ADVERTISEMENT

Now wait just a New York minute...

Kinda cool, dude is living the dream. When you got cash and don't really need to do anything why not?

The Wilpon's are making a money grab attempt here. Sell some minor league tickets, jersey's and adios. I am a fan of Tim's but this reeks of publicity stunt by the Mets.

The Wilpon's are making a money grab attempt here. Sell some minor league tickets, jersey's and adios. I am a fan of Tim's but this reeks of publicity stunt by the Mets.

This is what we call a blinding glimpse of the obvious. The whole thing is a publicity stunt, initiated by Tebow and CAA. Mets sell some spring training and minor league tickets, Tebow keeps his name on ESPN and sells some Adidas gear. Everybody makes out. It's surprising to me that Tebow would rather play minor league baseball than football in Canada, but more power to him. If he were ever to take an MLB at bat, it would be a truly great sports story, and I will be rooting for him.

"The Wilpon's are making a money grab attempt here. Sell some minor league tickets, jersey's and adios. I am a fan of Tim's but this reeks of publicity stunt by the Mets."

A company trying to make money?! GTFO:eek::rolleyes:

A company trying to make money that got burned in the Madoff scam. They are not held in high regard with too many Met fans. They are cheap considering the market they own a team in and the Tebow move is a pennies kind of deal when they need to either sell or be figuring out ways to make dollar deals.

When Madoff went bust, the Mets’ ownership had, according to their eventual settlement, approximately $500 million invested in Madoff accounts. The Wilpons also had used that money as collateral for other loans. The collateral going bust resulted in ownership having to borrow an additional $430 million against the team (now down to $250 million), and $450 million against SNY (now up to over $600 million). Financing these debts, as well as the $43 million annual payment on Citi Field, costs the Mets over $100 million each year, before any of the principal is paid down.

Idk how much of a money grab this could be. Who is gonna be lining up at 1A stadiums to see Tebow hit against nobodies? I don't see anybody lining up to buy his jersey either when he might not even be on a team for any length of time. Those minor league stadiums might hold 5k people, there's no money to be made off those games.

Like I said before. I like Tim. My buddy was the GM of the Bronco's when they drafted him. I'm just a little disappointed that the Mets, who are in the middle of a wildcard race, are in constant gimmick mode.

At the very least, the Mets get some fun publicity from this when he suits up in spring training. Also, whichever minor league affiliate ends up hosting him will be very appreciative of the attention, I'm sure. It's a nice bone to throw to a disgruntled or dissatisfied affiliate. Tebow himself stands to gain selling a ton of memorabilia and media moments. So, speaking from a public relations point of view, this makes total sense. I mean, why not? He's a nice, positive, confident person with a huge following. It can't hurt.

That said, from a baseball perspective, the odds of him improving and getting to the Mets (or, at least helping the Mets) seem very small.

Well yea I can see the publicity part, at least for a short time. Not seeing the money angle though. People just aren't gonna care about going to 1A baseball games and if they did those venues won't generate any kind of big money. If he doesn't crush it from jump the publicity goes away quickly imo.

I will say this. If he ever makes it to the Majors and that is a very big if he will instantly probably be in the top 3 in the league in jersey selling revenue.

Like I said before. I like Tim. My buddy was the GM of the Bronco's when they drafted him. I'm just a little disappointed that the Mets, who are in the middle of a wildcard race, are in constant gimmick mode.

At the very least, the Mets get some fun publicity from this when he suits up in spring training. Also, whichever minor league affiliate ends up hosting him will be very appreciative of the attention, I'm sure. It's a nice bone to throw to a disgruntled or dissatisfied affiliate. Tebow himself stands to gain selling a ton of memorabilia and media moments. So, speaking from a public relations point of view, this makes total sense. I mean, why not? He's a nice, positive, confident person with a huge following. It can't hurt.

That said, from a baseball perspective, the odds of him improving and getting to the Mets (or, at least helping the Mets) seem very small.

Also, CAA represents Tebow and Cespedes. If the only reason for doing this is to grease the skids a little bit with Cespedes' agent before contract negotiations this winter, it's worth it. It's not costing the Mets anything. Tebow's salary will be a pittance.

If Ces opts out (fairly certain he will) and the Mets don't pony up I will puke.

Do the Mets even own the minor league teams? I know they assign the players etc. but I thought I heard a lot of minor league teams had independent owners from the Major League teams. It may depend on which league it is however.

There are affiliated teams(mlb) and independent teams. Affiliated basically gets players for free and cover everything else. Independent is on the hook for everything if I am not mistaken?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT