ADVERTISEMENT

LAGWAY

May 12, 2020
First off why did they wait until 4th qrt of last week to put this kid in? The other QB has to be replaced, period. If Lagway keeps playing like this he will be heisman two years in a row. He reminds me so much of Cam Newton on the passing.

Second, overall they played better but not yet tested well enough. Whoever decided NOT to start Lagway he is the one who needs to be gone, putting 6-7 year senior over PURE TALENT as in LAGWAY is STUPID. Mertz doesn't belong there at QB sorry. I'm guessing he is going to be an MD? I am sure he will be great at that. Lagway is the best Freshman QB I've seen in 15 years. Hopefully they don't read these boards, I don't want it to go to his head.

Lagway showed promise but we played Samford. We've been thrown off many times by our early season performance against a vastly inferior opponent.
This times a million.

Mertz is a solid QB with a a huge amount of experience that will be beneficial in games to come.

He was a pleasant surprise last year and was literally one of the few dependable things coming back this year.

It is interesting how quick so many are willing to discard him and move on to the new shiny toy because of one game…against Samford.

This times a million.

Mertz is a solid QB with a a huge amount of experience that will be beneficial in games to come.

He was a pleasant surprise last year and was literally one of the few dependable things coming back this year.

It is interesting how quick so many are willing to discard him and move on to the new shiny toy because of one game…against Samford.
No one is throwing shade on Mertz. This mess isn't his fault. He's got a limited supporting cast (line). However, when the deputy sheriff has two guys they are chasing with hounds through the woods, which guy will you bet on to get away from the howling pack?

This times a million.

He hasn't been beneficial for wins so far with this team so what will change? He had only one half in the SC game last season where he elevated a team with issues and now his weaknesses are exposed even more with our RT issue. If he remains the starter teams will just play us knowing Mertz will play his style and they won't fear getting burned downfield. No reason not to let Lagway go through his growing pains when the alternative is what we have already seen for over a year. If Lagway is getting killed then you can put Mertz back in to do his dink and dunk 5 yard box passing thing.

He hasn't been beneficial for wins so far with this team so what will change? He had only one half in the SC game last season where he elevated a team with issues and now his weaknesses are exposed even more with our RT issue. If he remains the starter teams will just play us knowing Mertz will play his style and they won't fear getting burned downfield. No reason not to let Lagway go through his growing pains when the alternative is what we have already seen for over a year. If Lagway is getting killed then you can put Mertz back in to do his dink and dunk 5 yard box passing thing.
Without Mertz last year not only do we win 1 or 2 games, but we would not have been competitive in many others. I remember when the idiots were screaming for Brown to start, and then we saw how that worked out against the noles. Sad part if Mertz had started against FSU we win that game too.

Without Mertz last year not only do we win 1 or 2 games, but we would not have been competitive in many others. I remember when the idiots were screaming for Brown to start, and then we saw how that worked out against the noles. Sad part if Mertz had started against FSU we win that game too.

Mertz is a very average QB that only got that completion % by not trying to succeed on 3rd down and doing anything he could to not throw the ball away. The difference from Wisconsin to here last season was he at least tried there to get the damn first down and took his lumps by going downfield. No reason to leave Mertz in there for another joke 5-7 season when you might possibly have something after a few games with Lagway.

Mertz is a very average QB that only got that completion % by not trying to succeed on 3rd down and doing anything he could to not throw the ball away. The difference from Wisconsin to here last season was he at least tried there to get the damn first down and took his lumps by going downfield. No reason to leave Mertz in there for another joke 5-7 season when you might possibly have something after a few games with Lagway.
Mertz was 5-5 last year. Didn't finish the mizzou game and didn't play against nolies. Average QB? Maybe. But what we do know factually is our offensive line is horrendous. But if you are a knuckle dragging small thinker all you see is the qb play. I get it. I agree about starting Lagway. Not because he gives us a better chance to win, but because he is the future. True freshman that I would love to see in the program for 3-4 years.

Mertz was 5-5 last year. Didn't finish the mizzou game and didn't play against nolies. Average QB? Maybe. But what we do know factually is our offensive line is horrendous. But if you are a knuckle dragging small thinker all you see is the qb play. I get it. I agree about starting Lagway. Not because he gives us a better chance to win, but because he is the future. True freshman that I would love to see in the program for 3-4 years.

lol ...Yep Mertz would have gave us a chance against FSU. He would have been killed just like the GA game.

The Texas A&M game will tell us much about DJ at QB. It is true their offense is disorganized but the defense is talented.

The Texas A&M game will tell us much about DJ at QB. It is true their offense is disorganized but the defense is talented.
That game won't tell us anything if Napier goes back to Mertz, which he very well could if the kid clears concussion protocals so he can practice this week. I believe that DJ should be the QB going forward, but Napier may think otherwise.

Mertz has to be on a short leash and yes the team looked totally different with DJ at the helm but they were playing Fred Samford. I want to see DJ play a complete game vs an SEC team whether its A&M or Miss. State. The speed of an SEC team will let us know if DJ is the real deal vs some stiffer competition. DJ might be the only one that can save Billy's job with some wins this year. Cause you know Georgia, Bama and Ole Miss took notice of his performance last night. They all will need a QB next year and have plenty of money to throw around.

• Sad
Reactions: instaGATOR
Guys, it's been obvious since we offered DJ in high school that he is a rare gem. We must retain him at all costs. If he is here for a few years he will eventually get a statue alongside the others outside the stadium. He should have started vs Miami. Regardless of who the other players are or who the coaches are, DJ shines bright anywhere. He is a good person, sincere, genuine, God fearing, kind, in addition to being an exceptional QB that can pass and run at a level that few can. Mertz can't hit deep balls. Mertz can't scramble, roll, run, and extend plays. Mertz is a competent, serviceable, QB but can't compare him to DJ in any facet. DJ makes things happen and makes things look easy. He is the first chosen one we've had since Tebow. He's also about the same height and weight as Tebow too.

Lagway showed promise but we played Samford. We've been thrown off many times by our early season performance against a vastly inferior opponent.
Do you truly believe Cam Newton had great talent on offense with Auburn the year they won the title? Sorry but no he didn't. It was his passing that won them the title.

Time will tell if Lagway should be compared to Newton.
I've been around long enough to have seen Newton when he was a Gator. Great wheels, but passing game was NOTHING like Lagway's shown potential ability and Cam had more experience when he shipped out to Auburn. My only point is when you have a chunk and duck offense, he's better suited to survive the jail break that's coming back at the QB. He's going to take his lumps no doubt, and possibly struggle, but so is Mertz behind this line. There is simply more upside with Lagway. I feel bad for Mertz, he's giving 100%, but sometimes that's just not enough.

I've been around long enough to have seen Newton when he was a Gator. Great wheels, but passing game was NOTHING like Lagway's shown potential ability and Cam had more experience when he shipped out to Auburn. My only point is when you have a chunk and duck offense, he's better suited to survive the jail break that's coming back at the QB. He's going to take his lumps no doubt, and possibly struggle, but so is Mertz behind this line. There is simply more upside with Lagway. I feel bad for Mertz, he's giving 100%, but sometimes that's just not enough.
I think Napier should take a few snaps behind our oline and see how he likes it. Probably end up in concussion protocol too which would be a good thing. Someone else to call the plays.

Stevie Wonder can see that DJ Lagway is the best QB and our best option to win. Napier is going to lay another turd Saturday. This is crazy like when Franks was still the starting quarterback until he got put out for the season and then you brought in the real guy who should’ve been starting the whole time. Some of these coaches kill me.

Stevie Wonder can see that DJ Lagway is the best QB and our best option to win. Napier is going to lay another turd Saturday. This is crazy like when Franks was still the starting quarterback until he got put out for the season and then you brought in the real guy who should’ve been starting the whole time. Some of these coaches kill me.
With all due respect, it’s not as easy or simple as fans want it to be.

sadgator has pointed it out before, but if you watched the ESPN preseason program focusing on the Gators that year, you will see that Mullen had no choice but to play Franks. If he had benched him, he would have lost the entire team…and make no mistake that was Franks’s team as those dudes loved him. Plus Dan was/is a proven winner in developing QB talent, so he believed he could get the best out of Franks…and he pretty much did.

Grass is always greener and fans will think they know best that it is a mistake of the highest order not to start Lagway, but nobody really knows what is going on in that locker room.

sadgator trusts that multi-million dollar coaches know better than him who on their roster should start at any given position. sadgator never criticizes a coach over which personnel the coach starts and feels is best suited to lead the team to a win.

That being said, if the team falls flat on its ass, like this team did against Miami, you bet your bottom dollar sadgator will be the first one criticizing the fact that the coach had made sucky decisions and has not prepared the team.

sadgator has pointed it out before, but if you watched the ESPN preseason program focusing on the Gators that year, you will see that Mullen had no choice but to play Franks. If he had benched him, he would have lost the entire team…and make no mistake that was Franks’s team as those dudes loved him. Plus Dan was/is a proven winner in developing QB talent, so he believed he could get the best out of Franks…and he pretty much did.

Grass is always greener and fans will think they know best that it is a mistake of the highest order not to start Lagway, but nobody really knows what is going on in that locker room.

sadgator trusts that multi-million dollar coaches know better than him who on their roster should start at any given position. sadgator never criticizes a coach over which personnel the coach starts and feels is best suited to lead the team to a win.

That being said, if the team falls flat on its ass, like this team did against Miami, you bet your bottom dollar sadgator will be the first one criticizing the fact that the coach had made sucky decisions and has not prepared the team.
I think you're wrong Sad to trust in Napier and Stricklin. They've already proven to be over their heads. You're a good guy and I know you'll be true to your word to acknowledge Napier's failure when we lose to TAM, partly because he has decided to go with Mertz (whom I have always liked) instead of the superior QB in Lagway.

Reactions: LordofallSocks

Oh honey.... we both know better

• Haha

Mullen was just favoring the guy that started before just like he did 2 previous times as a head coach and OC. Franks was limited as heck as a QB but those were our last years of good defense and the East was down so we could still win a lot of games despite the QB play. As far as Lagway goes we know there will be growing pains but the possible upside is too much imo not to give it a try when your current QB is too limited to elevate the team much. I just have a feeling Lagway will be a quick learner unlike Richardson and some rough times in his first few games won't phase him.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordofallSocks

You are a wise old sage.

Anyone who has ever been part of a team knows all about what Sad alluded to. But with a guy like Mertz whom I think is a team first guy, he will acknowledge what is best for the team. If that means DJ is the man he will be right there to support him.

While the iG was an advocate for starting Trask his true freshman year, with the dunnygoater, among some other 'know-it-alls' telling me that he wasn't even the starter for his HS team and calling me an idiot for wanting Trask as the starter.

Mertz is a 'serviceable' QB IMO and apparently a great guy, but he should be Lagway's backup, not the current starter.
We shall see how it goes, as always.....

Cg1, your usual 'selective biased memory' is as active and as intelligent as is usual for you.

2023: Brown played in six games with one start… Made first career start vs. No. 5 Florida State (Nov. 25) and completed 9-for-16 with 86 yards (56%) and an interception…

He came in for an injured Graham Mertz and completed 4-of-5 (80%) attempts for 56 yards with 7 rushing attempts totaling 56 yards, 8 ypc and leading a fourth-quarter touchdown and field goal drives at No. 9 Missouri (Nov. 18)...

Appeared for a snap against Arkansas (Nov. 4) and at South Carolina (Oct. 14)...

Completed all four pass attempts (100%) for 26 yards in his first SEC action against Vanderbil
t (Oct. 7)...
Made collegiate debut in the season opener vs. McNeese (Sept. 9) and completed two passes for 24 yards with a long of 16 on his first career attempt.

Max Brown UF Career Stats:
P - 19 of 28, 68% for 192 Yds, 10.1 Ave/P, 0 TD, 1 Int, L-27

The trouble with rsFr QB Max Brown's start vs #5 FSU was the HC/OC lack of season use and his poor preparation for FSU and his system, not a lack of QB talent on the part of Brown....
That HC/OC with Super-Mertz went 5-6 on the season.

It's a good thing that Mertz went out injured vs #9 Mizzou, because he might have gotten killed vs the #5 Criminoles....

Last edited:
Cg1, your usual 'selective biased memory' is as active and as intelligent as is usual for you.

2023: Brown played in six games with one start… Made first career start vs. No. 5 Florida State (Nov. 25) and completed 9-for-16 with 86 yards (56%) and an interception…

He came in for an injured Graham Mertz and completed 4-of-5 (80%) attempts for 56 yards with 7 rushing attempts totaling 56 yards, 8 ypc and leading a fourth-quarter touchdown and field goal drives at No. 9 Missouri (Nov. 18)...

Appeared for a snap against Arkansas (Nov. 4) and at South Carolina (Oct. 14)...

Completed all four pass attempts (100%) for 26 yards in his first SEC action against Vanderbil
t (Oct. 7)...
Made collegiate debut in the season opener vs. McNeese (Sept. 9) and completed two passes for 24 yards with a long of 16 on his first career attempt.

The trouble with rsFr QB Max Brown's start vs #5 FSU was the HC/OC lack of season use and his poor preparation for FSU and his system, not a lack of QB talent on the part of Brown....

It's a good thing that Mertz went out injured vs #9 Mizzou, because he might have gotten killed vs the #5 Criminoles....
Somebody please tell me why in the hell do we still talk about Max Brown? He is gone from Florida and didnt do sh!t while he was here.

t (Oct. 7)...

Selective memory? You screamed for him all season, then when he got his chance to start against the noles he blew chunks. Best part of this post is you accusing someone else of having selective memory and being biased. Those are probably your first and last names. Mertz was clearly the better option than Brown. Mertz sucks but Brown the victim of napier's play calling...got it.

t (Oct. 7)...

I doubt anyone was going to do much against FSU with how their line dominated but I think Brown got yanked his last game for ineffectiveness and the other guy did score a couple of TDs. As far as Brown I will just stick with the observation that nothing on his high school tape really translated much to what you have to do in big time college ball. Trask in his backup time in high school on the other hand was regularly making the type of throws that translate. Trask only got missed because he was the backup to King in high school. Otherwise he would have been a strong 3 star or low 4 star coming out with a lot of playing time.

I doubt anyone was going to do much against FSU with how their line dominated but I think Brown got yanked his last game for ineffectiveness and the other guy did score a couple of TDs. As far as Brown I will just stick with the observation that nothing on his high school tape really translated much to what you have to do in big time college ball. Trask in his backup time in high school on the other hand was regularly making the type of throws that translate. Trask only got missed because he was the backup to King in high school. Otherwise he would have been a strong 3 star or low 4 star coming out with a lot of playing time.
Actually, Brown got hurt during their last game vs North Carolina. It's a throwing hand injury that has him on a week to week basis while a true freshman takes over the QB job at Charlotte.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT