ADVERTISEMENT

Lethal Simplicity...FSU READY TO SHOCK THE CFB WORLD!!!!@

PlutoDroid

Rowdy Reptile
Aug 16, 2015

Has Steamboat Willie been devising a new offensive scheme to utilize FSU's talent? Their spring game may have hinted at a new Seminole set that is ready to set the world on fire. I mean bunch routes and swing passes have never been used before...lol

lol That crap wont work if they can't block.

The Wisconsin transfer QB was telling reporters that FSU had better talent than the 2015 Bama team. :D

Until we see progression in actual games I think tempering expectations is wise. It could be worse though, Tate Martell supposedly looked terrible in duh U's scrimmage.

It’s all dependent on the OL.

Look at UF, one of the worst offenses in CFB for a decade, then last year with a dominant OL it’s like the Fun and Gun never left. Let’s see how Franks looks this year replacing most of the veteran starters.

Briles/Clements may be what FSU needed, but the OL still has to nut up.

FSU will be much improved with Briles.

I’ll tell you, his offenses are legit, the no playbook thing intrigues me. With our joke of an O, who could not line up right the majority of the time, he might be exactly what we needed.

It’s all dependent on the OL.

Look at UF, one of the worst offenses in CFB for a decade, then last year with a dominant OL it’s like the Fun and Gun never left. Let’s see how Franks looks this year replacing most of the veteran starters.

You've got to be joking about UF's 'dominant' 2018 OL.... :rolleyes:
RT - projected 1st Rnd
LT - projected 6th Rnd
RG - lucky if a F/A
LG - lucky if a F/A
C - a rsJr 3-star 5.5, his first start was in 2018.

Under OC/OL Hevesy's coaching, they improved greatly, I'll give them that much.
18 Sacks, for #3 SEC, #20 in nation was a great improvement with Dan's offense.
Consistency of play will be the indicator on this coming years OL outcomes. o_O

The 2019 starters have a very good chance to be as good if not better as the 2018's..
For the OL backups, they have plenty of talent, just not much experience, so we'll see. :cool:

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Insta,

Respect your opinion on OL & hope you are correct.

But Mullen does not seem to agree.

He restricted the DL in the spring game (obviously he wanted an offensive showcase) and has dropped the comment about Grad Transfer OL several times since the spring game.

Do you have any info about these hoped for OL transfers ?

GO GATORS !!

I don’t see anywhere where the DL was restricted, the coverages were kept simple yes. It’s not even possible to restrict a DL, how would you do it tell them to not rush? We weren’t out there running exotic blitzes but the oline won most of their 1-on-1’s which should be encouraging.

I think the coaches feel comfortable with the starters. And after rewatching some games last year I do too. Forsythe started a few games over Taylor at RT which is a good sign considering Taylor is about to be a 1st round pick. And he was the first guy off the bench at multiple positions which speaks to his versatility. Buchanan was rock steady at center and started every game. Heggie played in every game he was available and had plenty of good snaps. Bleich got lots of snaps later in the year as a true freshman which is another good sign.

To me the only question mark is Delance at RT but from all indications he’s stepped up. And talent isn’t a question, he was an All-American coming out. I think getting a grad transfer if possible is more about the 2nd team than anything. As of now the unit is made up of 4 true freshmen. Thankfully they’ve been here practicing and lifting but if you can get some more depth you do it.

I don’t see anywhere where the DL was restricted, the coverages were kept simple yes. It’s not even possible to restrict a DL, how would you do it tell them to not rush? We weren’t out there running exotic blitzes but the oline won most of their 1-on-1’s which should be encouraging.

"...But the warts were evident upon closer look, especially considering the Gators' (offense) faced minimal blitzes and hardly any disguised or exotic packages from Todd Grantham’s defense." https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-football-feliepe-franks-dominates-orange-blue-spring-game/

Restrictions on the DL may have been an embellishment on my part, but when you restrict the entire Defense, IMO, you do not get a totally accurate read on any part of the offense, especially the OL.

I think the coaches feel comfortable with the starters. And after rewatching some games last year I do too. Forsythe started a few games over Taylor at RT which is a good sign considering Taylor is about to be a 1st round pick. And he was the first guy off the bench at multiple positions which speaks to his versatility. Buchanan was rock steady at center and started every game. Heggie played in every game he was available and had plenty of good snaps. Bleich got lots of snaps later in the year as a true freshman which is another good sign.

To me the only question mark is Delance at RT but from all indications he’s stepped up. And talent isn’t a question, he was an All-American coming out. I think getting a grad transfer if possible is more about the 2nd team than anything. As of now the unit is made up of 4 true freshmen. Thankfully they’ve been here practicing and lifting but if you can get some more depth you do it.

Oozie, when I first read your post, I was uncomfortable with this portion of it because of several article I have read recently.

Dan Mullen refering to the OL after the spring game

“...We have to go out, hit the road recruiting, because we are not complete at that position yet at all for this season," Mullen said, before later saying they would absolutely take a graduate transfer.”

"...we’d love to get a grad transfer come in and add somebody that can come in and we’d feel comfortable that has that experience and can come in and play immediately for us."

“...Given Mullen's philosophy on transfers -- he basically only takes them if they can play right away, he's not big on taking transfers who might take a couple years to develop -- many have assumed that means Mullen is targeting a guy who can replace a current starter.”

Oozie, I have seen this Mullen opinion reported by seveal Gator website. The purpose of a transfer, any transfer, is to play immediayely – as evidenced by Jefferson & Grimes at WR and Adam Shuler on the DL.

Also, I think most observers expect Jonathan Greenard to be the starter at Buck DE.

Reacting to Mullen's reported statements, I expect any OL transfers (Grad or other) to come in & compete for a starting position.

Oozie, after reading this article, while I still feel that Mullen is looking for OL starters, I did find greater support for your opinion.

“... Currently, Florida has a redshirt senior, three redshirt juniors and a redshirt freshman starting this spring. The bigger issue and what we'd suggest is the real impetus behind wanting to take a graduate transfer or two is what happens behind that group.

In the spring game, both Brett Heggie and Jean Delance were dealing with ankle injuries that clearly hobbled them. And while that's fine in a setting where you can control how hard the defense is going after the quarterback, you don't exactly have that luxury in the fall.

So what do you do if one of those starters is clearly ailing to the point he's become ineffective on Saturdays during the season? Well, as of now the likely backups are basically all freshmen (T.J. Moore being the lone exception).

Taking a grad transfer, to us (24/7), isn't as much about finding a guy who can definitely start as it is pushing those freshmen just a bit further away from being the very next guys up.

That may seem to go against Mullen's philosophy on transfers to some degree, but the truth of the matter is there usually aren't that many high-caliber offensive linemen transferring. Mullen's already said he wants one, though, so the Gators are definitely looking.”

https://247sports.com/college/flori...fer-about-giving-young-O-line-time-131371721/

Personally, I hope we find two starter caliber transfers - a guard and a tackle !

Last edited:
Reactions: oozie7
"...But the warts were evident upon closer look, especially considering the Gators' (offense) faced minimal blitzes and hardly any disguised or exotic packages from Todd Grantham’s defense." https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-football-feliepe-franks-dominates-orange-blue-spring-game/

Restrictions on the DL may have been an embellishment on my part, but when you restrict the entire Defense, IMO, you do not get a totally accurate read on any part of the offense, especially the OL.

Oozie, when I first read your post, I was uncomfortable with this portion of it because of several article I have read recently.

Dan Mullen refering to the OL after the spring game

“...We have to go out, hit the road recruiting, because we are not complete at that position yet at all for this season," Mullen said, before later saying they would absolutely take a graduate transfer.”

"...we’d love to get a grad transfer come in and add somebody that can come in and we’d feel comfortable that has that experience and can come in and play immediately for us."

“...Given Mullen's philosophy on transfers -- he basically only takes them if they can play right away, he's not big on taking transfers who might take a couple years to develop -- many have assumed that means Mullen is targeting a guy who can replace a current starter.”

Oozie, I have seen this Mullen opinion reported by seveal Gator website. The purpose of a transfer, any transfer, is to play immediayely – as evidenced by Jefferson & Grimes at WR and Adam Shuler on the DL.

Also, I think most observers expect Jonathan Greenard to be the starter at Buck DE.

Reacting to Mullen's reported statements, I expect any OL transfers (Grad or other) to come in & compete for a starting position.

Oozie, after reading this article, while I still feel that Mullen is looking for OL starters, I did find greater support for your opinion.

“... Currently, Florida has a redshirt senior, three redshirt juniors and a redshirt freshman starting this spring. The bigger issue and what we'd suggest is the real impetus behind wanting to take a graduate transfer or two is what happens behind that group.

In the spring game, both Brett Heggie and Jean Delance were dealing with ankle injuries that clearly hobbled them. And while that's fine in a setting where you can control how hard the defense is going after the quarterback, you don't exactly have that luxury in the fall.

So what do you do if one of those starters is clearly ailing to the point he's become ineffective on Saturdays during the season? Well, as of now the likely backups are basically all freshmen (T.J. Moore being the lone exception).

Taking a grad transfer, to us (24/7), isn't as much about finding a guy who can definitely start as it is pushing those freshmen just a bit further away from being the very next guys up.

That may seem to go against Mullen's philosophy on transfers to some degree, but the truth of the matter is there usually aren't that many high-caliber offensive linemen transferring. Mullen's already said he wants one, though, so the Gators are definitely looking.”

https://247sports.com/college/flori...fer-about-giving-young-O-line-time-131371721/

Personally, I hope we find two starter caliber transfers - a guard and a tackle !

The thing is, and the article touches on it some, is that you most likely aren't getting any starting quality grad transfers on the oline. QB? Yea possibly because only 1 play at a time. A very good player could lose out to someone slightly better and be transferring. On oline 5 play at a time so if you're starter quality you're gonna be playing where you are. Almost no high-level starters on the oline are transferring.

Insta,

Respect your opinion on OL & hope you are correct.

But Mullen does not seem to agree.

He restricted the DL in the spring game (obviously he wanted an offensive showcase) and has dropped the comment about Grad Transfer OL several times since the spring game.

Do you have any info about these hoped for OL transfers ?

GO GATORS !!

Thanks Jeff, let me see if I can ease your mind a bit... :cool:

2019 Offense Early Roster

66. OC/OG Nick Buchanan 6-3 291 rsSr (2018 starter)
55. RT Noah Banks 6-5 309 rsSr - EE (JuCo-AA - #5 OT)
61. LG/OC Brett Heggie 6-4 314 rsJr (7 starts)
72. LT Stone Forsythe 6-7 323 rsJr (13 Gms, 1 Start, played OG & OT)
70. LG/DT Tanner Rowell 6-2 283 rsJr - Moved to LG, he can bench press your car...
56. LT Jean DeLance 6-4 313 rsJr (played in 4 Gms)
75. RT T.J. Moore 6-5 300 rsSo (played in 2 Gms as a rsFr)
67. RG Chris Bleich 6-6 321 rsFr - EE (played in 4 Gms as a tFr)
76. LT Richard Gouraige 6-4 303 (played in 2 Gms as a tFr)
62. OC/OG Griffin McDowell 6-3 295 rsFr (2 Gms and redshirted)
10 Returning.

-----
FNG OL, 3 Summer arrivals in bold.

E-#2 OG Deyavie Hammond 6-4 345 Fr **** - chose UF over UA, UGly

65. E-#7 OC Kingsley Eguakun 6-4 294 Fr *** EE - Miami flip, chose UF orver AU.
78. E-#11 OG Ethan White 6-5 355 Fr **** EE- chose UF over 8 other schools
74. R-#13 OG Will Harrod 6-5 316 Fr **** EE - chose UF over a long list.
R-#17 OG Riley Simonds 6-4 290 Fr *** - chose UF over 10 other SEC schools
64. E-#18 OT Michael Tarquin 6-5 275 Fr **** EE - chose UF over 22 other offers
R-#37 OT Wardrick Wilson 6-5 311 Fr **** - chose UF over Mich and 10 others

That's 7 FNG's,,, for a total of 17 OLmen.

Four of the 7 FNG's, were early enrolles with Spring experience.
The other 3 will have all summer with the Savage, and then 25 Fall practices.

Many true Fr have started at UF over the years, including J.Taylor and M.Ivey.
Things don't seem as dire on the OL to me as they do to some people.

And keep in mind that in the Spring game, the OL'men were split up on 2 teams.
You didn't get to see the 5 starters all playing together there. o_O

Last edited:
In a spring game you really want to see how your OLine and DLine do in one on one matchups at full speed. Especially how your OLine works together on 2 on 1 matchups and vice versa with the DL. Camp and the regular season practice/games you’ll know how well they really are. In the spring if your young OL have good fundamentals and are winning their matchups you have a solid shot in the regular season. That is if you have an OL coach worth his salt. He’ll get them ready for those exotic blitz packages but if they don’t have the basic fundamentals down and strength the blitzes won’t matter. Mullen has a strong history of having good OLs in his time at a school like Miss St. You guys should be concerned but confident.

Reactions: oozie7
Insta,
easing my mind not the point; it's Dan Mullen who seems to be unhappy with the current OL and is talking about about looking for Grad transfer OL.

This article from Rivals illistrates my point - https://florida.rivals.com/news/grad-transfer-options-for-the-florida-gators-offensive-line

GO GATORS !!

Pick and choose what points you want to focus on, among his many post Spring comments.

"Not that I don’t like our young players and where they’re coming in their development," Mullen stated following the spring game, "But when you’re looking at all these guys, we’d love to get a grad transfer come in, and add somebody that can come in and we’d feel comfortable that has that experience and can come in and play immediately for us."

Mullen has been impressed with some of his young players’ early performances, despite their lack of experience. The way the Florida coach sees it, the best players rise to the occasion when forced to adapt or get left behind.

“I don’t get frustrated with it, I think I’m seeing, especially in the young guys have picked it up a little faster than you are used to seeing,” he said. “I think that happens when they are forced to play up (to your competition).” (in this case, UF's experienced DL)

If that OL unit comes together in a hurry, there’s no doubt Florida could challenge Georgia for the right to go to the 2019 SEC Championship Game.

Getting 1 or 2 OL as Grad-xfers or JuCo's would be mostly for experienced depth, in case of starter injuries. Makes sense, but it's just as reasonable to believe that 1-2 of the rsFr or tFr will be able to step up by Aug 24th and get the job done. 5-star Ivey and 3-star Taylor both played and started as true Fr.

Has Steamboat Willie been devising a new offensive scheme to utilize FSU's talent? Their spring game may have hinted at a new Seminole set that is ready to set the world on fire. I mean bunch routes and swing passes have never been used before...lol

As long as willie t bag is our coach... We wont be that good

But it will continue to improve with the 2020 class... ;)

The #26 WDE Josh Griffis 6-4 220 *** 5.6 apparently took a hard look around UF for academics and for depth at his position. Then after being committed to UF for months, he de-committed. I guess he's decided that he might better find another place, one with lower standards in those areas it seems.... :confused:

Enter Clown-U.at FSUcks,.for another IMG Bradenton crinminole. He's found his true home. :cool:

It's not, 'but if it were up to me,' I wouldn't even bother recruiting the drama-queens from IMG Bradenton, I'd put them on my chill-list. Anyone there that wanted to be a Gator would have to beg on bended knee,,, and even then... :rolleyes:

But it will continue to improve with the 2020 class... ;)

The #26 WDE Josh Griffis 6-4 220 *** 5.6 apparently took a hard look around UF for academics and for depth at his position. Then after being committed to UF for months, he de-committed. I guess he's decided that he might better find another place, one with lower standards in those areas it seems.... :confused:

Enter Clown-U.at FSUcks,.for another IMG Bradenton crinminole. He's found his true home. :cool:

It's not, 'but if it were up to me,' I wouldn't even bother recruiting the drama-queens from IMG Bradenton, I'd put them on my chill-list. Anyone there that wanted to be a Gator would have to beg on bended knee,,, and even then... :rolleyes:
UF has standards for football players? Since when?

I like how this guy is talking as if the FSU offense is doing great things. It's just as bogus a game as everybody else's is now. DB's 10 yards off the ball, no rush, half the time there isn't even a defender in the screen for each of the WR's. I saw several plays where the outside WR covered up the inside WR, if they don't fix that there will be a lot of penalties for ineligible players downfield. I know they want to go fast, but haste makes waste.

It will be interesting to see against Boise.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
We were outside of the top 100 in scoring and total offense last year. Can't get any worse.
We were outside of the top 100 in scoring and total offense for like 7 straight years. IT CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE!!! For proof, just look at Tennessee everytime they change coaches.

Insta,
easing my mind not the point; it's Dan Mullen who seems to be unhappy with the current OL and is talking about about looking for Grad transfer OL.

This article from Rivals illistrates my point - https://florida.rivals.com/news/grad-transfer-options-for-the-florida-gators-offensive-line

GO GATORS !!

Meh. He wants the guys to work hard this offseason. We have talent, but it's young and hasn't worked together a lot. Oline needs cohesion, he wants them to become a unit. I'm not worried about them, we will have them worked into shape by Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT