ADVERTISEMENT

Gun Control Capital UPDATE

djegators

Bull Gator
Dec 6, 2008
Chicago is both the Gun Control leader and the murder leader in the US....intellectually honest people are not in the least bit surprised.

3-year-old boy among 13 injured in shooting at Chicago park

(CNN) -- A mass shooting at a Chicago park left a
3-year-old boy in critical condition and returned the spotlight to gun
violence in the city with the nation's highest number of homicides.

The child was among 13
people shot in Cornell Square Park on the city's South Side late
Thursday night. None of the other victims were listed in critical
condition early Friday.

The January shooting death of another child, 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton,
brought national attention to Chicago because the band majorette had
performed in Washington at events surrounding President Barack Obama's
inauguration in January.

The president invited Pendleton's parents to his speech in which he pressed for stricter gun laws.

Police charged two men in
Pendleton's death. They said the two were gang members seeking revenge
and mistook Pendleton for someone else.

This post was edited on 9/20 6:44 AM by djegators

LINK

Chicago was such a nice, peaceful city before the gun control nuts turned it into a war zone.

Originally posted by GatorTheo:
Chicago was such a nice, peaceful city before the gun control nuts turned it into a war zone.
lol. nice sarcasm

16c12cj.jpg

fegpoj.jpg

1zd6o9e.jpg

Table 3 (pdf)

DJE sermonizing about intellectually honesty???

CITY BY CITY PER CAPITA HOMICIDE RATES IN 2012 (Per 100,000 residents)
FLINT 61.9884
DETROIT 54.5895
NEW ORLEANS 53.1865
JACKSON 35.8079
5. ST. LOUIS 35.4602
BALTIMORE 35.0134
NEWARK 34.0617
OAKLAND 31.5405
BIRMINGHAM 31.4162
10. BATON ROUGE 28.5097
STOCKTON 23.7375
LITTLE ROCK 22.9527
KANSAS CITY 22.6258
MIAMI GARDENS 22.4867
15. PHILADELPHIA 21.5081
CLEVELAND 21.3317
MONTGOMERY 21.0508
MEMPHIS 20.2301
RICHMOND 20.2118
20. ATLANTA 18.9914
CHICAGO 18.4612
HARTFORD 18.3702
BUFFALO 18.2903
SOUTH BEND 17.7518
25. ROCHESTER 16.9817
Source: FBI, via University of Chicago Crime Lab

It would be interesting to plot lefty's bar graphs with the dismantling of public houzing complexes in Chicago. That resulted in a number of criminals relocating to other, smaller cities like Memphis.

Originally posted by neoteric lefty:
DJE sermonizing about intellectually honesty???

CITY BY CITY PER CAPITA HOMICIDE RATES IN 2012 (Per 100,000 residents)
FLINT 61.9884
DETROIT 54.5895
NEW ORLEANS 53.1865
JACKSON 35.8079
5. ST. LOUIS 35.4602
BALTIMORE 35.0134
NEWARK 34.0617
OAKLAND 31.5405
BIRMINGHAM 31.4162
10. BATON ROUGE 28.5097
STOCKTON 23.7375
LITTLE ROCK 22.9527
KANSAS CITY 22.6258
MIAMI GARDENS 22.4867
15. PHILADELPHIA 21.5081
CLEVELAND 21.3317
MONTGOMERY 21.0508
MEMPHIS 20.2301
RICHMOND 20.2118
20. ATLANTA 18.9914
CHICAGO 18.4612
HARTFORD 18.3702
BUFFALO 18.2903
SOUTH BEND 17.7518
25. ROCHESTER 16.9817
Source: FBI, via University of Chicago Crime Lab
I thought Katrina displaced all the murderers to Houston from New Orleans.

This post was edited on 9/20 9:29 PM by passoverGator

Originally posted by Rushie:
It would be interesting to plot lefty's bar graphs with the dismantling of public houzing complexes in Chicago. That resulted in a number of criminals relocating to other, smaller cities like Memphis.
Go ahead lefty, you love graphs, I am lazy, so show me where this isn't true. I was unaware of this, but if that happened it is very relevant.

Interesting that it is ME who is labeled as dishonest by talking about the fact that the FBI labeled Chicago the murder capital...maybe lefty will cut and paste and properly inform them that it is a different leftist run urban area that should receive that honor?

FBI: Chicago passes New York as murder capital of U.S.

The city of Chicago registered more homicides than any city in the
nation in 2012, surpassing even New York ? despite the fact that the
Second City has only one third as many residents as the Big Apple.

In new crime statistics released Monday,
the Federal Bureau of Investigation reported 500 murders in Chicago in
2012, up sharply from the 431 recorded in 2011. New York reported 419
murders last year, compared with 515 in 2011.
This post was edited on 9/20 9:45 PM by djegators

LINK

there may actually be a bit of truth to Rushie's point... black population in certain areas has dropped in the last 10 years, some of which probably can be connected to the demolition of large housing projects near the epicenter of the city. I doubt it would be a major cause, though.

Hardly surprising that BONG would assert (or co-pilot in this case) a point without any evidence and then require someone else to provide evidence to refute it. The "Alex Jones"-ian methodology of debate: "Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence."

If you would like to do research on the subject, then please use your google machine (or your local library) to find out more.

"Interesting that it is ME who is labeled as dishonest by talking about the fact that the FBI labeled Chicago the murder capital"

please show me in the press release or the publication itself where FBI labeled anywhere the "Murder Capital". They collected and published data that does show that the # of murders was highest in the city of Chicago, the 3rd largest city in the nation.

Its funny that DJE skips the other data that shows that murders and murders per capita are near historically low levels in Chicago over the past 50 years and murders per capita aren't near the highest in the nation for metropolitan areas (which include many cities with much more lax gun control laws than Chicago).

That's ok. Its not like he really cares about the victims in Chicago, it just makes a convenient political tool for him because Obama is from there.

there may actually be a bit of truth to Rushie's point... black population in certain areas has dropped in the last 10 years, some of which probably can be connected to the demolition of large housing projects near the epicenter of the city. I doubt it would be a major cause, though.

Hardly surprising that BONG would assert (or co-pilot in this case) a point without any evidence and then require someone else to provide evidence to refute it. The "Alex Jones"-ian methodology of debate: "Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence."

If you would like to do research on the subject, then please use your google machine (or your local library) to find out more.
Actually, all I said was show me some data, I fully admitted I wasn't interested in doing it. I know that you already did it, hoping to find that the data was false, and then didn't post it because it didn't support your argument. Your cop out is all I needed to know rushie was correct.

Originally posted by BigOleNastyGator:

Actually, all I said was show me some data, I fully admitted I wasn't interested in doing it. I know that you already did it, hoping to find that the data was false, and then didn't post it because it didn't support your argument. Your cop out is all I needed to know rushie was correct.
Again, "Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence," from BONG. He just KNOWS it to be true.

psychiccatcan.jpg

Again, "Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence," from BONG. He just KNOWS it to be true.

psychiccatcan.jpg
Not what I am saying at all. As usual this is you taking what I am saying and making it say something else, pretty typical of you really, I don't even get mad any longer.

What I am saying is I know you. I know you love to post graphs and charts, even if they don't necessarily say what you want them to or come from extremely biased sources. I know rushy having said that set you off to moveon.org and the DNC website scurrying about for charts that said this wasn't true, I know your posting style so I am fairly comfortable in making this claim. I know you couldn't find anything that would support your pro gun control stance and thus you didn't post anything at all.

This wasn't my theory. I merely pointed out that I'd be interested to know how much meat was on the bone re his comments. But, you're engaging in your personal jihad against me, and have made a theory that I didn't advocate and have admitted i don't know if its true or not, into a pet theory of mine that I am advancing. Stop arguing like a woman. Deal with what I actually said or don't address me at all.

This post was edited on 9/22 10:58 AM by BigOleNastyGator

Go ahead lefty, you love graphs, I am lazy, so show me where this isn't true. I was unaware of this, but if that happened it is very relevant.
Notice this statement, I said I was unaware and "if"....somehow you turned that into me saying this was exactly true. You're not very subtle and you don't pay attention to what is actually said, but what you want/hope was said becomes the subject of snarky little half cocked tirades. I even asked you to show me where this wasn't true. I know you went to all the websites that tell you your opinion. And as I said in my previous post I know you didn't find anything or it would have been posted in this thread.

BONG, can't recall where I read about it originally, but there is a commentary piece on Huffington Post. I'll link when I can.

Not what I am saying at all. As usual this is you taking what I am saying and making it say something else, pretty typical of you really, I don't even get mad any longer.

What I am saying is I know you. I know you love to post graphs and charts, even if they don't necessarily say what you want them to or come from extremely biased sources. I know rushy having said that set you off to moveon.org and the DNC website scurrying about for charts that said this wasn't true, I know your posting style so I am fairly comfortable in making this claim. I know you couldn't find anything that would support your pro gun control stance and thus you didn't post anything at all.

This wasn't my theory. I merely pointed out that I'd be interested to know how much meat was on the bone re his comments. But, you're engaging in your personal jihad against me, and have made a theory that I didn't advocate and have admitted i don't know if its true or not, into a pet theory of mine that I am advancing. Stop arguing like a woman. Deal with what I actually said or don't address me at all.
Notice this statement, I said I was unaware and "if"....somehow you turned that into me saying this was exactly true. You're not very subtle and you don't pay attention to what is actually said, but what you want/hope was said becomes the subject of snarky little half cocked tirades. I even asked you to show me where this wasn't true. I know you went to all the websites that tell you your opinion. And as I said in my previous post I know you didn't find anything or it would have been posted in this thread.
"Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence."

"... I am lazy, so show me where this isn't true. I was unaware of this, but if that happened it is very relevant."

Requiring evidence to disprove a thesis, but needing none to assert it as true.

"Your cop out is all I needed to know rushie was correct."

Again, going by the tea leaves you assign for gathering knowledge...

"I know you love to post graphs and charts, even if they don't necessarily say what you want them to or come from extremely biased sources."

Well, the graphs I posted above come from the Chicago police department's annual crime reports (links were posted). I guess that is another 'biased source' you think I post from.

"I know you couldn't find anything that would support your pro gun control stance and thus you didn't post anything at all."

I find it funny that you think I didn't post a link or a story, so therefore my position is inherently weak, yet Rushie post an anecdotal premise about housing projects, and you have jumped on board before the ink is dry. What's the term I'm looking for? Oh yeah, confirmation bias...

I actually agree about his premise, but no so much about the magnitude of effect, because I actually live in the city of Chicago, near some of the areas in question. I play coed softball at the field next to where the (in)famous Cabrini-Green housing buildings used to exist on the Near North side of the city, before being demolished. The bar where I watch Gator games is 3 blocks away from there.

Stop arguing like a woman. Deal with what I actually said or don't address me at all. "

This is hilarious because your actual words are enough to make you look foolish (see quotes above). I think there can be legitimate and different viewpoints when it comes to gun control laws on the federal, state, and local levels. Some folks here, like you and and DJE, don't care about that discussion. You are about wielding political axes for your own self-justification. Where are the posts (or outrage) about the crime problems in New Orleans, St. Louis, Jackson (MS), Birmingham, Miami, etc. all of which have crime problems that meet or exceed that of Chicago??? Let's look at their gun control laws and see if there is even a correlation, let alone a causation, between gun control and gun crime and total crime.

Sorry lefty, you're just chasing your tail running around in circles. It wasn't my statement. I said I wasn't sure if it was true and that I'd be interested in knowing if it was. In you desperate crusade to question my intelligence you're once again putting words in my mouth and intent where there was none.

Again, argue like a man or just ignore me with your womanly passive aggressive blather, thanks.

"Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence."

"... I am lazy, so show me where this isn't true. I was unaware of this, but if that happened it is very relevant."

Requiring evidence to disprove a thesis, but needing none to assert it as true. but if isn't exactly a statement of acceptance as fact now is it?

"Your cop out is all I needed to know rushie was correct."

Again, going by the tea leaves you assign for gathering knowledge... Just an opinion, I still believe that. Had there been some convenient graph, anywhere at all, you'd have posted it. There isn't a person reading this that doesn't believe that about you.

"I know you love to post graphs and charts, even if they don't necessarily say what you want them to or come from extremely biased sources."

Well, the graphs I posted above come from the Chicago police department's annual crime reports (links were posted). I guess that is another 'biased source' you think I post from. I wasn't talking about this thread specifically, but since you're bringing it up, I doubt all government sources as a matter of course.

"I know you couldn't find anything that would support your pro gun control stance and thus you didn't post anything at all."

I find it funny that you think I didn't post a link or a story, so therefore my position is inherently weak, yet Rushie post an anecdotal premise about housing projects, and you have jumped on board before the ink is dry. What's the term I'm looking for? Oh yeah, confirmation bias... I addressed this already, but since you're obviously slow, I will tackle it again, the words but and if aren't embracing something as fact, work on your comprehension skills.

I actually agree about his premise, but no so much about the magnitude of effect, because I actually live in the city of Chicago, near some of the areas in question. I play coed softball at the field next to where the (in)famous Cabrini-Green housing buildings used to exist on the Near North side of the city, before being demolished. The bar where I watch Gator games is 3 blocks away from there.

Stop arguing like a woman. Deal with what I actually said or don't address me at all. "

This is hilarious because your actual words are enough to make you look foolish....Obviously not, since i've eviscerated your feeble accusations, perhaps you want to try again?[/B]
And as usual you have no idea what you're talking about and have either a tenuous grasp of the language or are being willfully obtuse.

I am tired of these exchanges with you, I'll offer you one last chance for normal interactions, after that I'll just stop bothering to respond to you.

This post was edited on 9/24 1:23 AM by BigOleNastyGator

normal interactions = blind agreement with you

no thanks

This post was edited on 9/24 12:42 AM by neoteric lefty

no thanks

Nope, not what I am looking for at all, but of course you'd see it that way, you are what you are.

no thanks

Nope, not what I am looking for at all, but of course you'd see it that way, you are what you are.
Ya gotta admit.....it's pretty amazing that every single person who disagrees with your opinion is either ignorant or 'intentionally obtuse'. There's a definite pattern here.
wink.r191677.gif

Here's the link to HuffPo piece. Crime may have dropped in Chicago (Atlanta also mentioned), but where the transplants went/were placed........not so much.

Our crime is down! Sucks to be you!!

no thanks

Ya gotta admit.....it's pretty amazing that every single person who disagrees with your opinion is either ignorant or 'intentionally obtuse'. There's a definite pattern here.
wink.r191677.gif
The problem with you is that you try and make everything into something it isn't to fit what you're most bitter about. You take incredible logical leaps to make unrelated incidents relevant to what you want to cry about. Sometimes this comes off as obtuse and/or ignorant.

As far as lefty goes, all you have to do is look at what he tried to do in this thread to understand what we are working with.

I'll give you an example of opposition I can respect, while some times he resorts to yours and lefty's tactics, most of the time he makes intellectually honest statements, I disagree with him but I can respect his opinions often enough, that poster is Bad.

let me throw an olive branch out there and bring this around to something we can agree on. Its my opinion, changes can be made that will have a larger affect on the violent crime levels in Chicago and elsewhere when it comes to the laws surrounding drug usage and distribution. We are taking a set of products (that range in effect to relatively benign to harmful), and creating a dangerous black market for these items. This not only dramatically increases their worth, but also creates the incentive for using force to acquire and protect the market(s) to sell these items. We can reduce the worth of these products by decreasing demand (through education and rehabilitation) and also by lowering/eliminating the criminal penalties surrounding the use of these items. This will also reduce the number of criminals we create simply by putting low-level offenders in custody for extended periods of time with hardened criminals, who, when released, have relatively few options for a livelihood besides escalating criminal activity.

I think we could cut down on crime by sterilizing people with multiple felonies.

let me throw an olive branch out there and bring this around to something we can agree on. Its my opinion, changes can be made that will have a larger affect on the violent crime levels in Chicago and elsewhere when it comes to the laws surrounding drug usage and distribution. We are taking a set of products (that range in effect to relatively benign to harmful), and creating a dangerous black market for these items. This not only dramatically increases their worth, but also creates the incentive for using force to acquire and protect the market(s) to sell these items. We can reduce the worth of these products by decreasing demand (through education and rehabilitation) and also by lowering/eliminating the criminal penalties surrounding the use of these items. This will also reduce the number of criminals we create simply by putting low-level offenders in custody for extended periods of time with hardened criminals, who, when released, have relatively few options for a livelihood besides escalating criminal activity.
The simple decriminalizing of drug use and possession would save the tax payers billions. It is also a travesty that we propagandize ourselves as the land of the free and we account for 25% of the world's imprisoned population. The for profit prison industrly would never allow what you're talking about, them combined with law enforcement labor unions that need to justify their jobs as well, will lobby hard and grease palms to ensure our bizzaro world legal system continues.

Every time I think of a problem, all i see is hopelessness re embracing common sense solutions, we are so boned and we're past the point of the will of the people mattering any longer. :(

Perfect. Well stated.

Originally posted by oozie7:

Perfect. Well stated.
Yep, I always slam him when I think his ideas are bad, here he is dead on, give the devil his due.

Ya know, I never did get a straight answer from anyone (yes or no) about whether for profit prisons were private companies or not.

Ya know, I never did get a straight answer from anyone (yes or no) about whether for profit prisons were private companies or not.
Yea and no. Most of them are publicly owned though, or put another way, owned by their state governments. And then of course you have some of the federal governments. Relevance?

Yea and no. Most of them are publicly owned though, or put another way, owned by their state governments. And then of course you have some of the federal governments. Relevance?
So you are saying that 'for profit prisons' are owned by the government? In other words, they are NOT private companies.

They're usually subcontractors as I understand it, and it doesn't matter, laws used to increase incarceration rates to pad profit margins are unjust if public or private, I would argue it'd be even more egregious if it's public.

Listen, I know you lost your ass in the big crash and are now very bitter and whiney, butch up and go make more money, we're certainly printing enough of it.

So you are saying that 'for profit prisons' are owned by the government? In other words, they are NOT private companies.
And you did get a straight answer the first time, it wasn't one you could play with or slant to your "business man are poopie heads agenda" so you ignored it. I am not going to answer again, go find that thread and read it again.

Originally posted by djegators:
So the proposal is total legalization of all narcotics?
The human, financial, and liberty related cost of the "war on drugs" are so horrendous and unbearable that this is the only answer. Who are you to tell another man what he can ingest anyways?

Not all, but a good bit and in some states a majority. Why?

A month or so ago, someone was complaining about for profit prisons (private companies by most accounts) operating in a way that was detrimental to our country. I pointed out that was an unusual stance for this board (a for profit, private company doing something wrong) and widespread evasiveness ensued.
smile.r191677.gif

A month or so ago, someone was complaining about for profit prisons (private companies by most accounts) operating in a way that was detrimental to our country. I pointed out that was an unusual stance for this board (a for profit, private company doing something wrong) and widespread evasiveness ensued.
smile.r191677.gif
Well that would be silly of anyone, private companies are as prone as public ones to be corrupt. The only difference in my mind is that public companies do it on a grander scale (duh the government has the power).

In this situation though the public sector leads the market. We have more laws on the books than any country. We have almost 25% of the world's prison population. Private companies (for profit prisons) see this and realize that prison is a money making business. While I find that sick, can't blame them for taking advantage of a money-making opportunity. I

But it's really a sickening practice overall made possible mainly by the public sector. See mandatory federal sentencing guidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT