ADVERTISEMENT

HOOP SCOOP: Emerging targets, four-star forward visiting & more basketball tidbits

Russ Wood

Bull Gator
Staff
Oct 12, 2011
Florida
Since Thursday morning I've been in Orlando for the AAU Super Showcase. This is the final "live" period for July and I saw someone from the Gators staff Thursday and Friday but not yet today.

Assistant Darris Nichols and head coach Mike White have been in Orlando. Each time Alabama Challenge played (4-stars Herb Jones & Rayshaun Hammonds) Nichols or White watched. Jones told me that Florida State, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Western Kentucky are schools that he knows that he wants to visit. Absent from that list is Alabama (where Jones is from). While Jones did not say it directly, the impression I got was that Alabama didn't stay consistent with their push for him and it turned him off from the program.

Rayshaun Hammonds swears he's open then mentioned Florida, Texas, Georgia, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech and Alabama are schools that are "looking at him real hard".

Ohio 2018 forward Darius Bazley told me that he will be taking an unofficial visit to UF soon as part of his mother's vacation, he wasn't sure of the date but seemed to think it would be in the next couple of weeks.

Massachusetts 2018 SG Cormac Ryan has gone from "who is that" to a legitimate four-star, Top 75 type of prospect in Orlando this week. You can read my thoughts about how he played on Thursday here:

Saturday morning Ryan had 31 points, made five 3-pointers and dunked on a kid. I anticipate a Florida offer coming soon, possibly Monday.

White spent some time in Miami watching Anfernee Simons who is playing really well I'm told by a scout at that event.

Assistant coaches Dusty May and Jordan Mincy are in Las Vegas where Colin Sexton, among others are playing. May will head to Canada to see 2017 commit Shai Alexander before the live period ends.

The Gators are chasing bigs to compliment Alexander and Ballard in the 2017 class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News