ADVERTISEMENT

Football My take

matte1782

Chomp Artist
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2017
I have been a Napier supporter. I love the guy, think he's a great guy who believes in the right things. Think he works really hard. I so want this to work. The 1st two seasons, it didn't, but there were legitimate reasons (reasons not excuses) to explain why it it didn't work. This is year 3 though, it has to look different and after 1 game it didn't look any better. It just has too. For the 1st time in the Napier tenure, I no longer believe he's the guy to right the ship. It can't continue to look like this and think we have the right guy. It's Year 3, it has to be better. I think everyone, including Napier knows that.

I have no reason to believe it's going to be better after what I watched today, but I sure as hell hope I'm wrong and it gets better.

Reason for hope.

1. I thought outside of busted coverages and roughing the passer, the defense look much improved. Pup played a good game. Thought they held up in the run fits.

2. Tre is Tre, obvious he is a problem for defenses, but we have to figure our a way to get him in space more often.

3. I thought the line pass blocked well in the 1st half when the game was still competive.

4. I thought DJ looked good considering what it was, a True Freshman coming in in Garbage time.

4. Special teams looked fine.

Now, the negatives.

1. Mertz did not look good. Held the ball too long, and was not accurate down field.
2. Was not a fan of the play calling, but a little hard to evaluate it, as I think Mertz poor play really impacted the flow of the offense, and thus the ability to find rythem as a play caller.
3. Defense still appeared lost at times, blown coverages, failing to keep containment, etc.
4. We got absolutely no push up front.

5., and I think this is the most concerning, we just did not look in sync or prepared.

I don't know how we fix this, I have zero confidence they do fix it, but I sure hope they do. I love the Gators and really like Napier, I hope he's able to make this work over the next 11 games. Please prove me wrong Gators, please!!!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.