ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA approves changes in Football time Line; Teams can Start Working July 13th

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
According to Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel, the NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to approve voluntary athletic activities in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball on June 1 through June 30.

I don't know if they will increase the number of fall practice sessions or what else will follow.

No organized practices & Nick Savage will have to be extremely cautious about injuries, but this is the start to football & basketball season.

Thank goodness !

Reactions: GatorNation79
Florida football players were first allowed to return to campus on May 26, with players returning subject to tests for COVID-19 and a full physical to make sure that any return to campus is a safe one.

But while some players have returned, others have not.
The Gators can begin voluntary athletics activities on Monday, and by the sound of it, the word voluntary really means voluntary at this point in time. Florida isn't forcing anyone back in the middle of a global pandemic if they're not comfortable with it.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...s-as-some-players-return-to-campus-147808035/

You would be surprised at how many employees are freaking out about having to go back to work in the coming 2 weeks. They refuse to accept that half of their department (us) have never worked a single day from home so far and none of us have gotten sick. These buttclowns just want to stay at home in bed with their laptop all day and get paid for it. They are literally trying to convince the CIO of the university that this works and there's no reason for them to come back to the office at all because their work still gets done. Theoretically as they have shit managers.

They couldn't care less about Covid-19 as far as I'm concerned, just a whole mass of people earning 6 figures that want an easy pass to "work" from the comfort of their bed. CIO flat out told them yesterday that it would be very simple for the university to just offshore their jobs to Indian coders.

I will give UF this, they have this testing thing down pat. You don't even get out of your car for their setup, it's like a drive thru. Although all of the testing is a total scam as it only really says you do or do not have the antibodies at that one particular point in time. You could just as easily get infected that afternoon.

You would be surprised at how many employees are freaking out about having to go back to work in the coming 2 weeks. They refuse to accept that half of their department (us) have never worked a single day from home so far and none of us have gotten sick. These buttclowns just want to stay at home in bed with their laptop all day and get paid for it. They are literally trying to convince the CIO of the university that this works and there's no reason for them to come back to the office at all because their work still gets done. Theoretically as they have shit managers.

They couldn't care less about Covid-19 as far as I'm concerned, just a whole mass of people earning 6 figures that want an easy pass to "work" from the comfort of their bed. CIO flat out told them yesterday that it would be very simple for the university to just offshore their jobs to Indian coders.

I will give UF this, they have this testing thing down pat. You don't even get out of your car for their setup, it's like a drive thru. Although all of the testing is a total scam as it only really says you do or do not have the antibodies at that one particular point in time. You could just as easily get infected that afternoon.
This whole thing is retarded, over blown....we need to live our lives and forget this crap. I'm finished wearing a mask and that crap.

Although all of the testing is a total scam as it only really says you do or do not have the antibodies at that one particular point in time. You could just as easily get infected that afternoon.

Well, yes and no. Antibodies are permanent, once your body learns how to make them it can always make more. That's how vaccines work, getting your body to make the antibodies so that you always have the protection.

Having said that, if there are multiple strains of Covid, you might not have antibodies against all of them and still be vulnerable.

Gators' first game is Labor day weekend, Sept 5th against Eastern Washington.

Revenue from football is the cash cow which funds all of college athletics. NCAA smart enough to level the playing field and to help make up for the loss of Spring Practice & help get players in football shape to reduce injuries.

IMO, all teams will be adequately prepared for the start of the season - "missing practice time" will not give UF an edge over UGA or any other team and there will not be an asterisk for this year's National Title.

"...The NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee has prepared a four-phase plan for the season that includes a six-week period of mandatory workouts that include walk-throughs in July and preseason camp beginning in early August

Teams with seasons starting Labor Day Weekend can begin working with their players in person as early as July 13, at least 25 days before the first permissible preseason practice date"

247sports.com/college/florida/Article/NCAA-set-to-approve-6-week-calendar-for-ramp-up-to-college-football-season-147982508/

I doubt that this is the final format, more changes sure to follow, but this seems to assure us that we will have a competitive football season.

"...First off the numbers. The NCAA is allowing plenty of time to get a lot of the mental reps in and workouts so that the players can be physically ready to compete in the fall. Athletes were allowed to return to campus on June 1 and at Florida and the SEC they could start weight room workouts on June 8. New freshmen are due in on July 1 and in mid-July they all start mandatory workouts and then they don’t really get on the football field until July 24.

• Voluntary workouts: June 1-25 (virtual instruction 8 hours per week)
  • Mandatory workouts: July 13, 25 days before first permissible preseason practice date
  • Walk-throughs and meetings: July 24, 14 days before first preseason practice date (8 hours weight training, 6 hours walk-through with football, 6 hours for meetings)
  • Preseason practices: Aug. 7, 29 days before first game (20 hours per week)
That is two weeks earlier than normal for anyone that plays the first game on the weekend of Sept. 5. The real difference in this first date is that teams are only allowed on-field practice with a football for six hours in each of the two weeks. That’s about three practices in each week or six total."

https://247sports.com/college/flori...-the-most-by-missing-practice-time-147997501/

Last edited:
Gators' first game is Labor day weekend, Sept 5th against Eastern Washington.

Revenue from football is the cash cow which funds all of college athletics. NCAA smart enough to level the playing field and to help make up for the loss of Spring Practice & help get players in football shape to reduce injuries.

IMO, all teams will be adequately prepared for the start of the season - "missing practice time" will not give UF an edge over UGA or any other team and there will not be an asterisk for this year's National Title.

"...The NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee has prepared a four-phase plan for the season that includes a six-week period of mandatory workouts that include walk-throughs in July and preseason camp beginning in early August

Teams with seasons starting Labor Day Weekend can begin working with their players in person as early as July 13, at least 25 days before the first permissible preseason practice date"

247sports.com/college/florida/Article/NCAA-set-to-approve-6-week-calendar-for-ramp-up-to-college-football-season-147982508/

I doubt that this is the final format, more changes sure to follow, but this seems to assure us that we will have a competitive football season.

"...First off the numbers. The NCAA is allowing plenty of time to get a lot of the mental reps in and workouts so that the players can be physically ready to compete in the fall. Athletes were allowed to return to campus on June 1 and at Florida and the SEC they could start weight room workouts on June 8. New freshmen are due in on July 1 and in mid-July they all start mandatory workouts and then they don’t really get on the football field until July 24.

• Voluntary workouts: June 1-25 (virtual instruction 8 hours per week)
  • Mandatory workouts: July 13, 25 days before first permissible preseason practice date
  • Walk-throughs and meetings: July 24, 14 days before first preseason practice date (8 hours weight training, 6 hours walk-through with football, 6 hours for meetings)
  • Preseason practices: Aug. 7, 29 days before first game (20 hours per week)
That is two weeks earlier than normal for anyone that plays the first game on the weekend of Sept. 5. The real difference in this first date is that teams are only allowed on-field practice with a football for six hours in each of the two weeks. That’s about three practices in each week or six total."

https://247sports.com/college/flori...-the-most-by-missing-practice-time-147997501/

Well, Jeff, I disagree with you, in part.

Georgia and Florida State WILL be at a disadvantage. See, Spring practice would have allowed them to work as a unit to install the offense (and FSU also the defense), then they would have had the rest of the offseason to look at the tape of Spring practice as a teaching tool. They don't have that. Plus, sometimes it take a little time to let things sink in. Having a crash course just before the season will result in disarray in the beginning of the season. Also, Georgia has the double issue of not having the QB be able to work in the spring and summer offseason throwing to the WR's to get the timing down. And the OL wasn't able to get together and work on their timing either. So the two groups that most need to be cohesive had no chance to work on cohesion. Combine this with not really grasping the offense and UGa is going to be a dumpster fire on offense for a while.

Having said that, we play both UGa and FSU later in the year. I AGREE that by the time we get to the game we won't have much if any advantage due to the offseason issues. But both teams, particularly Georgia, are going to struggle mightily the first part of the season. The Dawgs are lucky in that they have 4 bottom feeders in their first seven, but unlucky that they have two top-15 teams in Auburn and Bama. I see them going 4-2 in those games. I know they think they will beat Auburn, but I seriously doubt it. The only real question mark game is Virginia. If they had South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky in the first part of the year, instead of Vandy and Missouri, they could have had 3 or 4 losses coming into the UF game. But for us we are game 8, after a bye, so they should have it pretty much worked out by then.

FSU, of course, is game 12. If they haven't worked it out by that point they aren't going to.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

Georgia and Florida State WILL be at a disadvantage. See, Spring practice would have allowed them to work as a unit to install the offense (and FSU also the defense), then they would have had the rest of the offseason to look at the tape of Spring practice as a teaching tool. They don't have that. Plus, sometimes it take a little time to let things sink in. Having a crash course just before the season will result in disarray in the beginning of the season. Also, Georgia has the double issue of not having the QB be able to work in the spring and summer offseason throwing to the WR's to get the timing down. And the OL wasn't able to get together and work on their timing either. So the two groups that most need to be cohesive had no chance to work on cohesion. Combine this with not really grasping the offense and UGa is going to be a dumpster fire on offense for a while.

Having said that, we play both UGa and FSU later in the year. I AGREE that by the time we get to the game we won't have much if any advantage due to the offseason issues. But both teams, particularly Georgia, are going to struggle mightily the first part of the season. The Dawgs are lucky in that they have 4 bottom feeders in their first seven, but unlucky that they have two top-15 teams in Auburn and Bama. I see them going 4-2 in those games. I know they think they will beat Auburn, but I seriously doubt it. The only real question mark game is Virginia. If they had South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky in the first part of the year, instead of Vandy and Missouri, they could have had 3 or 4 losses coming into the UF game. But for us we are game 8, after a bye, so they should have it pretty much worked out by then.

FSU, of course, is game 12. If they haven't worked it out by that point they aren't going to.
I agree with all your points. However, I don’t think Auburn will beat UGA. Malzahn is just an average coach. The team isn’t talented enough to overcome his shortcomings.

Georgia and Florida State WILL be at a disadvantage.

Having said that, we play both UGa and FSU later in the year. I AGREE that by the time we get to the game we won't have much if any advantage due to the offseason issues.

But for us we are game 8, after a bye, so they should have it pretty much worked out by then.

LG89,

Your thoughts cohesive & well thought out !

An absolute joy to once again have knowledgeable discussions about FOOTBALL & know that we will have a season !

I imagine the athletes in all sports are as anxious to get back to team workouts and playing games as the fans are to watching the games. I have no doubt fall football will be played and televised. It will be interesting to see how they handle fans in the stands and if there are differences between sections of the country and/or conferences about how attendance is managed. Gators have the potential to have a very big year.

We'll stomp FSU and we're taking UGA down this year...IMO....UGA is a good team with tons of talent, we'll see how we play them. UK might be pretty good and SCjr will play us tough but I think we beat them easy.

I agree with all your points. However, I don’t think Auburn will beat UGA. Malzahn is just an average coach. The team isn’t talented enough to overcome his shortcomings.

Well, he beats Alabama. More than Shart can accomplish.

"...The return of college football season officially took a giant step forward on Thursday.

The NCAA Football Oversight Committee passed a recommendation that coaches can begin formally working with their teams on July 13, sources told Yahoo Sports. The committee essentially laid out the practice guidelines to allow players to return safely prior to the traditional four-week football training camp.

The committee’s recommendation still needs to be approved by the NCAA Division I Council, but that step is expected to be a formality. The NCAA Division I Council meets next week and will vote on this on June 17."

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...ith-oversight-committee-ruling-213307635.html

Does anyone else find it strange that the Division I Football Oversight Committee has three members from the State of Alabama ?

Greg Byrne
University of Alabama

Frank Messina
University of Alabama at Birmingham

Jennifer Williams
Alabama State University

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1FBOVERSIGHT

"...The return of college football season officially took a giant step forward on Thursday.

The NCAA Football Oversight Committee passed a recommendation that coaches can begin formally working with their teams on July 13, sources told Yahoo Sports. The committee essentially laid out the practice guidelines to allow players to return safely prior to the traditional four-week football training camp.

The committee’s recommendation still needs to be approved by the NCAA Division I Council, but that step is expected to be a formality. The NCAA Division I Council meets next week and will vote on this on June 17."

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...ith-oversight-committee-ruling-213307635.html

Does anyone else find it strange that the Division I Football Oversight Committee has three members from the State of Alabama ?

Greg Byrne
University of Alabama

Frank Messina
University of Alabama at Birmingham

Jennifer Williams
Alabama State University

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1FBOVERSIGHT

Bama buys more than players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT