ADVERTISEMENT

Have they fired Charlie yet????

Then tell me again how Charlie's problems are due to things Mack Brown did years ago.

And when you guys are finished defending him, you can get back to bashing Mac, who is 16-5 and working on back-to-back division titles.

or get back to explaining how Meyer didn't leave the program "broken" as he said in his own words for Will...

Wtf are you people talking about? If you're not going to address what I post then don't quote it. I don't speak for Michi and he doesn't speak for me. I've not a single time called for Mac's head and I don't think Strong should be fired either. Some inconsistency.

what do you mean "you people"

racist

Reactions: instaGATOR
It's just annoying having to defend perceived slights. Address what I post, not what you think I'm saying or grouping my thoughts in with Michi's.

Funny thing is I've even said I'd be fine with Mac playing one of the younger QB's this year to get experience and play for next year. Losses would obviously be expected. Which would basically be what Texas is doing now. I'm such a hypocrite though.

He is being judged by his own players? They're one of the 5 youngest teams in the country. How many teams don't lose games with a true freshman QB? Put another way, if Mac had to start Jake Allen next year what would your expectation for the season be?
I'm pretty sure UF is also one of the 5-10 youngest teams in the nation.

Again...so?

Y'all brought UF into this convo. I'm not calling for Mac's head either. If your point is we're young and Texas is young too, well awesome. I think both coaches are doing a good job all things considered. Thanks for pointing out my consistency I guess.

What makes you think Strong is doing a "good job?"

He's gone 6-7, 5-7 and currently sitting at 4-4.

That's 15-18 and only 11-12 in conference.

And the excuse is that his team is young and Texas boosters aren't fair so Charlie can't win?

What makes you think Strong is doing a "good job?"

He's gone 6-7, 5-7 and currently sitting at 4-4.

That's 15-18 and only 11-12 in conference.

And the excuse is that his team is young and Texas boosters aren't fair so Charlie can't win?

Everybody who has watched that team acknowledges that they have some of the most talented underclassmen in the country. They haven't had a QB since McCoy in 09' and now with a true freshman at QB they've improved in offense from being in the 100's to being in the top 30. At a minimum he's restacked their roster to where it should be including getting their next stud QB. .

He's also made staff changes to fix weaknesses, see offense. He took over playcalling the defense and they've been better there too in the last few weeks. They have another good class coming in too. Put all that together and I think he's done a good job. Notice I didn't say excellent or great or anything like that, but good. Personally if he makes a bowl game I think they should keep him. Next year with that QB and in year two of that offense they should be better. At that point if he doesn't win 10 games then by all means fire him because he wouldn't have any excuses at that point. Mature, talented team with depth. Win or gtfo. Not seeing what's so outrageous about that opinion.

Charlie was left a roater with ZERO NFL talent. Mac inherited a defense with NFL talent two deep. The circumstances are not remotely similar. They will fire Charlie and that will make you all feel better. And I don't have a soft spot for any HBC with a defensive background.

Now, Mac. I can"t jump on yet because its feasible we go to ATL but lose to LSU, FSU and Bama in consecutive weeks again. And I, not oozie, think we are in trouble next year. Mac's weakness is his recruiting, his jr high OC and LDR. We will not win big with LDR and he is hitting a point where next year will start with LDR or a guy who has never taken a snap, so we will give him a pass again next year??? Mac needs to win a few big games down the stretch here.

Folly "Heard the fans wanted offense so thats what he got." Well, it hasn't arrived yet. All the QBs on this roster are his. We did what we had to do yesterday to win. But at some point he has to not rely so heavily on the defense. If I were to guess now I would say Mac is a 9-10 win guy a year, I do not think he has the CEO and recruiting skills to be elite. Time will tell. But if he brings Nuss back next year I will not feel bad for him if he gets fired. Nuss is flat out terrible. Why do you think Saban had Kiffin on campus before he let Nuss go???

If we were willing to give Muschamp a year #4 after what he did to this program in year #3, then Charlie Strong deserves one more year by all means. Remember we lost to freaking Georgia Southern and failed to go to a bowl game for the first time in like 30 years that year, and yet we brought Muschamp back for one more go around.

I hated the Muschamp hire from day 1 and even with him I didn't jump off the bandwagon until very late in year 3. When we lost to South Carolina by attempting a fake punt thrown to our backup defensive tackle that's when I finally said "hey this isn't going to work." I've always been down with giving coaches time as long as there's consistent improvement and there aren't a bunch of dumb in-game coaching decisions happening that lets you know a guy doesn't get it. That doesn't mean I can't want change in the meantime though, like replacing Nord, Nuss, possibly Summers, etc. That's not remotely the same as calling for the coaches head.

If we were willing to give Muschamp a year #4 after what he did to this program in year #3, then Charlie Strong deserves one more year by all means. Remember we lost to freaking Georgia Southern and failed to go to a bowl game for the first time in like 30 years that year, and yet we brought Muschamp back for one more go around.

Honestly though, I think that had more to do with an ADs pride rather than a sound football decision

Charlie was left a roater with ZERO NFL talent. Mac inherited a defense with NFL talent two deep. The circumstances are not remotely similar. They will fire Charlie and that will make you all feel better. And I don't have a soft spot for any HBC with a defensive background.

sighhhh

My admiration for BOOM is no secret, but it was fairly obvious to me that the team had lost confidence in him very early into his final year. They didn't seem to be playing as a cohesive unit, and the effort was sorely lacking. I believe that team confidence in a coach and respect for his staff are two of the most important signals to monitor when trying to determine a coach's fate.

I don't see the same situation with Strong's team(if this is his final year). They really seem to genuinely like playing for him and don't seem to have relinquished any effort at all. Even after falling behind to more experienced Baylor team they never quit and somehow pulled off the upset.

Mac has still yet to have one of his QB's or even really a good one and he's 16-5 at UF to start, that's not possible to complain about for anyone... and he already owns UGA which is a great sign.. Like i've said countless times, I want to see this offense when he has a top ranked QB running the offense, hell the offense and play calling did look better yesterday once the run game finally had some life to open up some plays in the passing game... there were SO many plays that we had guys running wide open and perfect calls for the situations that del rio missed... This offense would be just fine and actually REALLY good if it had an even just good QB in it. I do like how we didn't just run the ball with the lead yesterday and mixed in more passes to keep UGA in a base defense in the 2nd half from it, they changed it up since that UT loss.. the coaching yesterday was excellent and since it was the last game and most recent that's all I can go off of against a team with more talent than us in many positions. We have some very good young players on defense we just need to recruit some more, Rumph absolutely found a GEM in Zuniga, he's a really good coach.

I like Strong but he hasn't done a good job at Texas IMO. It wasn't a good fit.

Mac has still yet to have one of his QB's or even really a good one and he's 16-5 at UF to start, that's not possible to complain about for anyone... and he already owns UGA which is a great sign.. Like i've said countless times, I want to see this offense when he has a top ranked QB running the offense, hell the offense and play calling did look better yesterday once the run game finally had some life to open up some plays in the passing game... there were SO many plays that we had guys running wide open and perfect calls for the situations that del rio missed... This offense would be just fine and actually REALLY good if it had an even just good QB in it. I do like how we didn't just run the ball with the lead yesterday and mixed in more passes to keep UGA in a base defense in the 2nd half from it, they changed it up since that UT loss.. the coaching yesterday was excellent and since it was the last game and most recent that's all I can go off of against a team with more talent than us in many positions. We have some very good young players on defense we just need to recruit some more, Rumph absolutely found a GEM in Zuniga, he's a really good coach.

The offense would take a step with better players for sure which is why I keep saying we need to recruit better. We've done really good attracting skill players (surprisingly) and now we just need to get numbers and quality on oline and a QB. I still don't know what we have there. Two freshmen are unproven honestly and Allen doesn't put up impressive numbers despite playing on a stacked team. I think we get LDR again next year but when we do get that QB I agree everything else will take care of it self.

Wouldn't agree coaching was excellent yesterday though, not on offense anyway. Nuss numerous times showed zero feel for the game with his calls. Yea LDR was off and missed throws but a lot of the calls were downright dumb too. Stretch plays to short side of the field (yes I know this is a good call sometimes because of numbers weakside), playaction reverses, etc. And then continuing to throw when we had a 2-score lead AND our QB was off? Doubly dumb. I want us to air it out more than anybody but you gotta be aware of situations. Our run game and defense saved our OC and QB from themselves.

Wouldn't agree coaching was excellent yesterday though, not on offense anyway. Nuss numerous times showed zero feel for the game with his calls.

Was thinking the same thing on several plays. That said, the Callaway jet sweep was a brilliant call and flawlessly executed.

I also thought the RB sometimes did not choose their holes well and often did not hit the holes explosively.

Was thinking the same thing on several plays. That said, the Callaway jet sweep was a brilliant call and flawlessly executed.

I also thought the RB sometimes did not choose their holes well and often did not hit the holes explosively.

Agree. Jet sweep was well timed. Probably one of a handful of plays we called that I really liked. That was a ground it out type game and we almost botched that. The one drive where UGA went 3 and out with three straight passes and we came back out and threw on 2/3 downs when we needed to burn clock made me throw some chit. Awful series of calls.

After getting into coaching on the offensive side of the ball, I've learned that there is no harder job in football than calling plays and open for more criticism with how many plays you call a game and the circumstances.. Many things can happen to make the coaching look bad, miscommunication from any single player or the QB and it can all go wrong, or a check at the line. Compared to what I've been watching on offense, I was just fine with how it was called yesterday. There were guys open a lot

The offense would take a step with better players for sure which is why I keep saying we need to recruit better. We've done really good attracting skill players (surprisingly) and now we just need to get numbers and quality on oline and a QB. I still don't know what we have there. Two freshmen are unproven honestly and Allen doesn't put up impressive numbers despite playing on a stacked team. I think we get LDR again next year but when we do get that QB I agree everything else will take care of it self.

Wouldn't agree coaching was excellent yesterday though, not on offense anyway. Nuss numerous times showed zero feel for the game with his calls. Yea LDR was off and missed throws but a lot of the calls were downright dumb too. Stretch plays to short side of the field (yes I know this is a good call sometimes because of numbers weakside), playaction reverses, etc. And then continuing to throw when we had a 2-score lead AND our QB was off? Doubly dumb. I want us to air it out more than anybody but you gotta be aware of situations. Our run game and defense saved our OC and QB from themselves.

I still think playing with statue QBs makes it so that EVERY thing else has to be perfect. Look what we did to Eason yesterday with a fast defense. I thunk it is getting harder amd harder to win with that type of QB. I am not saying it won't work out, but if you look at the top moat of those teams use very athletic QBs. Look how much better we looked with Grier.

Yea, we did not run Grier on a lot of designed plays, but he has some nice wheels when he scrambled.

I still think playing with statue QBs makes it so that EVERY thing else has to be perfect. Look what we did to Eason yesterday with a fast defense. I thunk it is getting harder amd harder to win with that type of QB. I am not saying it won't work out, but if you look at the top moat of those teams use very athletic QBs. Look how much better we looked with Grier.

For sure. I don't have to have a Tebow but you gotta have somebody who can pick up yards every now and then and maybe even freeze the defense on a designed run to slow that pass rush. In college there are gonna be breakdowns, usually a lot of em, so you need a guy who can save those plays. Otherwise you get sacks or throwaways and get behind the chains.

well only 2 to 3 teams in college period have a defense like ours on a yearly basis and their OL was the reason it went like that for him.. he will shred many teams in the coming years because he's an NFL QB, spread offenses don't seem to work very well against our defense either or any offenses for that matter on a yearly basis.

If Jimbo goes to LSU, FSU should give Strong some consideration. He knows how to recruit in Florida, if nothing else.

It's hard to gauge his HC career because he had Bridgewater the entire time he was an HC at Louisville. Hell, while we're at it, look at Al Golden. Mark Richt is proving that Golden wasn't all that bad.

If Jimbo goes to LSU, FSU should give Strong some consideration. He knows how to recruit in Florida, if nothing else.

It's hard to gauge his HC career because he had Bridgewater the entire time he was an HC at Louisville. Hell, while we're at it, look at Al Golden. Mark Richt is proving that Golden wasn't all that bad.

You can say that about a lot of coaches though...having that one great QB.

Plus, it's not like Bridgewater was some known big time QB. A lot of schools recruited him as a receiver and wouldn't even give him a chance to play QB. And I've said it before, but Strong recruited and developed really well. Louisville had a lot of players drafted over the past few years and most of those were low ranked kids that tons of big schools passed on, so you gotta give him the credit for having a good eye for talent.

Thing is, there are some coaches who come in and win instantly and then others where you get a slow build up, I think Strong is the latter. Louisville didn't take off until year 3 under him. And I think that's what's gonna get him in trouble at Texas. When he first got there he kicked close to 20 players off the team most of them upperclassmen. If he had those players he probably makes a bowl game the first two years and there isn't as much heat, but he chose to go the full rebuild route. That might cost him his job because schools like Texas won't be as patient as Louisville will.

I don't disagree with the posters who want a QB that can run when needed.

I honestly think Franks will be the QB y'all and myself want. However he just wasn't ready yet. He wasn't. Doesn't mean he won't be ready after two springs and a full season of shirting. The spring game last year proved he needed work. So far from reports he is progressing pretty good. We will know more by the end of this upcoming spring.

Just hold tight. Right now we are managing wins with what we have and with what is ready. I'd take that on gambling with a QB who isn't/wasn't ready. Two more SEC wins and we make Atlanta. No matter the outcome, playing that type of quality plus playing that extra game goes a long way into the next season. Especially with the youth we use on offense.

I don't disagree with the posters who want a QB that can run when needed.

I honestly think Franks will be the QB y'all and myself want. :confused:

However he just wasn't ready yet. He wasn't. Doesn't mean he won't be ready after two springs and a full season of shirting. The spring game last year proved he needed work. So far from reports he is progressing pretty good. We will know more by the end of this upcoming spring.

Just hold tight. Right now we are managing wins with what we have and with what is ready. I'd take that on gambling with a QB who isn't/wasn't ready. Two more SEC wins and we make Atlanta. No matter the outcome, playing that type of quality plus playing that extra game goes a long way into the next season. Especially with the youth we use on offense.

6-4 238 4.6/40
6-6 218 4.8/40
Which do you believe might be the better at running when needed, and surviving the hits that will be delivered when he does?

Of the 2 above QB's.
One has a history of throwing for over 72% with ZERO Ints.
The other is,,, well,,, let's just say not nearly as efficient. :oops:

Both/either can zing it deep with no trouble, but one is a lot more accurate when he does. o_O

But hey, they make the calls, while we just argue with each other and bitch about the calls that they make.... ;)

You can say that about a lot of coaches though...having that one great QB.

Plus, it's not like Bridgewater was some known big time QB. A lot of schools recruited him as a receiver and wouldn't even give him a chance to play QB. And I've said it before, but Strong recruited and developed really well. Louisville had a lot of players drafted over the past few years and most of those were low ranked kids that tons of big schools passed on, so you gotta give him the credit for having a good eye for talent.

Thing is, there are some coaches who come in and win instantly and then others where you get a slow build up, I think Strong is the latter. Louisville didn't take off until year 3 under him. And I think that's what's gonna get him in trouble at Texas. When he first got there he kicked close to 20 players off the team most of them upperclassmen. If he had those players he probably makes a bowl game the first two years and there isn't as much heat, but he chose to go the full rebuild route. That might cost him his job because schools like Texas won't be as patient as Louisville will.

Good analysis. If Jimbo gets jumpy, at least there are decent alternatives out there.

Hi every one I am a longhorn fan , I am a lot like most of you TEXAS needs to give Strong his 5 years to fix Browns shit pile of a team.He had no QB on his team when he got here their were no NFL type players on the team,Yes he has been struggling for wins but I really belive he is a
bout to turn it around.Strong IS a fine coach he care,s for his players and they love him ,and he has two good recuiting class,s one more good class and he will win a lot of games in the future
HOOK,EM HORN Coach Strong

That might cost him his job because schools like Texas won't be as patient as Louisville will.
This is true, but Strong is a C+ level recruiter. He excelled at Louisville with cast offs from the Big 3 programs in Florida....and never really built a solid recruiting foundation at Texas. Charlie Strong is not the guy to dig Florida out of its hole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT