ADVERTISEMENT

Geoff Collins

Aug 28, 2010
Is he becoming better schematically, or did Boom just stock that much talent on D?

I always thought he was unqualified for a marquee job like UF, but maybe I was completely wrong.

The defense is legit and tuned up....we have a long season ahead of us but we looks really good systematically...I think that he gets a lot of credit for that.

We will find out soon I guess. Real curious to see how it holds up against the LSU running game.

Collins is pretty aggressive schematically as in that he likes to bring the heat and blitz a good amount. He's more aggressive than Muchamp. We have good coaches on the defensive side of the ball that can develop players. Look who our positional coaches are. Rumph on the Dline, Shannon at LBs and Gray at DBs. Those guys are top 5 in the country as positional coaches.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Collins is pretty aggressive schematically as in that he likes to bring the heat and blitz a good amount.

Agreed. He plays a style of defense that involves a bit more risk. But with a higher reward. Press, tight man coverage. Occasionally zone, but not often.

Agreed. He plays a style of defense that involves a bit more risk. But with a higher reward. Press, tight man coverage. Occasionally zone, but not often.
Our secondary is probably the best in the country...we can afford to bring it. There was a lot of questions about Collins...IMO the defensive staff is REALLY solid...if players make plays then we're good on that side.

He's been very aggressive this year, but that's because we don't get much of a pass rush with just 4, not from the ends anyway. But we can be that aggressive because our corners and safeties can match up with anybody. We'll be tested the first time we play a decent throwing team because we won't be able to vacate the middle of the defense blitzing our linebackers like we do our else it's an easy 5 yard completion to the TE over and over.

He's been very aggressive this year, but that's because we don't get much of a pass rush with just 4, not from the ends anyway. But we can be that aggressive because our corners and safeties can match up with anybody. We'll be tested the first time we play a decent throwing team because we won't be able to vacate the middle of the defense blitzing our linebackers like we do our else it's an easy 5 yard completion to the TE over and over.
Jordan Sherit and Zuniga would disagree. Both those DEs have quite a few sacks with just rushing the front 4.

Jordan Sherit and Zuniga would disagree. Both those DEs have quite a few sacks with just rushing the front 4.

Against what quality? Rumph has stated we don't have much of a pass rush from the ends, you disagree with him too? We blitz the way we do for a reason. We were less aggressive last year because we could afford to be.

Against what quality? Rumph has stated we don't have much of a pass rush from the ends, you disagree with him too? We blitz the way we do for a reason. We were less aggressive last year because we could afford to be.
That isn't what you said in your initial post. You just said we don't get a puss rush from our DEs. That is just an incorrect statement. Sherit and Zuniga are getting lots of pressure on the QB. We can only play who is on the schedule.

That isn't what you said in your initial post. You just said we don't get a puss rush from our DEs. That is just an incorrect statement. Sherit and Zuniga are getting lots of pressure on the QB. We can only play who is on the schedule.

No I said we don't get much of a pass rush from the ends. How does that equate to we get NO pass rush at all like you're implying I said? You took my comment out of context and are basically arguing against an opinion nobody expressed. If we could consistently get pressure from our ends, we wouldn't blitz as much as we do. Disagree with Rumph I guess.

Reactions: seffnergator
I agree with Oozie. Our ends don't turn the corner well at all. I'm really surprised about that, there's no reason that UF shouldn't have a dominant DE every single year.

If I have a major complaint about this staff it would have to be the edge rush recruiting and development. DBU is nice and all, but DEU wins championships. ijs

I agree with Oozie. Our ends don't turn the corner well at all. I'm really surprised about that, there's no reason that UF shouldn't have a dominant DE every single year.

If I have a major complaint about this staff it would have to be the edge rush recruiting and development. DBU is nice and all, but DEU wins championships. ijs
II strongly disagree with all of your comments. Zuniga has 4 sacks on the year. Zuniga was also a 3 star recruit that I would say is being developed very well. Sherit has 2 sacks and true freshmen Polite has 2 sacks. Polite is another DE recruit that is being developed nicely, although he will likely end up a DT. I would say Sherit has been developed very well. He's making a bigger impact than a lot of people thought when he was being recruited.

As for recruiting we have done a very good job with DE recruiting. Cece Jefferson, Keivonnis Davis, Jabari Zuniga, Jordan Smith, Jachai Polite, Antonneus Clayton and current commit Zach Carter.

Reactions: instaGATOR
He's been very aggressive this year, but that's because we don't get much of a pass rush with just 4, not from the ends anyway. .

I do not agree at all. We have 16 sacks this year. Here are the ones by the DL.

Sherit 2
Zuniga 4
Ivie .5
Johnson .5
Brantley 1
K. Davis .5
Polite 2

That is 10.5 sacks out of the total of 16 by the defensive line. To put it in perspective, Florida is number one in the nation in sacks @ 16. If we only had 10.5 sacks, that still ranks #11 nationally.

Yes, you are going to say when we rush more than four, it frees up the DL a little more, as LB'ers or DB'ers have to be accounted for. But that is true for ALL teams.

You make valid points Paco. I just don't see a dominant edge rusher without the blitz packages. It seems the majority of our sacks are the result of chaos, were the play breaks down because of linebackers and DT bringing pressure.

I just don't think we have anyone who could be a game changer in a base package. I wish we had a couple guys who could win the edge consistently one on one against the tackle without bringing pressure.

Week 4

3-0 UF - 19. AP -- 16. Coaches (lost starting QB)

3-0 TN - 14. AP -- 12. Coaches (lost starting AA CB)

The Gators are now ranked No. 1 nationally in several defensive categories: total defense, scoring defense, sacks, opponent first downs and opponent long scrimmage plays. They also rank No. 2 in passing and rushing defense. Florida hasn’t faced any offensive juggernauts yet, but that won’t start against Tennis-sea either.
The rubber-dollies rank 101st nationally in total offense.

McElwain closes practices this week -- 'loose lips, sinks ships.'

Note: Coach, this week, let Ed-dy kick the FG's when they are available. :)

Recruiting and Redshirting Updates:
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...cessors-at-florida-ecruited-at-an-elite-level

It doesn't matter what we have faced so far, what outstanding QB's are we going to face this year that scare anyone? We don't play Chad kelly and we killed them last year because they can't run the ball... We will take everyones run away and make them complete tough passes on our ferocious DB's

It doesn't matter what we have faced so far, what outstanding QB's are we going to face this year that scare anyone? We don't play Chad kelly and we killed them last year because they can't run the ball... We will take everyones run away and make them complete tough passes on our ferocious DB's
Last year, Tennessee ran the ball pretty well, mostly because of Dobbs. He had 165 yards on only 15 running attempts (3 sacks for 29 yards).

We have to stop that this year.

We won't be missing all those tackles this year, that was the most in one single game ive ever seen from Florida.. they might have had half of the missed tackles for the season that day. Im not worried about their offense at all. AT ALL

Yep, fold ole tall and skinny up like a cheap suit that you keep in a bottom drawer... :D

I don't care how bad out competition has been...58 yards allowed in a game is unreal. I'm ready to see our D against TN this week...TN might have looked like crap so far but they will be bringing their A game...believe that.

He has been better than I thought he would be, or at least the defense has played better. Even in our bad losses, the defense hung in there pretty good until they caved under the pressure of playing without an o. The defense, particularly the secondary, has been absolutely loaded though. Be interesting to see how they play this weekend. If they are a dominant defense, they should dominate this team. Then it will be interesting to see what Collins does when some of these guys vacate.

All they have to do is just keep throwing up fades underthrown by 20 yards and the refs will do the rest.. can't wait to see the officials in this game. We get f***ed like no one in the conference combined and this one will be hilarious. Their only way to move the ball will be how N Texas did, flags.

Reactions: instaGATOR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT