ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky loss doesn’t quite feel as bad

GatorGraz

Baby Gator
Sep 18, 2018
Gainesville, Fl
I still hear Florida fans barking about our horrible loss to Kentucky. Sure we didn’t play physical and we got manhandled on both sides of the ball but this isn’t a bad Kentucky team. Did you not watch Kentucky dismantle and out physical Miss State last night? Kentucky is the second best team in the East until proven otherwise. They have South Carolina this weekend at home and they get Georgia at home later this season. I know they won’t beat Georgia but that doesn’t take away from them being a solid team. As for us, we need to bring that same intensity next weekend into Starkville. Miss State will be slightly deflated and beat up since they just got walloped. I think our offense went kind of vanilla when we went up 23-3 early in the game. I think Dan will slowly start to open up the playbook the more Franks gets comfortable with his system. Once again, Pierce has to get more touches as well as Toney. Both are great playmakers with the ball in their hands. Defense played solid with tackling slowly improving each game. Defensive line is continuing to get good pressure and a very young secondary are learning how to play together. Obviously everyone will talk about the 6 turnovers is why we won but can we not credit our aggressive defense who made the plays to get those turnovers. That’s what granthams defenses do. All in all, great win on the road against a Tenn team that was all in to win that game with a rowdy crowd. Go Gators!

I still think Frank’s tendencies are not correctable. He didn’t play very well against a pretty bad Tennessee secondary. This offense has a limited ceiling as long as he is the QB. The one pass Trask made on the seam route made me think as to why Trask doesn’t get more opportunities. Franks can’t even make simple throws like that. He lacks touch on the ball to go along with his cerebral problems.

Reactions: Blue/Orange
An average UK team beat an average MSU team. There is nothing special about either one. Don't be fooled by their ranking. MSU has been average to bad for 20 years. They were average last year and are average this year. UK hasn't played anyone and are about ready for their annual collapse.

I still think Frank’s tendencies are not correctable. He didn’t play very well against a pretty bad Tennessee secondary. This offense has a limited ceiling as long as he is the QB. The one pass Trask made on the seam route made me think as to why Trask doesn’t get more opportunities. Franks can’t even make simple throws like that. He lacks touch on the ball to go along with his cerebral problems.

I agree Franks is what he is but at least except for the KY game he has stopped trying to give it to the defense as much and he has quit running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. If we aren't able to run it down Miss State's throat he is going to have to finally show he can make things happen under some real pressure most of the game.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
I still hear Florida fans barking about our horrible loss to Kentucky. Sure we didn’t play physical and we got manhandled on both sides of the ball but this isn’t a bad Kentucky team. Did you not watch Kentucky dismantle and out physical Miss State last night? Kentucky is the second best team in the East until proven otherwise. They have South Carolina this weekend at home and they get Georgia at home later this season. I know they won’t beat Georgia but that doesn’t take away from them being a solid team. As for us, we need to bring that same intensity next weekend into Starkville. Miss State will be slightly deflated and beat up since they just got walloped. I think our offense went kind of vanilla when we went up 23-3 early in the game. I think Dan will slowly start to open up the playbook the more Franks gets comfortable with his system. Once again, Pierce has to get more touches as well as Toney. Both are great playmakers with the ball in their hands. Defense played solid with tackling slowly improving each game. Defensive line is continuing to get good pressure and a very young secondary are learning how to play together. Obviously everyone will talk about the 6 turnovers is why we won but can we not credit our aggressive defense who made the plays to get those turnovers. That’s what granthams defenses do. All in all, great win on the road against a Tenn team that was all in to win that game with a rowdy crowd. Go Gators!

Yep. And now that Kentucky has beaten MSU, get ready for another narrative shift. Up till now, we've been told that MSU was going to pound Florida, get ready (by same posters that said Mullen couldn't coach or develop players). Now, we'll start to hear that MSU sucks, so if Florida wins, well it really doesn't count.

So predictable. Meanwhile, Mullen has Florida at 3-1 and on the verge of being ranked. Where do Scott Frost, Chip Kelly and Willie Taggart have their teams? :D

I guess with us being average/bad for 8-9 years it’s made Gator fans buried in their bitterness. Look I want the Gators to succeed more than anyone but this is a rebuild and a process. Dan Mullen has a very tough job ahead of him but he’s getting this team to buy into his philosophies. We have fans saying Trask is the guy now because he completed one 14 yard slant pass in garbage time lmao. You can’t make this stuff up. Yes Franks is a working process but if Mullen thinks he gives us the best shot than I trust him. Franks is essentially a true freshman with his lack of coaching. Last year he was scared to make mistakes because Butter Teeth was yanking everyone just trying to desperately win games. Jalon Jones and Emory jones are our future but for now, one isn’t on campus and the other isn’t ready. Offensive line played a lot better last night which is indicative of good coaching which is what we’ve been lacking for years. We aren’t winning the east this year or winning a national championship. This is a year to show growth and maturity. Let recruits see Mullen’s vision and goals. We have show recruits we have put the past in the past. Let’s get back to the days when we were actually happy when we won games against our rivals.......it wasn’t that long ago we were losing to Ga Southern at home and winning just 4 games. It wasn’t that long ago we hired a head coach who gave a tutorial on how to make a PB&J. Let’s be grateful to have a coach that’s actually taken an SEC team to #1 in the country. Let’s be grateful to be a Florida Gator again! Go Gators!

Reactions: Ncgatr1

Wait so you discount Frank’s performance because Tennesee’s secondary is bad, but you can tell so much from ONE slant pass against the 2nd and 3rd string from that same bad secondary? How the hell does that make any sense?

Franks has shown improvement, no doubt. He had gotten no real coaching until this spring and was very raw. He has a strong arm and is a pretty good runner. But he is still learning to read defenses and make split second decisions with a porous O-line than often gives him little protection. He made a couple of bad reads and a couple of his passes were ill-advised. However, for the most part he played a solid game and the players obviously look to him as their leader. Dan Mullen inherited a mess, not only in personnel but in attitude and work ethic. There is no question the team is getting better and buying more and more into what the coaches are selling. How many wins that will result in this year, no one knows. It may not be the 9-10 wins some predicted before the season, but we were 4-8 last year. Think about it.

Last edited:
In regards to Franks, Mullen has already said multiple times that our receivers need to do a better job at getting open and being physical. It’s not always on Franks. How many balls have we dropped? C. Lewis drops more balls as a tight end than I’ve ever seen. Sure some balls are 50/50 but we have to win those if we expect to be a good team. Fromm throws more 50/50 balls than anyone and his receivers come down with them and make a plays after the catch. Fromm isn’t throwing Tua balls with freakish accuracy and touch. Fromm gets a ton of credit because he plays for Georgia but he’s not exactly dropping dimes and reading defenses well. Which is why Mullen said a process of building a complete team from special teams, defense and offense. Physicality, mental toughness and resilience. Mullen is trying to change the culture here like Butter Teeth claimed he was doing but all he did was make it worse. Mullen has to get his players to understand what it means to have that Gator on your jersey. To believe in winning but not sacrificing your integrity to do it (recruiting low character guys just to fill voids).

Reactions: ocalaman
We had at least two drops yesterday off the top of my head. Cleveland dropped one which seems to be an every game thing and Lewis dropped another one. Not sure how they keep getting thrown too, even with Cleveland’s TD yesterday. He consistently drops routine balls.

Reactions: GatorGraz
On another note, Scarlett ran hard yesterday and showed me a lot. I think Damien pierce should be our number 2 and needs more touches. We’ve got to get the ball in toneys hand more as well.

Reactions: ocalaman
Franks has shown improvement, no doubt. He had gotten no real coaching until this spring and was very raw. He has a strong arm and is a pretty good runner. But he is still learning to read defenses and make split second decisions with a porous O-line than often gives him little protection. He made a couple of bad reads and a couple of his passes were ill-advised. However, for the most part he played a solid game and the players obviously look to him as their leader. Dan Mullen inherited a mess, not only in personnel but in attitude and work ethic. There is no question the team is getting better and buying more and more into what the coaches are selling. How many wins that will result in this year, no one knows. It may not be the 9-10 wins some predicted before the season, but we were 4-8 last year. Think about it.
This. X 1000

****NEWS FLASH**** he peaked at Miss State because they have a ceiling whereas Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia etc don’t have ceilings to their success. He took Miss State out of the slums and competed in the brutal SEC West.

Yep. taking MSU to #1 proves he's a solid coach. Also the first team to be ranked #1 in the first ever playoff rankings.

Smart fans are impressed by that accomplishment.

Yep. taking MSU to #1 proves he's a solid coach. Also the first team to be ranked #1 in the first ever playoff rankings.

Smart fans are impressed by that accomplishment.
How did that end when they got to the meat of their schedule? Do they give trophies for being #1 in the first playoff ranking? That ranking is just a tad more reputable than the preseason rankings. Equivalent of a popularity contest one month into the season. Maybe they got a certificate?? LMAO!! Complete and utter ridiculousness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT