ADVERTISEMENT

Not an insider, but...

cmgator

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2002
I have been posting and reading on here for a while and am not an insider by any means, but I have a buddy who does get some inside scoop occasionally. We played golf together this weekend and he shared two nuggets with me.

1. Recruiting momentum is about to change for the better. I think he expects we will get that defender whose name starts with Dia???
2. Secondly, and much more important, he said that he heard Mullen is very excited about this team and believes we will surprise a lot of people this year.

The second point gets me excited about the year primarily because Mullen knows what is needed to compete in this conference. He can easily compare what he had last year talent wise and look at this squad to compare what can be done in our conference.

I am of the group that feels we can be much better than last year based on the following:
1. Overall, the entire team is much stronger and physically ready to play at a much higher level than last year.
2. We have added a ton of talent to the offense compared to last year in Scarlett, Grimes and Jefferson.
3. While the QB's may not be top shelf at this point in time, this is Mullens' specialty and I think he will scheme around their talents to score points and extend drives.
4. Our OL may not have done well last year, but another year older, being stronger and having one of the top OL coaches in the country has to make them better.
5. Our defense was SO YOUNG last year. These guys are going to be good and a year of experience can only help at LB, CB and DL.
6. Grantham is a great coach and has shown a major improvement in the first year at every program and has gone to. If he shows that here then we will be a very good defense.

OK, those are things we can control. I am not saying we will win the SEC or NC. My optimistic side says we will not lose more than 2 regular season games. I know that is a stretch and injuries could change that, but georgia and fsu are the only two schools with much better talent. I am hoping we can outcoach willie and get lucky versus georgia. My pragmatic side says we lose 3 during the season because either mizzou, usc or msu gets us. Bottom line, even if we lose 3 during the regular season, but we are competitive in every game and show some offensive progress, I will be happy in that we are on our way back.

Can't wait for the season to start. Go Gators!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News