ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Grits notes - 9/23

SpaceGrits

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2022
James Madison (my favorite “small” school), scored 70 on UNC in Chapel Hill and beat the Tar Heels by 20. Looks like UNC might be looking for a coach soon too. That might be a good gig for Alex Golesh.

ESPN reported that Ron Roberts said he wasn’t sure the defensive players still believed in each other. He probably meant it to be motivational, but it’s still a strange thing to say in public and the players probably didn’t appreciate it. That’s dangerous, that’s how you lose a locker room.

Roberts part 2: @kcflagator opined that Roberts needs to be fired sooner rather than later. As he is closer to this situation and the people involved in it than I am, I’ll defer to him on that. I will say this though, Roberts’ defense didn’t look like this at Auburn. Austin Armstrong’s defense didn’t look like this at Southern Miss. Except for the inferior…sorry..interior DL, we have talent on that side of the ball. I believe there are either too many cooks in the kitchen or the scheme has something to do with it. Frankly, I'm done with the "Creeper" scheme altogether. It didn't work for Patrick Toney, it didn't work for Austin Armstrong, and it ain't working for Ron Roberts. Time to try something else.

I’ve already expressed my opinion of UF’s interior DL, I won’t pile on them again. The MSU OL did that for me.

The missed tackles are starting to mount and I fear the attitude in the locker room. Even steady guys like Shemar James were missing tackles. On the other hand, Mertz looked the best he has this year and we finally got a little ground game going…..against the 111th-ranked defense in the country. You don’t want to know who’s 112th.

I really wish that Ja’Kobi Jackson had another year of eligibility. That kid is good. Edit: He's a R-Jr so I got my wish!

I think Dez has gained weight.

Aiden Mizell is going to be a star. He has too much speed and too much “want it” to not be. Ditto Sharrif Denson (the two PI calls deep on our end of the field notwithstanding).

I love Montrell Johnson, I think he is a good football player, a good teammate, and an excellent person. He’s a solid RB. In my own humble opinion, he’s also RB4 in terms of explosiveness, speed, and ultimate production. That’s just how good our RB room is.

I’ve been asked when I think IT happens. Right now, we stand at 2-2 with UCF, Tennessee, and Kentucky coming up and another open date following the KY game. Lose all three and we’re 2-5 including 1-4 at home. UCF is the most winnable of the three but Tennessee…oof! Kentucky plays us hard when we’re good and we ain’t good right now. So being an optimist, call it 1-2 over the next 3 games with back-to-back losses in the latter two. Enter the open date. The admins and influential boosters are putting some things in place to handle the load with an interim coach and they probably need a little more time to get everything ready. They probably want to give whoever the interim is time to get his feet on the ground so the open date after Kentucky looms Dez Watson-like large. That’s when I think IT happens.

FSU had to score a late TD to beat Cal 14-9 at home. That’s Cal, not Southern Cal. What a weird year in Florida.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.