ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday thread

I don't have a problem with the 4-2-5 because its our base defense. We use Maye as a rover so he's basically the third linebacker except with more speed and range. That's why we fly around the way we do and can recover from our mistakes by using speed.

This is a good analysis. But from my perspective, if the DL are getting blown up on the LOS, and they were, then I want another LB'er in there. Especially if you know, KNOW they are not going to pass on the early downs deep in their own territory.

So I guess I am questioning using the 4-2-5 as a base defense. Especially given that our splits, slants and the such result in opposing teams running all over us.

For a team that doesn't get a pass rush right now being thin up front on the DL, we must either add another in the box or blitz more with the DB's on obvious downs.. and since you know we won't we have a coaching issue.

Quincy Wilson blitzed a few times on Saturday I believe. I know he got a sack.

and look what happens every time we blitz, every single time Anzalone blitzes i guarantee our opponents have negative yardage, he shuts it DOWN when he brings the heat... most of the time he either sacks the QB himself or bats the ball down

Don't agree with that. People tend to think that because a player is young they'll automatically improve because they get older and that just isn't the case. Sharpe is a junior and under year two of this staff...no improvement. Dillard is a junior and in year two under this staff...no improvement. Ivey, Johnson, and Jordan got tons of experience last year and are in year two under this staff...no improvement. So why should we assume they'll be better next year just because they're older? If that logic held true they'd have already shown some improvement over last year and they haven't. The young guys are as bad as they've ever been.

Let me rephrase it.

I don't think we have a lack of potential problem as much as a coaching problem.

I think the young players if properly coached can be good.

Let me rephrase it.

I don't think we have a lack of potential problem as much as a coaching problem.

I think the young players if properly coached can be good.

Agree with that then.

I think some of the players on the current line aren't good...mainly Dillard and Sharpe. But they are also put in bad situations over and over. Like pulling a guard in short yardage. Penetration should be expected, expecting a guy to pull and make that block before a defender gets in the backfield is almost impossible. Or like against UT going run, run, pass in the second half. Knowing we were gonna be conservative UT just run blitzed on 1st and 2nd then brought the house on 3rd which obviously just puts the oline at a disadvantage and makes them look way worse than they are. We don't do a lot to take pressure off them.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Just a FYI...

DE Jabari Zuniga 6-4 245 rsFr already has 5 sacks in limited playing time. :eek:
That leads the country for a freshman and is #7 overall in FBS. :cool:

Agree with that then.

I think some of the players on the current line aren't good...mainly Dillard and Sharpe. But they are also put in bad situations over and over. Like pulling a guard in short yardage. Penetration should be expected, expecting a guy to pull and make that block before a defender gets in the backfield is almost impossible. Or like against UT going run, run, pass in the second half. Knowing we were gonna be conservative UT just run blitzed on 1st and 2nd then brought the house on 3rd which obviously just puts the oline at a disadvantage and makes them look way worse than they are. We don't do a lot to take pressure off them.

Its just the one thing that irks me is when folks discredit the OL recruiting. They forget we had a spring game with like 6 scholly OL men. The coaches have worked to get the numbers up. Doing that you have to take projects like Fred Johnson.

They bitch about the quality of the recruits. But if you look at it, you mentioned Ivey hasn't improved head over heels after playing experience last season. He was one of those "quality" 5 star recruits but he isn't head and shoulders better than J. Taylor. He may be when all is said and done but right now one is about as good as the other.
Then like you mentioned Sharpe, he was a 4 star #25 at his position recruit. He is no better than the young guys playing who were rated 3 stars.

On the other topic I know you mentioned the playing time these young guys got. Most big time programs aren't starting too many true sophomores or redshirt freshman...less long true freshmen. There are the exceptions that do play early, I know. However most staffs prefer these linemen to be in that college weight room program for two years. The strength they gain in that amount of time is off the charts. The body fat they lose and muscle they gain is crazy.

The OL situation was a total disaster. A train wreck during a hurricane at the time of an earthquake doesn't even describe it. I mean when is the last time a OL transferred from Fordham to any SEC school and immediately started? I don't even see that happening at Vandy, UK, or SCar when they were in the dumps.

I'm just not sure what people living in reality expect on repairing the OL. Signing (2) 5 stars and (6)4 stars just isn't happening barring a miracle. And yes I know we currently only have one committed OL but I almost guarantee we sign 3 if not 4.

But yes, I hope Summers does something or is shown the door at seasons end. Same with Nord. Possibly the same with Nuss. I'll wait until LDR is full speed before judging Nuss.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
UF has a terrible OL and no pass rush from the D, and here's the stats to prove it:

Sacks through the first 5 games:

UF 19 for 132 yds

Opp's - 5 for 25 yds

:eek: --- Nev-ver mine..... :confused:

This is where stats are misleading. Against our SEC opponents, we only have 9 sacks. Or 3 per game. Which seems like a good figure until you realize that UT, UK, and Vandy are bottom of the barrel in pass protection. Likewise with our OL, early on Del Rio kept our sack numbers low by getting rid of the ball in situations where there were free rushers. The first game is one such example where we only gave up 1 sack but there was constant pressure.

Context matters. Of course you wouldn't understand that because you're a drone who just lists stats, most of which you don't even understand.

2016 Team Sacks:

1t. Ohio - 21
1t. Wash - 21

3t. Mich - 20
3t. duke - 20

5t. UF --- 19 (notice that's #1 in the SEC)
5t. Pitt - 19
=============

2016 Interceptions:

1t. SMU - 12
1t. Troy - 12

3t. Cinc - 10

4t. Neb - 9
4t. tOSU - 9
4t. BYU - 9
4t. AppSt - 9

8t. UF - 8 (notice that's #1 in the SEC)
8t. Clem - 8
8t. Memp - 8

Injuries, combined with a strengthening schedule, could hurt us down the road, but so far they have done pretty well imoho. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT