ADVERTISEMENT

Michi Post-NSD Commentary

Michi-Gator

Bull Gator
Dec 8, 2010
Ludington, MI
Note: I have used 247 Composite rankings the whole time and those are the numbers I use here too

All things eventually come down to on-field performance but recruiting is a big piece of that.

Mac deserves a ton of credit as we moved from #31 to #10 in a little over a week being two coaches down. Thats impressive.

I think more than anything this is the class that, outside of QB, finally 'fixed' our roster. Now sure, next year TE and OL and WR will need to be addressed but we no longer have any positions where a 'miss' makes it so we can't field a two deep. Tough job but in just 3 classes he fixed a roster which was broken, depth wise, at LB, QB, RB, WR and most notably OL.

In looking at the classes in front of us I think there are only 2 I would definitively say will have a bigger impact than us. Bama brought in 29 blue chippers, hard to deny the impact of that. And i think in balance and quality Urb's OSU class for only having 21 might be the best class per pkayer on paper I have seen since following this stuff. Outside that I think our class can compete with any of the others.

Moving forward I think Mac should look to have a few more sewn up early and not need such a big NSD. I would like to see him land an in-state 5* or two just for perceptions sake. But I think he has finally established an in-state presence and those will come with time. He also should finally be in a position where he can recruit a little more freely with no position being a must which will help him.

On-field predicitons going forward. I think this yea will be Mac's worst of his first five years here as we will be relatively raw. I would not be surprised to see Nuss dismissed by mid-season. I think we will see a shift in offensive philosophy by Mac to be a little more creative and wide open.

Just my two cents, nothing more

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I believe our 2017 record will be identical to 2016. Other than fsu, lsu and uga we will have equal or better talent. Michigan game will be the difference in 3 or 4 losses.

Note:

I think more than anything this is the class that, outside of QB, finally 'fixed' our roster. Now sure, next year TE and OL and WR will need to be addressed but we no longer have any positions where a 'miss' makes it so we can't field a two deep. Tough job but in just 3 classes he fixed a roster which was broken, depth wise, at LB, QB, RB, WR and most notably OL.

(While you've spend months constantly dissing on Mc's recruiting, even saying that he was regressing.)

. Bama & OSU -- Outside that I think our (you mean Mc-staff's) class can compete with any of the others.

Moving forward I think Mac should (never listen to anything that this dufus has to say)

On-field predicitons going forward. I think this yea will be Mac's worst of his first five years here as we will be relatively raw. I would not be surprised to see Nuss dismissed by mid-season. I think we will see a shift in offensive philosophy by Mac to be a little more creative and wide open. (yeah, and I've seen the results of your clueless pre-dic-tions) :confused:

Even at 2 cents, that's robbery imo... :D
To me, they look loaded for 2017 and into the future.
The team is now balanced at positions so recruiting can focus on matching specific players with specific jobs.

Unless they leave early, like Ivey maybe, I see the OL being as good or better in 2018.
The only one gone for sure will be rsSr Riles.

Projected 2017 OL (15)

1) Antonio Riles 6-4 313 rsSr
2) Kavaris Harkless 6-5 310 rsJr
3) Andrew Mike 6-6 301 rsJr
4) Martez Ivey 6-5 305 Jr
5) Tyler Jordan 6-4 309 Jr
6) Fred Johnson 6-6 311 Jr

7) Brandon Sandifer 6-3 323 rsSo
8) Nick Buchanon 6-2 301 rsSo
9) Richard Desir Jones 6-4 292 rsSo
10) TJ McCoy 6-1 308 rsSo
11) Jawaan Taylor 6-5 340 So
12) Stone Forsythe - 6-7 329 rsFr
13) Brett Heggie 6-3 317 rsFr
~ Marcus Givens 6-0 275 rsSo WO
~ Nick Villano 6-2 301 rsSo WO
~ Dallas Bruch 6-3 275 rsFr WO
------

#10 OG T.J. Moore 6-6 280 Fr - Charlotte, NC
(AU-Miz-SCa-TN-VaTech-WVa)
#14 OT Kadeem Telfort 6-7 300 Fr-EE - Miami
(AU-UGA-LSU-UL-Mia-USF-WVa)
==========

The same is true for TE in 2018, the only one gone for sure is Goolsby Sr.

Projected TE's: (5)

1) DeAndre Goolsby 6-4 244 Sr
2) C'yontai Lewis 6-4 231 rsJr
3) Moral Stephens 6-3 249 rsJr
4) Camrin Knight 6-3 246 Jr
~ Brian Fallace 6-4 209 rsJr WO
~ Ryan ferguson 6-3 229 rsJr WO
~ Harry Gornto V 6-2 203 rsSo WO
------
#3 TE-H Kemore Gamble 6-4 216 Fr-EE - Miami
(UK-TN-UL-Mia-NC-WVa-Wis)
===========

And it's the same is true for WR in 2018, the only one gone for sure is Powell Sr.
Callaway is the only other one that might go as an early departure Jr.

Projected WR's: (10)
1) Brandon Powell 5-9 184 Sr
2) Dre Massey 5-9 180 rsJr
3) Antonio Callaway 5-11 197 Jr
4) Kalif Jackson 6-4 217 rsSo
5) Tyrie Cleveland 6-2 196 So
6) Josh Hammond 6-1 186 So
7)Freddie Swain 6-0 186 So
8) Rick Wells 6-0 206 rsFr
~ Anthony Gigia 5-11 177 Jr WO
~ Glenn Jarriel 5-8 173 rsSo WO
~ Tucker Nordman 6-1 192 rsSo WO
~ Charles Nordman 6-1 180 rsSo WO

------
#11 WR James Robinson 6-4 205 Fr - Lakeland
(UA-AU-UGA-LSU-TN-Clem-tOSU-USC)
#18 WR Daquon Green 6-1 192 Fr - Tampa
(AU-UGA-SCa-TN-Mia-Mich-VaTech)
==============

So you're right on with that stuff, just like always.:confused: - :D

Last year, when most here were saying that the D would drop off, now that so many of WM's recruits were gone after the 2014 and 2015 seasons, all they did was go up from #8 to #5 in 2016, even with the many injuries which required Mc's recruits to carry the load. o_O

In 2017, I believe that they will remain in the Top 10. They now have both quality and depth, and the ones that are returning already have playing and/or starting experience.

Of course that's jmoho and I'm just a know-nothing old fart... :cool:

Optimism runneth over...what a contrast from just a couple days ago.

UF has all their tougher games in Gainesville or a neutral field. Mich and UGA = Neutral. Ten, LSU, aTm, FSU in Gainesville. Mich, Ten, in major rebuild mode. I see solid wins there. UGA always underachieves, will Smart buck that trend? aTm and LSU underachieved last year...will that turn around? If not, UF should handle business there. FSU is clearly the toughest game, on paper. 16 returning starters along with the QB. I can see UF going 9-3 or 11-1 with most likely a 10-2 reg. season. That puts them in the SECCG in most situations since I do not see another SECe team running the table. It looks like three straight to me.

Note: I have used 247 Composite rankings the whole time and those are the numbers I use here too

All things eventually come down to on-field performance but recruiting is a big piece of that.

Mac deserves a ton of credit as we moved from #31 to #10 in a little over a week being two coaches down. Thats impressive.

In looking at the classes in front of us I think there are only 2 I would definitively say will have a bigger impact than us. Bama brought in 29 blue chippers, hard to deny the impact of that. And i think in balance and quality Urb's OSU class for only having 21 might be the best class per pkayer on paper I have seen since following this stuff. Outside that I think our class can compete with any of the others.

Moving forward I think Mac should look to have a few more sewn up early and not need such a big NSD. I would like to see him land an in-state 5* or two just for perceptions sake. But I think he has finally established an in-state presence and those will come with time. He also should finally be in a position where he can recruit a little more freely with no position being a must which will help him.

On-field predicitons going forward. I think this yea will be Mac's worst of his first five years here as we will be relatively raw. I would not be surprised to see Nuss dismissed by mid-season. I think we will see a shift in offensive philosophy by Mac to be a little more creative and wide open.

I agree with pretty much everything that you've said...and it's good (IMO) that you're giving credit where it's due. I agree...we have to start locking down some of those 5*'s...I"m not huge on ratings but they mean something...a lot of those kids are really good and big difference makers in college. Mac has defiantly recovered big time and I agree...and hope...that moving forward we will have our recruiting class locked down earlier. A month ago..I thought that Mac would just phase out at some point but I will say this....he's made good on some very difficult circumstances. I don't know where we end up but he's really done a good job. I agree too that the offense needs to change but the one thing that I LIKE about Mac is that he will change and really change some things to make it work. You can't say that about a lot of guys. We need a QB that can play but outside of that we have pieces now. Great job by him and he deserves some room to operate. Our schedule this year is going to be f*&^king hell. I agree...this will be a tough year...but he's gotten things done the last couple of years so we'll see...nobody saw us beating LSU last year....yet...we won in an amazing fashion. My idea on where we are headed has changed. Big change in the last week and I love the new RB hire...freaking home run hire! #gogators

If the 2017 recruiting class was any indication then Mac intends to take back the state in recruiting. I hope the focus for the 2018 class is to keep focusing on this state.
He really killed it in Florida...we are going to mop up next year. I feel like all of these cherry pickers coming into Florida and taking what they want....that's going to change some.

Optimism runneth over...what a contrast from just a couple days ago.

UF has all their tougher games in Gainesville or a neutral field. Mich and UGA = Neutral. Ten, LSU, aTm, FSU in Gainesville. Mich, Ten, in major rebuild mode. I see solid wins there. UGA always underachieves, will Smart buck that trend? aTm and LSU underachieved last year...will that turn around? If not, UF should handle business there. FSU is clearly the toughest game, on paper. 16 returning starters along with the QB. I can see UF going 9-3 or 11-1 with most likely a 10-2 reg. season. That puts them in the SECCG in most situations since I do not see another SECe team running the table. It looks like three straight to me.

No one on these boards despises Michigan anywhere near the level i do. If yoi told me we were going 1-11 next year and let me pick a win Inwould selfishly pick Michigan. But we will not win that game, will not. I hope more than anything to be wrong, but that is not a game we will win.

I see Insta is still spreading #alternativefacts about Mac's recruits carrying the load on defense. It's actually kinda impressive how someone can ignore reality the way he does.

No one on these boards despises Michigan anywhere near the level i do. If yoi told me we were going 1-11 next year and let me pick a win Inwould selfishly pick Michigan. But we will not win that game, will not. I hope more than anything to be wrong, but that is not a game we will win.

"Will not" is pretty strong.

I think its a 50/50 game if the QB play isn't terrible. Michigan's QB is no game changer and they are replacing more starters than us. Also our likely weakness (DT size and depth with non true freshman) will be at its best point due to it being the first game of the season before injuries start taking a toll.

I see Insta is still spreading #alternative facts about Mac's recruits carrying the load on defense. It's actually kinda impressive how someone can ignore reality the way he does.

The starting QB was gone for the season by the Ark game. This is the injury report the week before the Oct 8th LSU game.

~ As for the rest of the injury report, McElwain says DT Caleb Brantley and LB Alex Anzalone are expected to play with a wrap on their injured hands.WR Brandon Powell, LT David Sharpe (shoulder) and DE Bryan Cox Jr. will also be (playing injured but) ready to go for Saturday. LB Daniel McMillian is questionable and DE Jordan Sherit and DT Joey Ivie are out for the game.
And it only got much worse as the 2nd half of the season unfolded.

By the week of the SEC-C game:
Out: DE Jordan Sherit, OC Cameron Dillard, OG/OC Tyler Jordan
“Out or probably out”:MLB Jarrad Davis, LB Alex Anzalone, FS Marcus Maye, SS Nick Washington, DE Bryan Cox Jr
Questionable: RT Jeawon Taylor, LT Martez Ivey, WR Ahmad Fulwood, CB/Nic Duke Dawson, LB Daniel McMillian

By the Outback Bowl the 3 starting LB's were rsFr K.Johnson, Fr D.Reese, Fr V.Joseph.
The starting FS was Fr Chauncey Gardener, and the DL rotation was loaded with Mc-recruits.

You constantly say unsupported STUPID-CHIT, like it's factual information. o_O
=======

And before you continue with the same stupid chit for 2017:

2017 OFFENSE -- 40 Scholarships -- 11 WO's

Mc-Staff's Offensive recruiting responsibility for the 2017 roster.

All 5 QB's - 100%
All 5 RB's - 100%
9 of 10 WR's - 90%
12 of 15 OL - 80%
2 of 5 TE's - 40%
33 of 40 Ship-O - 82.5% of the Ship-O
=============

2017 DEFENSE -- 40 Scholarships - 11 WO's
All 9 LB's - 100%
7 of 9 CB's 77.8%
6 of 8 DE's - 75%
5 of 7 DT's - 71.4%
5 of 7 S's - 71.4%
32 of 40 Ship-D - 80% of the Ship-D

65 of the 80 Ship Team (81.25%) are now Mc-recruits. :cool:
===========

Don't know who wins in Dallas in 2017, however there is this to consider:
Nov 12 -- Iowa 14 - 13 Mich
Outback - Iowa 3 - 30 Florida

Last edited:
I think fsu's class was slightly better becuz of star power but u guys closed so strong its hard to say u dont fall anywhere from 3 to 11(depending on how recruits turn out). Very nice class for the Gates

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT