ADVERTISEMENT

Grantham Has Got To Go

TEBOW TIME

Rowdy Reptile
Dec 7, 2019
NO way in hell Florida should lose a game scoring 38 points. Up by 7 with 6 minutes to go and give up 10 points to lose. Kellen Mond and Spiller lit Grantham's defense plum the hell up. We can't tackle, put pressure on the quarterback and play with NO heart. We look like a high school team on defense. Kyle Trask needs to talk to the defense and tell them to show the hell up like the offense does. We are lucky as hell we aren't 0-3 right now cause we could be.

Reactions: gatordad3
NO way in hell Florida should lose a game scoring 38 points. Up by 7 with 6 minutes to go and give up 10 points to lose. Kellen Mond and Spiller lit Grantham's defense plum the hell up. We can't tackle, put pressure on the quarterback and play with NO heart. We look like a high school team on defense. Kyle Trask needs to talk to the defense and tell them to show the hell up like the offense does. We are lucky as hell we aren't 0-3 right now cause we could be.

I was thinking today during and after the game. I'm an old fart. I do not think we have had this bad a defense in close to 50 years. The 2007 defense might be close, when we had a juggernaut offense when Tebow won the Heiseman.........they were horrid that year too, skinny safeties playing linebacker,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I think even they were better than this bunch. Even when the Gators were horrid (no offense at all) we've ALWAYS have a respectable defense. This crew is shit. Sewage.

You guys have no excuse being this bad at defense. I actually think we would have a shot at you this year because everyone can smcore on you. You’re like Crapple’s mom.
Grantham's defense looks like a pitiful speed bump after the DOT shaved off the top 15 inches. In other words, it's a no loitering zone. Good lord, even Willie's defenses were better than this. I hope after Champ gets fired as USCe, he gets an interview to be DC.

Grantham didnt have a great game but man you guys cant tackle worth a flip. Its been a long time since ive seen a gator team be soft on the run

I'm honestly perplexed.

1. traditionally, defenses perform better with less practice time than offenses. But that is obviously not the case this year, and it seems to be pretty widespread. Look at the Alabama game right now.

2. Grantham is making backwards adjustments. I know he likes to blitz, and our front 7 is pretty good, but our secondary is problematic. The answer to that is NOT playing your DBs 7 yards off the line while still blitzing. It's simple math. If you blitz, the QB has to get the ball out faster, and if your DBs are giving the receivers a cushion, it makes it much easier to pass short and open things up.

3. I don't have a three, but I started numbering points so I had to make a third point.

4. our tackling is a joke but that seems to be true more and more every season in football as a whole.

Reactions: oozie7 and sadgator
I was thinking today during and after the game. I'm an old fart. I do not think we have had this bad a defense in close to 50 years. The 2007 defense might be close, when we had a juggernaut offense when Tebow won the Heiseman.........they were horrid that year too, skinny safeties playing linebacker,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I think even they were better than this bunch. Even when the Gators were horrid (no offense at all) we've ALWAYS have a respectable defense. This crew is shit. Sewage.
In 2007 we had a very young defense but we also had an awesome coaching staff led by Charlie Strong.
Bring back Jon Hoak!!! Haven’t seen Gator defense this bad since the Hoak days. It’s like there are 9 people out there playing defense. Wide open receivers.
Hoke The Joke? He wasn't as bad as Grantham but Hoke got the job only because Bob Stoops convinced Spurrier to hire him. I'll pass.

I'd take Charlie Strong back.

In 2007 we had a very young defense but we also had an awesome coaching staff led by Charlie Strong.

Hoke The Joke? He wasn't as bad as Grantham but Hoke got the job only because Bob Stoops convinced Spurrier to hire him. I'll pass.

I'd take Charlie Strong back.

Charlie strong would still have our DBs playing way off the line. He loved that shit.

Leadership reflects leadership and we have NONE on defense

Agreed but the tackling was just atrocious... After watching FSU attempt to tackle ND.... Im not sure which team tackles worse. Probably us but the fact that this is even in question. It sucks because your offense is championship caliber but tye D has just not been there this yr.

Agreed but the tackling was just atrocious... After watching FSU attempt to tackle ND.... Im not sure which team tackles worse. Probably us but the fact that this is even in question. It sucks because your offense is championship caliber but tye D has just not been there this yr.
No, you guys are worse. We would beat you by 3 td's at least.

Bring back Jon Hoak!!! Haven’t seen Gator defense this bad since the Hoak days. It’s like there are 9 people out there playing defense. Wide open receivers.
I honestly don't think Jon Hoke was this bad.

During his days we had the likes of Alex Brown flying around harassing QBs, Gerard Warren eating up RBs, Lito Sheppard, Keiwan Ratliff were true "no fly zone" type of corners, Todd Johnson and Marquand Manuel were safeties that could actually put a hard hit on skill position players, Andra Davis, and Travis Carroll were complete LBers. I mean even little CBs like Bennie Alexander and Robert Cromartie made plays, Thad Bullard, Kenard Ellis, MOJo, Clint Mitchell, and a few others.

Hoke was our weakest link for sure back then. Not going to lie. However it was always a hiccup here and there throughout the season...not every single game.

Now that all is said. Grantham sucks...but how many college teams currently playing have a good DC? Clemson....then UGA, after that they all are struggling hard right now. Even the great Alabama. They look like a strainer bowl trying to hold grease, LSU looks like an produce sack trying to hold water.

DC's aren't a dime a dozen currently. It's a very strange college football season.

I would take a look at Derek Mason as a DC once he gets fired by Vandy. But I agree I don’t really see a lot of great DC options out there right now. But that doesn’t mean we should keep Grantham either.

I would take a look at Derek Mason as a DC once he gets fired by Vandy. But I agree I don’t really see a lot of great DC options out there right now. But that doesn’t mean we should keep Grantham either.
True, but he'd be around for 2...maybe of we got extra lucky 3 years. If we improve on defense he'd be offered 2 million by a non P5 as a HC or he'd be intrigued to see if he could build up his resume again and at the least take a HC job at a HBCU or 1AA. The Sunbelt or MAC would snatch him up, if not the AAC.

Reactions: gatordad3
Grantham’s defense is heavily dependent on great DB play. If the corners can’t lock down the other team’s best receivers his defense becomes very predictable. It also seems his ability to adjust in game is lacking.

Grantham’s defense is heavily dependent on great DB play. If the corners can’t lock down the other team’s best receivers his defense becomes very predictable. It also seems his ability to adjust in game is lacking.

this. And he can't make and adjustment in the front 7 when His secondary isn'ttop notch.

Absolutely, fire his azz!

Because that will instantly make 3-4-5th year players wrap up and tackle.
They will also never over-run another play.
The DL'men will all get off blocks and stop the runs.
The LB'ers and safeties will then be able to cover all those short crossing routes.
They will no longer bite on fakes and will always cover deep.

Everyone knows that DC's that finish consecutive seasons ranked in the Top 10 in the nation are all over the place and they are all just begging to come to UF to right the ship.

PS
Grantham's D gave up 35 points to Ole Miss
Saban's D, with all of his 5-star players and army of assistants, just gave up 48 points to Ole Miss.

So I guess that takes Saban off the list of possible replacements at DC for UF.....

The LB'ers and safeties will then be able to cover all those short crossing routes.

Everyone knows that DC's that finish consecutive seasons ranked in the Top 10 in the nation are all over the place and they are all just begging to come to UF to right the ship.

PS
Saban's D, with all of his 5-star players and army of assistants, just gave up 48 points to Ole Miss.

So I guess that takes Saban off the list of possible replacements at DC for UF.....
I wouldn't take Bama's DC right now. Tell you that much.

PS

Mira absolutely bizarre how much you will cheerlead for a coach until the moment that they get fired, and then they are dead to you.

Abs then you slobber all over the next guy.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
The NCAA's newly released defense rankings:
Total Defense (76 teams)

2 Georgia (SEC)
12 Mississippi St. (SEC)
18 South Carolina (SEC)
23 Kentucky (SEC)
31 Tennessee (SEC)
39 Texas A&M (SEC)
42 Arkansas (SEC)
48 Auburn (SEC)
53 Missouri (SEC)
58 Vanderbilt (SEC)
65 Alabama (SEC)
71 LSU (SEC)
72 Florida (SEC)
76 Ole Miss (SEC)

Scoring Defense (76 teams)
6 Georgia (SEC)
22 Auburn (SEC)
24 Kentucky (SEC)
27 South Carolina (SEC)
31 Mississippi St. (SEC)
33 Arkansas (SEC)
37 Tennessee (SEC)
44 Alabama (SEC)
52 LSU (SEC)
56 Vanderbilt (SEC)
58 Florida (SEC)
62 Texas A&M (SEC)
70 Missouri (SEC)
76 Ole Miss (SEC)

Opponent 3rd Down Conversion Percentage (76 teams)
3 South Carolina (SEC)
10 Georgia (SEC)
16 Mississippi St. (SEC)
21 Kentucky (SEC)
25 Arkansas (SEC)
36 Vanderbilt (SEC)
42 Missouri (SEC)
46 Tennessee (SEC)
59 LSU (SEC)
64 Texas A&M (SEC)
69 Alabama (SEC)
71 Auburn (SEC)
75 Florida (SEC)
76 Ole Miss (SEC)

Grantham didnt have a great game but man you guys cant tackle worth a flip. Its been a long time since ive seen a gator team be soft on the run
Bad tackling, no pressure from the line and the secondary is constantly getting burned for big plays...consistently out of position...Safeties are well...you've seen it.

Reactions: fsu939913
I feel your pain and remember how excited i was when he came to georgia. Third and grantham is a real thing. I do think your defense will improve throughout the season, but its time to move on, it will be a problem for you folks, ill never forget the miracle at jordan-hare.

“Third and grantham is a real thing. I do think your defense will improve throughout the season, but its time to move on, it will be a problem for you folks, ill never forget the miracle at jordan-hare.”

We all knew Grantham’s defensive philosophy would eventually become tiresome. I just didn’t think it would happen when we had our first legitimate chance at a MNC in over a decade. geez

Sometimes it's the defensive system.
Sometimes it's the defensive players not getting it done.
And sometimes it's a bit of both.

This time, jmoho, it's some of the starters playing poorly and the coaching staff not making the adjustments.
I understand loyality and taking care the guys that have been here, but it seems to be going on past the good of the team. It's past time for 'the best man' to be getting the snaps.

Mira absolutely bizarre how much you will cheerlead for a coach until the moment that they get fired, and then they are dead to you.

Abs then you slobber all over the next guy.

While you slobbered all over Franks for 4 years and constantly dissed on Eagle Scout Kyle Trask, the guy that wasn't even the starter in HS, was the 2,000-something ranked recruit, and a 2-star.
Then when Kyle proved you to be the clueless PoS that I've always called you, you jumped right on his bandwagon. Flip-Flop dunnygoater...

Thank God that your biological daughter won't have to put up with the incompetent half of her biology while she's growing up. Dumping her on another man to raise, might be the only good thing that you've ever done in your life? 🤓

Looking at who you always try to prop up in each instance, and who you bend over backwards to cover for, you're looking a bit like a racist to me.... 😏

"I think the same thing defensively. You’re looking and saying, 'Are we asking guys to do things?' I think one thing you look defensively that we spend our time on is now, 'Are we sound or not?' I know what we’re doing is sound. We’ve got a great coaching staff and I know our scheme is sound. But now, as guys are performing here on a live basis within a game, there’s a lot of new faces out there for us as well. Are we putting them in a position to make plays? Even though this is sound, right, this guy, we’re putting him … he’s not going to be as good at doing this; we need to put him in a position to be something that he’s going to do really well. If we struggle doing something, make sure we’re not putting those guys in that position, right?" -- Dan Mullen

Not really. If anything, his scheme puts DB’s at a disadvantage snap after snap. Grantham has this reputation of being this blitz heavy guy but his scheme is actually very conservative. He plays his DB’s off the line of scrimmage 5-7 yards off the ball every snap so he can do his stupid pattern matching bullsh*t. He’s content to give up the short stuff up and down the field. He only really sends the house once offenses are in scoring position and when he does it’s almost always with a secondary player so he’s taking players out of coverage. His blitzes are telegraphed and unsound. You don’t take players out of coverage in an obvious passing situation, those type of blitzes are for the occasional surprise.

Then there’s also his rush 3, drop 8 scheme he loves to run on 3rd downs which gives QB’s all day to find an open man. It’s simple math, 5 can easily block 3. It’s why 3rd and Grantham is a thing and why historically his defenses can’t get off the field on that down. If you rewatch the A&M game on some 3rd downs you can barely see the damn DB on the screen they’re lined up so far back. He’s garbage and there’s a reason he’s been fired twice already before UF. If Mullen is serious about winning this is his last season here.

Reactions: SwampMaster
I honestly don't think Jon Hoke was this bad.

During his days we had the likes of Alex Brown flying around harassing QBs, Gerard Warren eating up RBs, Lito Sheppard, Keiwan Ratliff were true "no fly zone" type of corners, Todd Johnson and Marquand Manuel were safeties that could actually put a hard hit on skill position players, Andra Davis, and Travis Carroll were complete LBers. I mean even little CBs like Bennie Alexander and Robert Cromartie made plays, Thad Bullard, Kenard Ellis, MOJo, Clint Mitchell, and a few others.

Hoke was our weakest link for sure back then. Not going to lie. However it was always a hiccup here and there throughout the season...not every single game.

Now that all is said. Grantham sucks...but how many college teams currently playing have a good DC? Clemson....then UGA, after that they all are struggling hard right now. Even the great Alabama. They look like a strainer bowl trying to hold grease, LSU looks like an produce sack trying to hold water.

DC's aren't a dime a dozen currently. It's a very strange college football season.

Oh, I dunno. I'm still pissed at Hoke. If the game clock had not expired Travis Stephens would still be running. Worst defensive coaching adjustments I've ever witnessed and it cost Spurrier another National Championship.
2001 Joke at Hoke UT game. I'll never forgive that.

I've never been on board with Grantham but I don't know if the talent is underdeveloped or just not there on defense. ????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT