ADVERTISEMENT

How bout them Rangers

I was rooting for the Rangers because they have never won a WS, but they ain't the best team in the league. World Series determines a champion, and regular season determines who the best teams are and they ain't always the same especially with a very convoluted mlb post season methodology.

Reactions: nail1988
I was rooting for the Rangers because they have never won a WS, but they ain't the best team in the league. World Series determines a champion, and regular season determines who the best teams are and they ain't always the same especially with a very convoluted mlb post season methodology.
First team to win 11 in a row on the road, they got hot when it counted going 13-4 in the post season. They won last night without their best bat as well.

That's how sports work...it's who is playing the best at the end of the season.

This is right, the best team rarely wins the championship in baseball. And we almost never get the two best teams in the world series.

I think anybody who is in the playoffs can win the whole thing because it's the nature of the game. My problem with mlb is who gets in. I think almost half of mlb making the playoffs is too many, but of course money and tv rule the day.
You also have a system that doesn't even get in all the best teams. So the Mariners and Blue Jays, who both won more games than the Twins get to stay home while the Twins make the playoffs as a division winner, playing in the worst division in baseball while the Blue Jays played in the best. I hate how divisions are used for entrance or seeding into the playoffs.

Reactions: NavigatorII

Last night, the best team in baseball won. Period. I understand what you are saying, but this Rangers team was out of this world. It's a long season. Lots can and does happen with illness, injuries, how one team stacks up against another... But this team was the best.

Reactions: fatman76

Last night, the best team in baseball won. Period. I understand what you are saying, but this Rangers team was out of this world. It's a long season. Lots can and does happen with illness, injuries, how one team stacks up against another... But this team was the best.
Correct...it's how sports work in general.

Performance is related to timing - you can be the most dominant NFL team all year long and lose the Super Bowl (ask the Bills, a favorite in 91 and lost the SB by 1 point). That doesn't mean the "best team lost" because they couldn't get the W when it was needed the most. No one today looks back at that 4 year run like that was some epic dynasty...they're known for choking on the biggest stage.

Any excuses or whining about "the best team" is loser talk. If that's how it worked why even have playoffs and championships? Just play the regular season and hand the trophy to the team with the best record.

I guess you guys have never seen the NCAA basketball tourney where arguments about the tourney winner and who the best team is have been taking place for decades.
So if your belief system is that the champion is always the best team, then that's your belief system but it ain't mine. To me, the best team doesn't always win the championship.

I want to see the laughter you get if you're try to convince knowlegable college basketball fans that Jimmy Valvano's NC State team was the best team in college basketball after upsetting Phi Slamma Gamma. NCAA champion, yes. Best team, no.

I think most sports fans would agree with the premise that the best teams dont always win the championship. If you do, so be it.

The reason we HAVE championships after the regular season is BECAUSE the best team doesn't always win. I said I was rooting for the rangers but I'm sorry I hurt somebody's feelings by not thinking they are the best team. Be glad the rangers aren't in the AL east where they wouldn't even make the playoffs.

Last edited:
I guess you guys have never seen the NCAA basketball tourney where arguments about the tourney winner and who the best team is have been taking place for decades.
So if your belief system is that the champion is always the best team, then that's your belief system but it ain't mine. To me, the best team doesn't always win the championship.

I want to see the laughter you get if you're try to convince knowlegable college basketball fans that Jimmy Valvano's NC State team was the best team in college basketball after upsetting Phi Slamma Gamma. NCAA champion, yes. Best team, no.

I think most sports fans would agree with the premise that the best teams dont always win the championship. If you do, so be it.

The reason we HAVE championships after the regular season is BECAUSE the best team doesn't always win. I said I was rooting for the rangers but I'm sorry I hurt somebody's feelings by not thinking they are the best team. Be glad the rangers aren't in the AL east where they wouldn't even make the playoffs.
This same thing happens in the NFL as well. When you get 5 barking dogs in a single division, one of them is going to the playoff regardless. I believe one year Arizona made it to the Superbowl with an 8-8 regular season record. That just ain't right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT