Muschamp and McElwain but..

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
Just butt ugly out there today but, does Franks performance really surprise anyone? Two things he has proven the past 1+ year and that is that he is not very accurate throwing for just over 50% completions ( Almost ALL Power 5 schools that are successful complete over 60% these days ) and his decision making is at best POOR. I think Mullen needs his time to get his recruits and system in place but, today definitely felt like some of the games of his 2 predecessors. Again, Sadly it was butt UGLY.

And what is with our Defense? After M.S.U. and LSU I thought we had turned the page and gotten past the Kentucky game but, you know the ole Swiss Cheese saying. We have gone from feeling like we are already back to prominence after the L.S.U. game, to reality last week to back in the shitter after today’s POCrap game.

So, we beat Idaho and anything from 2-0 to 1-1 to 0-2 against the Cocks and Noles wouldn’t surprise me.

Just butt ugly out there today but, does Franks performance really surprise anyone? Two things he has proven the past 1+ year and that is that he is not very accurate throwing for just over 50% completions ( Almost ALL Power 5 schools that are successful complete over 60% these days ) and his decision making is at best POOR. I think Mullen needs his time to get his recruits and system in place but, today definitely felt like some of the games of his 2 predecessors. Again, Sadly it was butt UGLY.

And what is with our Defense? After M.S.U. and LSU I thought we had turned the page and gotten past the Kentucky game but, you know the ole Swiss Cheese saying. We have gone from feeling like we are already back to prominence after the L.S.U. game, to reality last week to back in the shitter after today’s POCrap game.

So, we beat Idaho and anything from 2-0 to 1-1 to 0-2 against the Cocks and Noles wouldn’t surprise me.

The defense isn't good but a competent QB makes this game a different story. You can't dig yourself in a hole with Franks running the offense. That's a recipe for disaster.He's back in 2017 form, and has been exposed no matter how well Mullen disguised him previous to the previous two games.Give Trask and the new guy a chance, and we have a shot of winning out.

One thing that makes me smile, is wringing my hands waiting on UGA getting ass raped in the Georgia Dome. :)

I am wondering where the spread option plays are? All I see is one back handoffs w no lead
Fullback blocker. These are the same plays we ran under mcelwain and I am not seeing the dan Mullen spread option plays I thought we’d see.

I am wondering where the spread option plays are? All I see is one back handoffs w no lead
Fullback blocker. These are the same plays we ran under mcelwain and I am not seeing the dan Mullen spread option plays I thought we’d see.
Huh? He’s running as much as his system as he is able to run with the QB that he has at his disposal. Are you wanting or looking for a FB lead blocker? I’m confused. Since when did the spread option have a fullback?

The offense isn’t remotely similar scheme wise to McElwain’s.

Huh? He’s running as much as his system as he is able to run with the QB that he has at his disposal. Are you wanting or looking for a FB lead blocker? I’m confused. Since when did the spread option have a fullback?

Wasn't Billy Latsko a FB under Mullen/Meyer?

Wasn't Billy Latsko a FB under Mullen/Meyer?
Yes. They used him for 1 year when they made the adjustment during the bye week and realized it really wasn’t working with Leak. It looks like we are doing something similar but Franks is much worse than Leak.

A traditonal spread option offense doesn’t really use a FB at all. That was the only time under Meyer/Mullen that we used a FB

Yes. They used him for 1 year when they made the adjustment during the bye week and realized it really wasn’t working with Leak. It looks like we are doing something similar but Franks is much worse than Leak.

A traditonal spread option offense doesn’t really use a FB at all. That was the only time under Meyer/Mullen that we used a FB
I was in no means promoting the use of a FB in the spread but was just remembering Latsko in the offense.

What you’re seeing is Franks predetermines his read on the options. He gives even when the end crashes. You also see it on the speed options where he pitches to the back even when the defender immediately runs to the back meaning he should keep and run for big yardage. He doesn’t have any interest in running the ball.

What you’re seeing is Franks predetermines his read on the options. He gives even when the end crashes. You also see it on the speed options where he pitches to the back even when the defender immediately runs to the back meaning he should keep and run for big yardage. He doesn’t have any interest in running the ball.

But sometimes he keeps and it doesn't look like he's going to do anything but keep either. I wonder if Mullen tells him what to do in advance, because, maybe he doesn't trust him to make the decision? Just a thought.

This. He has no interests whatsoever in running the ball. There are many times he could keep it and make some good yardage even as bad as a runner as he is but he just has no interest whatsoever.

It should not have taken 3 losses for a change to happen... o_O

Franks 9 of 22 (40.9%) for 84 yds, 3.8 yds/att, 9.3 yds/comp, L-27, 0 TD's, 0 Int's

(1st string prep all week/season, the season starter)
Another season wasted on Gator QB ineptitude...

Trask 10 of 18 (55.6%) for 126 yds, 7.0 yds/att, 12.6 yds/comp, L-45, 1 TD, 0 Int's.

(cold off the bench where he's been kept since a few plays in the CharSo game)

Maybe Mullen has finally realized what a few of us have known since 2016...
Franks is a 50/50 QB that is not a consistent, dependable, long term quality SEC starter.

Those (80,000) in attendance seemed to express more confidence in Trask, despite the result all but confirmed in the 4th quarter. Franks, who had been booed for much of the contest after completing just 4 of his first 14 passes, watched as Trask completed 4 of his first 5 passing attempts (coming in cold off the bench). Trask’s first drive ended in a seven-yard touchdown pass to Josh Hammond — UF’s lone passing touchdown of the afternoon.

Post Game: "You know, we'll see how they perform this week and if there's a drastic change, we'll make a change. And if not, we'll play with who's going to give us the best chance to win (lose again)."

iG -- Dan, you gotta be chittin's me (us), if you continue with Franks as the starter.
Continue to start Franks, and watch game attendance continue to sink faster than a rock thrown in Lake Alice...

QB Season Passing Stats:

Franks - 125 of 225, 55.56%, 1,595 yds, 7.01 yds/att, 16 TD's, 6 Ints, QBR 133.24

(given every time/coaching starter advantage, so Dan, Wake-TF-UP)

Trask - 14 of 22, 63.64%, 162 yds, 7.36 yds/att, 1 TD, 0 Int, QBR 140.49

(sharing backup time/coaching with Jones)

:)cool: risk the horse's head Dan,,, and you should be pulling at the front of that off-season rope with the team while running the stadium, not being dragged along at the end of the rope, or sitting somewhere watching) o_O

You been watching Francois ? He does exactly this.

8780136.jpg

Fans most favorite player on a team that is struggling is the back-up QB. I'm ready to see what Trask can do in a starting role myself, but I still trust Dan Mullen for the long haul. Most of us thought a 7-9 win season was where we would fall, but expectations got raised after LSU and then the Vandy comeback. Georgia and Missouri have brought us back to reality. Getting this program back to championship caliber is a process that requires patience, something Gator fans have always lacked. Hang in there people.

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Watch any and all spread option teams every week and they will have a fullback, an H back that lines up as a wing or a fullback a good % of the time. Urban realized this after a 31-3 loss to Bama and made the change and the rest in history.

ocala, I said 6-8 wins if Franks was the starter, and 8-10 wins if it was Trask. jus-sayin... :cool:

Watch any and all spread option teams every week and they will have a fullback, an H back that lines up as a wing or a fullback a good % of the time. Urban realized this after a 31-3 loss to Bama and made the change and the rest in history.

Raymonds best use has not been at TE, but at FB. He caught his TD from the FB position and he's a decent lead blocker from the FB spot. I've been suggesting a FB since the beginning of the season, but they have not used Raymond at FB enough imoho.

Hmmm no he didn’t. We used a FB once and that was Latsko. What are you talking about? Ohio State doesn’t use a FB now either and neither has Mullen ever used one.

You guys are both right, it's just all terminology. Mullen nor Meyer uses a traditional fullback, meaning someone who is there to create creases in the run game and plow linebackers. They both have used an H-back though, which is just a move TE. And sometimes they have FB responsibilities when we motion them into the backfield. We've done that some this year with Stephens and that's how we used Hernandez too.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Hmmm no he didn’t. We used a FB once and that was Latsko. What are you talking about? Ohio State doesn’t use a FB now either and neither has Mullen ever used one.
WRONG.
Mullen has used Raymond at FB several times this season... o_O

You guys are both right, it's just all terminology. Mullen nor Meyer uses a traditional fullback, meaning someone who is there to create creases in the run game and plow linebackers. They both have used an H-back though, which is just a move TE. And sometimes they have FB responsibilities when we motion them into the backfield. We've done that some this year with Stephens and that's how we used Hernandez too.
Yes Agreed but not a traditional FB. Ahern did a lot of Hback burt he very rarely was ever in the backfield

Let me ask you this. How many FBs have Meyer and or Mullen ever recruited? ZERO!!

Those are H-Backs not FBs. There is a difference.

Again how many FBs has Meyer or Mullen ever recruited?

A fullback/H back to me is the same. They pull on counter F and fold in and lead on Iso and they kick out ends on power..that is a fullback.

West Virginia in the diamond set aren't those fullbacks aligned off the side of the QB? with a TB in the pistol?

West Virginia in the diamond set aren't those fullbacks aligned off the side of the QB? with a TB in the pistol?
osu-tight-zone-wham.jpg
yes this is an H back or a Tight end aligned as an H or U as some would label that player..but he still lead blocks like a fullback.

I would agree Mullen & Meyer use H-backs in their spread option but not a FB. I believe their is a difference between the 2.

Let me ask you this. How many FBs have Meyer and or Mullen ever recruited? ZERO!!

Yep once Tebow took over the FB wasn't used much at all. Maybe in 07 we used that FB (can't remember his name now) that was still on the roster some but it was very little.

you missed my entire point. We aren’t running a true spread option right now.

This I will agree 100% with you on. We are not running the spread option at all. Zero misdirection, zero read plays, and I see very few true second level RPO's being run. Against Mizzou they ran zone one way and threw the quick out into the boundary..that's about the only second level RPO I have seen.

Throwing the keys (bubble or now screens) are not downfield RPOs and very easy for a junior high team to run.

We are running one man running plays (that look a lot like Mcelwain plays) that are very easy for a linebacker to read and stuff, unless you are Vosean Joseph. The RB aligns on one side and gets the ball going to the other side or from pistol and runs one way.

I would agree Mullen & Meyer use H-backs in their spread option but not a FB. I believe their is a difference between the 2.

Again, we just see a FB and an H back different, but their blocking assignments are the same on base run plays run by any and every offense.

Good stuff, Stephen Orr. Very interesting. Very creative sets from Holgerson. Sweep with the fullback (looked like a motioned slot receiver) with the tailback blocking. Awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT