ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Soccer and Texas Tie to Open UF Home Action

Corey Bender

Administrator
Mar 26, 2018
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The Gators showed grit under the unrelenting afternoon sun, hitting a late goal to force overtime in Sunday's home opener versus Texas. The first ever meeting between Florida and Texas ended in a double-overtime 1-all tie.

Sunday's scoring:

Texas scored its first goal of the young season in the 61st minute when Carlee Allen headed in Lexi Missimo's corner kick.

With the end of regulation looming, Florida found the tying goal in the 87th minute. Graduate Kit Loferski's left-footed strike from the top of the 18-yard box hit the far post and kicked in.

Sophomore goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg again provided the Gators with strong play. Her seventh and final save came with 30 seconds remaining in the second overtime. Missimo's 18-yard shot was headed to the upper slot, but Goldberg got her right hand on it to bat the ball up and then covered it to prevent it from rolling over the line.

Worth Noting

* Loferski scored both of Florida's goals this season. She tied Thursday's opener at No. 20 USF in the 47th minute and provided Florida with today's tying goal in the 87th minute.
* This was the first meeting between Florida and Texas, but it won't be the last. Texas and Oklahoma join the Southeastern Conference beginning the fall of 2025.
Records:
Florida: 0-1-1, 0-0-0 SEC
Texas: 0-1-1, 0-0-0 Big 12

What the Gators Said:

Areas of improvement from match one to today.

"I thought we were able to have the ball a little more. We are good enough to connect some passes once we are in possession. From the water break on today, I thought we did a much better job in midfield connecting what we would call an extra pass. We connected another ball, played out of pressure and it really started to change the game in our favor at that point." Florida Head Coach Tony Amato

Alexa Goldberg's play through two matches:

"Obviously you need a goalkeeper who can make saves. Alexa has set herself up to do that with her positioning and then she's really poppy in net so she can cover the goal and make saves. She has done well to come in and give us quality play at that position. She's done a nice job in both games so far. We still have some work to do in a lot of areas but we're happy with her progress." - Florida Head Coach Tony Amato

What was going through your mind on your goal?

"Sometimes, you just got to take a chance. I was talking to my dad before and telling him I was playing attacking mid. He said if you find a shot, look up and if it's open, rip a shot and hope for the best. That's kinda what I did." - graduate Kit Loferski

On Alexa Goldberg's play:

"Alexa is a bit of an inspiration right now. She's put the work in on and off the field. She deserves every minute she's been playing. We are stoked to see her succeed." - graduate Kit Loferski

Next Up:

Florida continues a three-match homestand Thursday versus Central Florida. The Knights opened the season Thursday with a 4-0 win over Texas.

Thursday, Aug. 22 vs. Texas
Time: 7 p.m. ET
Stadium: Donald R. Dizney Stadium

Reactions: fairviewgator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News