ADVERTISEMENT

Just how good of a QB Coach is Mullen...

In addition to his obvious skill at coaching up a qb, he is the second best in our history at drawing up ball plays.

Reactions: sadgator
It is interesting that, going into this season, everybody on this board would have said Fitzgerald is a good SEC qb and Franks was borderline D1, but now with the coaching switch, it sure looked to me like Franks was better in that game. There is a running debate on this board whether Driskel was a coaching casualty or not. In fact, Driskel was probably the most frequent comparison to Franks. But I’ll tell you I would LOVE to have seen Mullen coach Driskel. He would have run for 1500 yards if nothing else.

It is interesting that, going into this season, everybody on this board would have said Fitzgerald is a good SEC qb and Franks was borderline D1, but now with the coaching switch, it sure looked to me like Franks was better in that game. There is a running debate on this board whether Driskel was a coaching casualty or not. In fact, Driskel was probably the most frequent comparison to Franks. But I’ll tell you I would LOVE to have seen Mullen coach Driskel. He would have run for 1500 yards if nothing else.
Now you got me thinking what coulda been.....lol. Driskel had serious wheels and his arm was nice too. Mullen woulda fixed his head like he did Franks.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I think the Kentucky loss was a blessing in disguise because it provided a lot of teaching moments for our coaching staff. Teams toughness and heart was questioned. Our overall team talent was tested. Coaching staffs ability to coach was tested etc. This team has responded to the challenge and have come full circle since that horrendous showing against a very good Kentucky team. We have corrected our tackling issue, we have created a strong pass rush that doesn't overextend itself. We have been more physical on the offensive line.

If we win next weekend against LSU, the sky is the limit for this season. I am still a grounded die hard Gator fan but this team has been tested and has responded in a positive way.

Just look at the improvement of Franks from last year to this year and the regression of Nick Fitzgerald from last year to this year.

The guy can coach & scheme around that position.

I dont really see Franks being that much better... Hes just not doing the stupid things anymore. That may be what you mean though, not sure

Reactions: instaGATOR
A great coach gets the most out of the players he's got. That's how Spurrier won the ACC at Duke. Mullen is adapting and calling plays to cover as much as he can for the weaknesses on the team and maximize the strengths. Franks has tremendous raw talent but he's a work in progress. Mullen is developing him, giving him the best opportunity to succeed while lessening his chances to fail.

I dont really see Franks being that much better... Hes just not doing the stupid things anymore. That may be what you mean though, not sure

Mechanics are much better also. His delivery isn’t as long as his feet are more on balance when he throws. His accuracy has been better as a result. If we didn’t have multiple drops a game he’d be near 65% completion right now.

And he’s seeing the field much better also. He’s seeing things presnap and then executing. And it’s small. For example last night we had a 1st and 10 on the boundary and MSU showed a corner blitz presnap and he saw it. At the snap he raises up and fires a 5 yard bullet on a curl route knowing the area would be vacated. Again...something very small but that kept us ahead of the chains in 2nd and 5 instead of taking a a loss. And that was just an adjustment by him because it was a called run, you could tell because the rest of the line was run blocking.

Well he’s already thrown for more TDs this year than last year. He’s not making as many TOs. So far his QB rating is much better than last year. He’s actually going through his progressions at times, certainly something he never did last year. He’s better at everything so far as compared to last year.

I can't remember the exact time on the clock but I do know it was one of the last drives in the 4th. He had just completed a pass for first and 10 and we were just a little past the 50 yard line. The MSU DL penetrated through our OL, Franks rolled out to his right away from the pressure and had an OLB coming towards him straight ahead. He simply threw the ball out of bounds. Nothing special but he lived to see another day. He didn't force the ball into coverage, he didn't try to run straight ahead into the massive DL's, he didn't run to the blindsided against the grain, and once he saw the defender coming full speed he didn't take a hit for what may have been a .5 yard gain and possibly a hit that could have banged him up or even caused a fumble. We were able to live to see another few plays and kill some more clock and pin MSU deep into their territory.

Last year Franks would have lost yards or turned the ball over or would have got himself shaken up .

Small things would have went a long way.

And it is an odd observation, but he doesn’t seem to be acting as showboaty and arrogant as he was last year...

He seems pretty calm, cool, a bit more humble, and workman-like.

sadgator likes him much more this season, and a huge part of it is because of his attitude....

Now you got me thinking what coulda been.....lol. Driskel had serious wheels and his arm was nice too. Mullen woulda fixed his head like he did Franks.
I think that you'd have had to also had BillyG to fix the freakin' receivers.
Having 22 drops in his last 6 starts was total BS.
Also, getting Ints on timing throws because the receiver turned the wrong way.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
This guy is a heck of a coach, now if his recruiting picks up to where it should at Florida watch out.

Dan's 1st Class with just 20 signees #14 -- 247.(does not include the 6 late additions)
2nd Class #20, with 15 verbals so far, 3 months to ESD and 5 months to NSD.

IF Dan gets a Top 10 'Bump Class' in his 2nd year, he'll be doing better than these guys did:
He's already done better than those three in his 1st class... (14 vs 36-22-18)

Their first 3 Classes:
  • Dabo Swinney at Clemson (2009-2011): 36, 27 and 10
  • Mark Richt at Miami (2016-2018): 22, 12 and 8
  • Steve Spurrier at South Carolina (2005-2007): 18, 33 and 7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT