ADVERTISEMENT

June Jones says Mac Jones is the best NFL QB prospect...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

June Jones, the former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and San Diego Chargers, has watched many of the top quarterbacks available for the 2021 NFL draft. He hasn't seen them all. But he's seen enough of Lawrence to be less smitten with the overwhelming favorite for the No. 1 overall pick to know that if it was Jones' pick at that spot, he'd be cooking up some other plans....

The two quarterbacks he prefers? Well, one is by now nearly a household name — at least among those dialed into the NFL draft process. BYU's Zach Wilson, who could be the second overall choice to the New York Jets, is higher on his pecking order than Lawrence.

But Wilson isn't Jones' No. 1 QB prospect this year. He's got Alabama's Mac Jones up top.

"Mac's deep-ball accuracy is probably the best that I have graded in my years of coaching quarterbacks," June Jones said. "He’s almost at 55 percent at over 20 yards, which is unbelievable."
---------------------

You never know until they play at the next level but June Jones thinking Mac Jones is the best pro potential QB is crazy imo. Those deep throws were wide open plays many times with Bama. The only question I think will be is whether Trask or Mac Jones gets taken earlier as the 4th or 5th QB drafted.

I remember all the nonsense June Jones talked about Tebow that 2007 season when he was pushing his QB for the Heisman. I don't think that QB ever did anything in the NFL either and was cut after a couple of seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Gators2014

June Jones, the former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and San Diego Chargers, has watched many of the top quarterbacks available for the 2021 NFL draft. He hasn't seen them all. But he's seen enough of Lawrence to be less smitten with the overwhelming favorite for the No. 1 overall pick to know that if it was Jones' pick at that spot, he'd be cooking up some other plans....

The two quarterbacks he prefers? Well, one is by now nearly a household name — at least among those dialed into the NFL draft process. BYU's Zach Wilson, who could be the second overall choice to the New York Jets, is higher on his pecking order than Lawrence.

But Wilson isn't Jones' No. 1 QB prospect this year. He's got Alabama's Mac Jones up top.

"Mac's deep-ball accuracy is probably the best that I have graded in my years of coaching quarterbacks," June Jones said. "He’s almost at 55 percent at over 20 yards, which is unbelievable."
---------------------

You never know until they play at the next level but June Jones thinking Mac Jones is the best pro potential QB is crazy imo. Those deep throws were wide open plays many times with Bama. The only question I think will be is whether Trask or Mac Jones gets taken earlier as the 4th or 5th QB drafted.

I remember all the nonsense June Jones talked about Tebow that 2007 season when he was pushing his QB for the Heisman. I don't think that QB ever did anything in the NFL either and was cut after a couple of seasons.
Hard to tell sometimes, competition (ACC vs SEC), Bama's O line, Clemson's collection of offensive playmakers. Haven't seen BYU play but I'm going to assume and may be wrong that competition is not SEC caliber or even ACC.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Fever,

Agree that until they step on an NFL field; hard to tell how good they are or can be. Lawrence no different in that regard.

June Jones NFL playing & Coaching career UN-distinguished to say the least !
His opinion does nothing for me ! (see below)

Remember that Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick.

Ask Kansas City if Tom Brady can still play.

Brady joins Peyton Manning as the only QBs to start & win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams.

Playing Career SUMMARY
G .....QB rec.....Cmp% ...YDS ...TD ...INT

17.......1-4-0 .......45.2.........923 .....3 .......7

Coaching Summary
Atlanta Falcon -3 yrs; San Diego Chargers interim HC 1 yr
Total22360.348

Last edited:
The former Hawaii Rainbows coach who once called Tim Tebow a "system quarterback."

It will be interesting to see how these QBs shake out in the future but I don't see anyway the Jags don't take Lawrence with the first pick as you know there should be no issue with work ethic with him at least - like there was with some previous high first round pick QB busts.

I saw some numbers where they were grading more recent NFL 1st round poor performers and surprisingly WR and DB had the most busts over QB but the difference may have just been QBs being given some playing time where those positions weren't given as much if their play in practice didn't justify it their first couple of seasons.

Fever,

Again you are correct !

"...QBs being given some playing time where those positions (WR / DB) weren't given as much if their play in practice didn't justify it their first couple of seasons.

" You play like you practice !" LOL

Hard to tell sometimes, competition (ACC vs SEC), Bama's O line, Clemson's collection of offensive playmakers. Haven't seen BYU play but I'm going to assume and may be wrong that competition is not SEC caliber or even ACC.

Bama set records against those "SEC calbier" defenses. Im not buying Mac being the best QB. He played on a team so far above the opposition each week and he had the best WR in college football of the past 10 or 20 or so yrs. Lawrence is far and away the best prospect.

Reactions: gatordad3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT