ADVERTISEMENT

In-Season Chatter on Gator Fall Sports / Football mostly...

instaGATOR

Bull Gator
May 29, 2001
Since 'Talking Season' has ended, a new thread seems needed for general Gator fan banter... :cool:

The AP puts UF in their Top 25.

They were already in my (iG's) Top 25,
In my own feeble mind, they began the season around #20, maybe a little higher depending on the available personnel.. My own ranking is/was based on my own speculation and opinions, not on beating CS.
=====

What's #6 Wash still doing in the Top 10, after getting waxed by former #9 AU?
Wash only drops down 3 to #9 while AU moves up to #7, (7. AU - 9. UW)
I had to edit my crossed wires... :confused: -- with a thanks to TG for the correction.

Note: 25. UF/Dan --- NR FSUcks/slick-Willie is not even in the Top 25.... :D
Well, they at least still got a few 'sympathy' votes, so maybe next week.... ;)

The scUM gets trucked and drops from #8 to #22, -14.
The meatchickens get trucked and only drops from #14 down to #21, -7
Seems typical for the mostly Yankee N.E. media-morons.... :rolleyes:

The SEC Team Rankings entering the 2nd Week:

1. UA 1-0
3. UGA 1-0
7. AU 1-0
11. LSU 1-0
----
18. MsSt 1-0
24. SCa 1-0
25. UF 1-0

Four Top 11's, with 3 more in the Top 25, 7/14 Total.

Other SEC's getting votes:
aTm - Ms

Note: Any ranklings prior to Oct 1st are pretty meaningless anyway... :cool:

Last edited:
Since 'Talking Season' has ended, a new thread seems needed for general Gator fan banter... :cool:

In my own feeble mind, they began the season around #20, maybe a little higher depending on the available personnel.. My own ranking is/was based on my own speculation and opinions, not on beating CS.
=====

What's #6 Wash still doing in the Top 10, after getting waxed by former #25 LSU?
Wash only drops down 3 to #9 while LSU jumps from #25 up to #11.
So, loser Wash stays in the Top 10, while winner LSU is still not in the Top 10.... WTF??? :confused:

Note: Any rankiing prior to Oct 1st are pretty meaningless anyway... :cool:
I think it was because in the initial rankings both Washington & Auburn were in the Top 10, while LSU started out #25. So theoretically Washington lost to a much higher-quality opponent and thus shouldn't drop much. LSU did jump the most of any Top 25 team by beating #8. Rankings prior to midseason are pretty much popularity contests anyway because nobody knows how good any of these teams really are until they've played numerous games.

I understand, and I don't disagree with what you say.

What it shows me is likely how far off the media-morons were on their pre-season poll. o_O

Now they can't make a large enough adjustment that makes sense in their 2nd poll. :confused:

Again, typical of them imo... :cool:

We both agree that it takes until after Halloween has past, for the polls to begin to function in even a sorta 'reasonable' manner.
==============

In 2016, my freshman was Lamical Perine.
In 2017, my freshnan was Malik Davis.
For 2018, my freshman was/is Dameon Pierce.

“DP’s a hard guy,” sophomore defensive tackle T.J. Slaton said. “We call him a grown man because he’s an 18-year-old kid and runs harder than anybody that we’ve ever played against."
That's 3 for 3 imo, on my most recent freshman picks.... ;)

With ALL of the cylinders so full, this guy is unlikely to get much of a chance to play in 2018, however...
Ath Jaylin Jackson 5-8 171 (QB-dt, WR, CB, RB, PR) P-WO -- My 'dark-horse' for 2018.
But he's too short and too light weight to play in the SEC. Now, go review the history of Audie Murphy....

The phrase 'The size of the fight in the dog' was exemplified by 5'5" Murphy....
And while I'm not saying that Jaylin is an Audie, very few ever are, I think he could be at SEC football levels... :cool:

Last edited:
Washington played Auburn. Not LSU.
LSU beat Miami.

=====

What's #6 Wash still doing in the Top 10, after getting waxed by former #25 LSU?
Wash only drops down 3 to #9 while LSU jumps from #25 up to #11.
So, loser Wash stays in the Top 10, while winner LSU is still not in the Top 10.... WTF??? :confused:

Note: Any rankiing prior to Oct 1st are pretty meaningless anyway... :cool:

Reactions: instaGATOR
You wan to run the ball down somebodies throat, then try this lineup

82. TE Moral Stephens 6-4 247 rsSr
72. LT Stone Forsythe 6-7 323 rsSo
56. LG Jean DeLance 6-4 313 rsSo
61. OC Brett Heggie 6-4 314 rsSo
67. RG Chris Bleich 6-6 321 Fr
65. RT Jawaan Taylor 6-5 328 Jr

81. TE Dante Lang 6-5 253 Fr (on LB'ers)
Alternating - 2 TE's or a FB and 1 TE
45. FB R.J. Raymond 6-2 249 rsSr (on LB'ers)

22. RB Lamical Perine 5-11 227 Jr
Alternating
29. RB Dameon Pierce 5-10 216 Fr

84. WR Kyle Pitts 6-6 246 Fr (on LB and/or SS)
16. WR Freddie Swain 6-0 199 Jr (on DB's)

11. QB Kyle Trask 6-5 234 rsSo

Yeah, it's 'outside the box' alright... :cool:
But I'm betting that would work well in the run-option sets as a 'package.'
~ Not that I'm ever likely to see that lineup in a game... :rolleyes:

You wan to run the ball down somebodies throat, then try this lineup

82. TE Moral Stephens 6-4 247 rsSr
72. LT Stone Forsythe 6-7 323 rsSo
56. LG Jean DeLance 6-4 313 rsSo
61. OC Brett Heggie 6-4 314 rsSo
67. RG Chris Bleich 6-6 321 Fr
65. RT Jawaan Taylor 6-5 328 Jr

81. TE Dante Lang 6-5 253 Fr (on LB'ers)
Alternating - 2 TE's or a FB and 1 TE
45. FB R.J. Raymond 6-2 249 rsSr (on LB'ers)

22. RB Lamical Perine 5-11 227 Jr
Alternating
29. RB Dameon Pierce 5-10 216 Fr

84. WR Kyle Pitts 6-6 246 Fr (on LB and/or SS)
16. WR Freddie Swain 6-0 199 Jr (on DB's)

11. QB Kyle Trask 6-5 234 rsSo

Yeah, it's 'outside the box' alright... :cool:
But I'm betting that would work well in the run-option sets as a 'package.'
~ Not that I'm ever likely to see that lineup in a game... :rolleyes:

What evidence do you have of Trask being the better run option QB?

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

The #8 Gator volleyball team dropped to 4-3 on the year after a 3-2 loss to NORTHERN ARIZONA last night!! They had beaten Cal. State, Northridge earlier in the day 3-0. They play Southern Illinois at noon today to conclude a 3-game stint to the Lumberjack Invitational in Flagstaff, AZ. And our soccer team fell to 2-4-1 after losing Friday night at FSU 1-0. This is the 5th straight match the soccer team has failed to score. In the 7 soccer games played this year, our ladies have scored a total of 6 goals, with 4 of them coming in the 2nd match against FAU. These are 2 normally very reliable sports that usually get our athletic program off to solid starts for the academic year. Very disappointing so far.

Gator soccer team is losing 3-0 in the first half to 1-2-1 UCF in Orlando. This is probably the worst UF soccer team in its history, Confusing because we have a lot of returning players from last year and had a solid recruiting class. They simply can't score.

For any rival trolls, list all of the SEC Ladies Soccer teams that have ever won a NC?
(hint: it won't take you very long)

Reactions: ocalaman
Well, the latest news on the team being affected by the coaches decisions.

They kept 4 time (off the field) loser Scarlett (3.6 ypc vs UK) and so Lemons 19 for 136, 7.2 ypc is again going to xfer out. Thank you for that fine choice... :rolleyes:

Now, keep on playing Scarlett while leaving 9.4 ypc Pierce on the bench... :mad:

Pitiful little attention beggar, kinda sad really, but here ya go,,, yet again.
Here to foul up yet another thread with his always village idiot smelly crap.

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

I'm kind of embarrassed by Becky Burleigh and the UF soccer program. They were losing to UCF 3-0 at halftime Sunday when the match was delayed and then postponed by lightning. They were scheduled to finish the game at 1 pm today. But it's being reported that Florida would not agree to finish the original game, but to insisted they start over and play an entire new game. UCF relented and played a full 90 minute game Monday, beating UF 3-0. Se we played UCF for 1 1/2 games over Sunday & Monday and they outscored us 6-0. Our ladies have not scored a single goal in SIX straight matches.

This has got to be in their heads at this point, much like a hitting slump in baseball can get into the players head(s)....

At some point, they will break out and have a 5-10 goal game and the mental slump will be ended. GooooGators.

On to my weekly football pet-peeve.... :mad:

Perine 4 for 8.5 ypc
Toney 2 for 5.0 y[c
Davis 4 for 3.8 ypc
Combined 10 for 59 yds, 5.9 ypc

Franks 11 for 4.0 ypc
Scarlett 7 for 3.6 ypc <<< lowest ypc of the 5 runners.
Combined 18 for 69 yds, 3.8 ypc

While 9.4 ypc Pierce sat on the freakin' bench...
So it's obviously on the OL, not on Franks/Scarlett/Coaches

Additional Peeve:

Letting 44% Franks kill the game with 39 passing plays to just 28 runs, (that's bad enough) but then with only 10 of the runs being by the most productive runners. :mad:-:eek:-:mad:

Then everyone blaming the OL for that STUPID CHIT! o_O

#11 UF Volleyball team beat FSU in Tallahassee Wednesday night 3-1 to improve their record to 6-3. The Gators lost to 2 Top 5 teams + in the home gym at Northern Arizona, but I have confidence Mary Wise has her team getting better as the season goes along.

Men's Golf finishes 13th at the Carpet Capital Collegiate.

However, Women's Golf Takes Home the Cougar Classic Title.

This is the 3rd time in the 15 years of the Cougar Classic the Gators have won the event.

And after making history last spring, winning two of her first 3 events as a Gator, Sierra Brooks makes history again with the lowest round score in tournament history en route to taking home her first title of the 2018-19 season.

Now daze,,, ya-gotta take your Gator Good News, wherever you can find it... :cool:

Last edited:
UF's volleyball team improved their record to 9-3 with wins Friday over Jacksonville 3-1 & FIU 3-0, and today over Army 3-1.

UF' soccer team scored their first goal in 678 minutes of playing time with 12 minutes left in their Sunday match with Vanderbilt. It tied the score at 1-1. I guess they were so excited they forgot they were supposed to try to win the game because a defensive lapse with 2 minutes left allowed Vandy score and beat the Gators 2-1 for the Commodores 1st win in soccer over UF since 1997!!. Gators fall to 2-6-1 on the year. We are heading towards the first losing season in program history.

IF the OL takes a crap on ole sloppy-drop, here's what I'd try @ MsSt.:

LT Stone Forsythe 6-7 323 rsSo -- Noah Banks 6-5 309 rsJr

LG Martez Ivey 6-5 306 Sr -- Jean Delance 6-4 313 rsSo

OC Brett Heggie 6-4 314 rsSo -- Nick Buchanan 6-3 291 rsJr

RG Kavaris Harkless 6-4 305 rsSr -- T.J. McCoy 6-1 305 rsJr

RT Jawaan Taylor 6-5 328 Jr -- Chris Bleich 6-6 321 Fr

I might even change them out whole-sale from one possession to the next.
The first five, then replace them the next time with the other five.
See who really wants to be on the field, and who is just taking up space. o_O

RG Fred Johnson and LG Tyler Jordan can pass around the Gator-Aid. :rolleyes:
50/50 players at best, and usually good for at least 1 false start, hold, or misalignment.
Too often they've become 'lack of focus' drive killers... :confused:
But as always, jmoho's...

Friday, September 21, 2018
Gators Host Mountain Dew Invitational Saturday Morning

Florida hosts only home cross country meet of the season at Mark Bostick Golf Course.

The Florida men's and women's cross country teams will welcome nearly 30 collegiate programs for the Mountain Dew Invitational, which is scheduled for Saturday (Sept. 22) morning at the university's Mark Bostick Golf Course.

A good chance this will be better watching than the Saturday night football game...

https://floridagators.com/news/2018...untain-dew-invitational-saturday-morning.aspx

September 22, 2018
Gators claim three doubles titles on Day 2 of UVA Masters

2018 Doubles All-American honorees McClain Kessler and Duarte Vale win their first tournament as a pair. Gators take home 3 doubles Championships at UVA Masters.

Florida advances 2 into the semifinals of the singles' draw in Charlottesville. Cacciatore twins advance to semifinals of the Gamecock Fall Invite doubles draw.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va./COLUMBIA, S.C.– Florida's doubles' pairs found success in Virginia on Saturday morning. The Gators are bringing home three championships from the doubles draws at the UVA Masters. Florida will have a chance to pick up two more championships on Sunday in the singles draw at UVA and the doubles draw of the Gamecock Fall Invitational.

~ Gator Tennis is kickin' some butts... :cool:

https://floridagators.com/news/2018...e-doubles-titles-on-day-2-of-uva-masters.aspx

Sunday afternoon UF volleyball improved to 11-3, 2-0 in the SEC with an easy 3-0 win over Mississippi State. Meanwhile, the UF soccer team won their 2nd straight by scoring 3 2nd half goals to beat LSU 4-1, improving their SEC record to 2-1, overall record to 4-6-1.

Through 4 games:
Pierce is the Gators' leading rusher with 228 yards on 21 carries,10.7 YPC.

Pierce ------- 7 for 63 yds, 9.0 ypc, L-47 (TD) - SEC Fr PoW
Chandler - 19 for 66 yds, 3.5 ypc. -- (team 54 for 156 yds, 2.9 ypc)

iG's picks to stand out as Gator true Fr:
2016 Lamical Perine
2017 Malik Davis
2018 Dameon Pierce - (SEC Week-4 Fr PoW)
Looks like 3 for 3 to me... ;)

IMO, Franks 'statistical' improvement is due mostly to coaching and play calling.
The Gator's continue to win 'in spite of Franks,' not because of him.
The solid running game and the defense are how they are winning the games. o_O

Franks is 10th in the SEC in intermediate passing completion percentage (10-19 yards) and his accuracy numbers are decent but deceptive, thanks to a 33-for-37 accuracy mark on throws at or behind the line of scrimmage. The same for his TD/Int Ratio. About half of his TD's are on throws of 10 yds or less, several were 5 yds or less. :cool:

Normally those are rushing TD's, but the coach is padding his passing stats to both build his confidence, and to justify starting him. But as always, JMOHO of course.... (And it's working,,, at least Dan hasn't woke up with a horse head in his bed yet) ;) -- :D

On Dan's relationship with QB Feleipe Franks: We rely a lot on our QB. We have to play to the QBs strengths, that’s a coach’s responsibility, especially at that position. we have learned what he handles well, what he doesn’t and we try to put him in a position to be successful (33-for-37 on throws at or behind the line of scrimmage)

Even so, with a 6-1 record and a Top 10 ranking, it's pretty hard to fault the coaching decisions so far.... The good with the bad. They did reduce Franks and Scarlett's rush attempts per game, (btw, grats to Scarlett on his large off the field improvements).
* SEC RB standings in yds after contact: #2 JS, #5 LP.

They are using TE Stephens more and better. They have moved TE Raymond to FB on some good play calls. By and large, the coaching decisions are adapting and making progress, along with the rest of the team. --- GoooooooGATORS! :)

Franks' overall QBR is 143.19, 6th in the SEC. As a team the offense is 10th in the SEC in total offense, 9th in rushing offense and 11th in passing offense, 6th in Points Per Game. Nationally we ranked 66th in total offense, 22nd in total defense. We rank 90th in passing offense, 39th in rushing offense, 35th in scoring offense. We rank 73rd in rushing defense, 6th in passing defense, 15th in scoring defense, 7th in turnover margin. Franks, to me, is much improved over last year and part of that is obviously better play calling. However, the O-line is still pretty bad in pass protection, so to have that type of rating is pretty impressive to me. I don't think Mullen is "padding" his stats to build his confidence and justify starting him. Those flair/flat passes and bubble screens actually work a good percentage of time and considering how little time he has to get rid of the ball, those passes help avoid sacks and rushed throws that result in interceptions. Plus it puts our skills guys in one on one situations and gives them a chance for a big play. Franks clearly is the best QB on the team this year. Otherwise someone else would be playing. And we are 6-1. The players rally around him and it seems like he has their respect. This team is more united and playing harder than teams in recent years. And Franks is their offensive leader so should get some of the credit.

Last edited:
#1 Coaches, and the rest of the staff. (A+)
#2 Special Teams (A)
#3 Defense, especially pass-D.(B+)
#4 Offense, mostly RB's and OL improvement. (B-,,, only 9 sacks)

Everybody get's 'some' of the credit, including Franks, as a 6-1 team. (B+)

Last edited:
However, the O-line is still pretty bad in pass protection,

I was reading at SDS this morning and found this.

Florida’s offensive line started slowly this season, but the re-emergence of guard Brett Heggie has been a revelation for the Gators, who have been dominant on the ground and protected Franks quite well during the team’s four-game winning streak.

Florida limited Mississippi State’s dominant front to 1 sack and blanked the same LSU front that whipped Georgia for 60 minutes two weeks ago. All told, the Gators have allowed only 1.2 sacks per game, which ranks 20th best in the country, and only 2 sacks since the return of LG Heggie, who has given the unit needed athleticism. -- SDS

I was reading at SDS this morning and found this.

Florida’s offensive line started slowly this season, but the re-emergence of guard Brett Heggie has been a revelation for the Gators, who have been dominant on the ground and protected Franks quite well during the team’s four-game winning streak.

Florida limited Mississippi State’s dominant front to 1 sack and blanked the same LSU front that whipped Georgia for 60 minutes two weeks ago. All told, the Gators have allowed only 1.2 sacks per game, which ranks 20th best in the country, and only 2 sacks since the return of LG Heggie, who has given the unit needed athleticism. -- SDS
I agree there's been improvement, especially in run blocking. But play calling has limited the number of sacks, IMO, plus Franks' improvement in getting rid of the ball. A good percentage of our passing plays are quick throws, limiting opportunities for sacks. The interior O-line has done a better job of pass protection, but our tackles get beat regularly on tghe edge. And I agree that Heggie makes a difference. We are averaging 5.1 yards per rushing attempt, which is up from 4.3 last year. We're, also, averaging 7.7 yards per passing attempt, which is from 6.3 last year. So even though we're not throwing it downfield as often we're getting better production this year than last in both areas. Better coaching, better play calling and better execution from all the players involved. It seems the entire team is in better condition and is more resilient than they've been in years.

Agree ocala. :)

My biggest worry is the SEC officials and their incompetent and/or biased calls. :mad:

Hopefully, because of the size of the audience, they will have to do a good/fair job of it. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT